[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's /adv/ consensus on time management? – Pomodoro
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: __nobi_1959-1.png (154 KB, 800x345) Image search: [Google]
__nobi_1959-1.png
154 KB, 800x345
What's /adv/ consensus on time management?

– Pomodoro is a fraud and maybe only works for really dumb tasks that you can do 20 minutes at a time
– I appreciate the flow whenever it comes, but there is no way to trigger it (that I'm aware of) so this is a kinda useless concept
– Planning/keeping your commitments in a list definitely helps

Anything else?

Esp. interested in how you track time spent on various activities.
>>
>>17089798
Dude just get what needs to be a done and have realistic expectations
>>
>>17089798
Get rid of things that are a waste of time. See, now you have time.
>>
>>17089805
I'm not buying it. Surely there must be better and worse ways to manage your time.

Good point about expectations though.
>>
>>17089836
Nope this is all it is. Most people have trouble with the latter but the former does cause trouble for some. Neets can't do either.
>>
>>17089861
"latter", "former", what are you talking about lol?

I'm not a NEET if that's supposed to be an insult.
>>
>>17089894
Learn English
>>
>>17089835
This sort of, I've done a lot of research about this over the last several years. "Willpower" is a thing, but I see initial and sustained motivation, which seems to be more emotional as way more important. Also, willpower is primarily a factor in things you seem to derive no pleasure from or hate to do, consider why you hate to do it and work on that, it's all perspective.
>>
>>17090072
Let me elaborate a bit more, habits too, are the most effective, the pic related book explains the difference. Habits take very little energy, as they are, obviously, habitual. Whereas willpower is necessary in a relatively new task or one you deem as unpleasant. Willpower seems to be finite, comparable to muscle, which can be worked on.

So, the formation of habits allows you to use less willpower to complete a regular task and to preserve it for other occasions, habit formation seems to take anywhere from 25 to 90 days to form.

This is a bit off track from your question, but I do not quite follow the "time" aspect of your inquiry? But, I hope anyone reading who hasn't encountered this sort of stuff already finds it useful
>>
>>17090031
If I read something that is not literary fiction and can't understand it, there's something wrong with it.
>>
>>17089798
Task driven mindest. Always focus on results, not time invested.

Momentum is a huge factor. I woke up and started browsing 4chan today like an idiot and now my whole day is fucked. The most critical minute of the day is the first one after you wake up. Start with making your bed. Do some stretches. Tidy your room. Simple shit that isn't fun but not hard to do either. That establishes a little bit of momentum in the direction of productivity for your day. Transition that into the shit you need to get done.

Lists are good. Lists are a good trick. At night I make a bigass list of everything I want to do tomorrow. Seperate everything into as little pieces as possible like:
>Make Bed
>Drink bottle of water
>Neck streches
>Meditate
>shower
>send message to client
>transfer funds

and so on. big ass list of little shit. Cross those fuckers off with a nice red sharpie as you do them. Feels gooooooood. No breaks except to eat. Keep the momentum flowing and get your shit done early. Most people's productivity goes to shit after sundown.

keep at em
>>
>>17090107
Latter and former were in regards to
>>17089805
>>
>>17090098
Came across recommendations to record how much time was spent on each activity during the day to achieve some sort of accountability. Sounds like a non-issue, but I find it to be rather distracting to make a record somewhere every time I switch a task or an activity. I wondered if it is worth the effort at all or maybe there are techniques or software that you people can recommend.

>>17090109
Good points about momentum and task-driven mindset. Now that I come to think about it, you don't really have to think about time at all, just add more tasks/remove some if you end up having too much/too little time in the day. Not until it's time to stop focusing on discipline and start caring about efficiency at least.
>>
>>17089798
>– Pomodoro is a fraud and maybe only works for really dumb tasks that you can do 20 minutes at a time
>– I appreciate the flow whenever it comes, but there is no way to trigger it (that I'm aware of) so this is a kinda useless concept
That's part of the point behind pomodoro. Polyphasic sleepers train themselves to enter and exit deep sleep quickly by sleeping in short bursts; normal people take upwards of an hour or two to drop into deep sleep, while polyphasic sleepers can do it in minutes or, eventually, seconds. By doing this, they cut out periods of "shallow sleep" that don't really benefit us, while still getting all the good deep sleep.

Pomodoro applies the same principle, first to focus and then, later, to flow. The mandatory breaks force the brain to adapt: when you cannot focus on a task for more than 20 minutes at a time, there is little choice but to adapt by getting back in the groove as fast as you can. Eventually, in the search for better ways to use that 20 minutes, your brain figures out the trick to flow.

There is one catch, as I've learned the hard way: just as with polyphasic sleep, you have to stick to it, or else you lose it. I was up to regularly doing 14 pomodoros/day for about four months; now I struggle to track any any at all. I need to get back into it.
>>
>>17090218
Never tried pomodoro, but when I'm in the zone, I can easily stay there for an hour or two. Arbitrary breaks every 20 minutes seems incredibly counter productive to me.
>>
>>17090218
That interpretation of pomodoro is refreshing; I thought of it as something much more banal: a way to make wasting time "less wasted" by turning it into a reward for exerting effort.

Maybe you and I do different stuff in life, but splitting work into units of 20, 30 or even 40 minutes doesn't make sense to me. Often you have to immerse yourself completely into a task for several hours straight to get shit done.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.