[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Saw a thread where a fellow oldfag was giving advice and I thought
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 1387397172097.jpg (193 KB, 618x618) Image search: [Google]
1387397172097.jpg
193 KB, 618x618
Saw a thread where a fellow oldfag was giving advice and I thought I'd throw in my hat.

40 years old
Professional audio engineer
Two kids
Married for 16 years

Fucked up more things in my life than I got right but I'm a better man for it. Ask away.
>>
How do you keep a woman happy?

For say, 16 years?
>>
>>17087750

The most important part of any relationship is listening.

No matter what we go through my wife and I can always find a solution when we sit down and talk about it, face to face, no bullshit. Maybe we've been lucky, but its sustained us for almost two decades. If you would of told me that was going to be the case when I was 18 I wouldn't of believed it.

When we were younger we moved around a lot, went to concerts, had crazy nights on the town; keeping things interesting was easy. Now we have to put time aside just for us but regardless, making her happy makes me happy.

If making your woman happy doesn't make you happy you're probably with the wrong one.
>>
what is your height and weight. also,

what other boards do you frequent
>>
list the top 10 worst mistakes of your life in ascending order from 10th to THE worst
>>
>>17087803

I'm about 6'4, 260 pounds. I've gained a bit in my older years but I've always been a big guy.

I used to visit /mu/ every once and awhile but I've already checked out all of the bands they seem to be fixated on so its a bust at this point.
>>
>>17087739
How did you meet your wife?
>>
how the fuck are you make friends and have a social life when you have none? It feels like I'm trapped at the bottom of a well.
>>
>>17087809

I'm not sure if I can quantify the things I've done in my life as "mistakes". Every wrong decision I've ever made has at the very least left me a more informed, thoughtful individual. If it weren't for all my fuck ups I wouldn't be where I am now.

My biggest regret though was not putting the brakes on my dreams to be a "rock star" and dedicating myself to my wife and family sooner. I toured well into my late 20's and through a few of my daughter's first years I regret very much missing that. It was very hard on us emotionally and financially.

That's my biggest regret. Everything else doesn't come close to being on the road while my daughter grew up.
>>
>>17087811

I met her at a shitty punk show in south L.A. in the early 90's. I was the drummer for some terrible punk band and she was the girlfriend of the headliner's lead singer. I watched her and her boyfriend at the time hang out in the green room all night while I sat at the bar waiting to go on.

Around show time we talked for awhile and she helped me haul my equipment in through the back door then as soon as we finished she bummed a cigarette off me and disappeared. I remember being so nervous the entire time that I barely said a word and she told me later on she thought I was a little strange.

I saw her at another show 6 months later, she was single, we talked all night, traded numbers and the rest is history.

>>17087812

Life is about being uncomfortable. If you've worked yourself into a pattern where your comfort zone doesn't allow you to meet new people or try new things you've most certainly trapped yourself.

Find some bands or movies or pop culture events that you are passionate about and go seek them out, even if its uncomfortable. You'll find its a lot easier to talk to the people out at these places when its about things you both mutually love.

If you love a band, go to their shows. If you love an artist, go to their openings. If you love an author, go to their book signings and so on and so fourth.
>>
>>17087882
I guess when things are meant to be, they happen.
>>
>>17087739
I fucked up in my first year of college and am now searching for employment.

How long will it take for me to get back into college?
>>
Were you the one who wanted to have kids or your wife/joint decision?
Follow up if you were the one who wanted them when did you decide you wanted them?
>>
OP I've been studying audio (by myself, not in a fucking audio program) for 4 years. Can you get me a job? Please, it's the only thing that interests me.
>>
>>17087895

>How long will it take for me to get back into college?

Try something new, take a break from college if need be because who knows, a new opportunity might open up.

If your dream is to get a degree in a field of study you are passionate about then do whatever you have to do or take as much time as you need gain some perspective and properly motivate yourself to achieve what it is you want.

If you find yourself feeling very lackluster about the prospect of returning then work for awhile, explore your options. Don't rush back into doing something you hated or weren't dedicated to if you don't feel its the right choice for you.
>>
>>17087905

My advice to you if you're not in a position to go to school is dedicate every waking moment to studying audio engineering. Pound the basics into your skull a million times a day, wake up the next day and do it again.

Go down to your local studio and beg for an internship or apprenticeship every day until you get your foot in the door.

I was able to use connections from my touring days to get my start but if you're an unknown your best bet is literally pestering your way into the job. The kid working for me now came by every few days with the same mixing demo for a month until I finally listened to it.

>>17087896

Having children was something we definitely discussed before we got married. I always knew I wanted children and she felt the same way so we lucked out being compatible in that sense.

I knew I wanted to start having children when we bought our first home together. We had many wild years together but something about establishing a permanent place for ourselves really drove that instinct home for me.

We actually decided to start trying the second or third night we were in the house. We had been married for about 5 years, I had just quit the band and sold off a collection of old gear and we both sensed it was the right time.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.