[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I learn to drive?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: Verzweifelt.png (551 KB, 964x912) Image search: [Google]
Verzweifelt.png
551 KB, 964x912
/adv/ I need your help. I´m to retarded to drive and I have no idea what I can do about it.
I already spend nearly 3000€ on my drivers liscence and failed it 2 times.
My tutor said he has no idea how to teach me and what my problem is exactly.
My main problem is(I think), that I can´t multitask and can´t concecrate for a longer period of time. Like when he talks to me I completely fail everything else while driving, just so my brain can process his words.
After each driving session I am super exhausted, even though I fucked up the driving...
How can I be to retarded, to do the most basic thing, everybody seems to get?
>>
Don't give up anon. I had to take it three times and also blew over 3000 euro on it.
>>
>>17085482
My tutor basicly said to me, that he gave up ont me and doesnt know why I still try to get the liscence :(
>>
>>17085487
Have you tried driving a simulator with a steering wheel?
It might help a lot. Should be able to find one in your local game arcade or mini golf place

Can't really help much here, I've taken the license twice without failing anything.
(License pulled for excessive speeding)
>>
>>17085492
Honestly I am not retarded in other things.
I´m doing really good in university and am pretty fit. People don´t expect me to fails so hard in such easy tasks :/
>>
>>17085454
You can ride a bike right? Then drive a motorbike first.
After a couple of month experience of navigating traffic using the bike, half the problem of driving a car is solved and you're prime to retake the driving test.
>>
>>17085454
Try a different instructor. When we were trying to get my wife driving, she started off with one of the big national companies. Forty-something lessons and three tests later I was £4,500 (€5,800) out of pocket, and she never wanted to even get in a car again, let alone drive one.

About six months later I'm talking to some old guy in the local pub, turns out he was a driving instructor before he retired. Managed to talk him in to taking my wife out just the once, to see if he could work out why she was finding it so hard. She got on really well with it, and he agreed to give her two one hour lessons each week for £30/week (bear in mind with the other place I was paying £105 for one 45 minuite lesson a week). Three weeks later she passed her test with a perfect score.

I tried to give the guy a tip after that. Put £500 in an envelope and put it through his door with a thankyou card. Woke up the next morning to find an envelope on my doormat with the money in it and a note "saying thanks for the card" .
>>
Try a different tutor. Explain at the outset your previous experiences. You are going to have to dig deep.
>>
>>17085562
These kind of stories are the reason i sometimes feel happy to still be alive.
>>
>>17085562
=°=

that's a thing that people pay for where you live? you don't have a parent or friend that drives that can just take you round to an empty lot or down some back roads (at night, to avoid teh cops) for practice? what the whatting what.
>>
What the fuck is this thread? Do brit bongs actually spend thousands on fucking driving lessons? Nigga just get your dad or brother or someone to teach you, it is not difficult. I have never heard of anyone paying for driving lessons ever.
>>
>>17085612
Seriously this, what the FUCK am I reading.
>>
>>17085454
Just play GTA4. Solved.
>>
>>17085612
>>17085664
> clearly used the sign for Euros
>britbong

Come now.

> then again I spent about £1k on my driving lessons and tests so you have a point, but the British driving tests is a lot more intensive than almost any USA driving test
>>
>>17085664
>>17085612
I did that, with my dad in an rural parking lot, where nobody was. Civil cops came...
Fuck germany
>>
Tell me about your road tests, what went wrong?
>>
>>17085705
I did some super obvious mistakes :(
And I did better in the first test than in the second. Maybe cause my new tutor is shit. After the first test my tutor moved so I got a new one
>>
>>17085969
What mistakes?
>>
>>17085580
>>17085612
>>17085664
It's an insane euro thing.
>>
File: s10interior.jpg (70 KB, 960x719) Image search: [Google]
s10interior.jpg
70 KB, 960x719
>>17085454
stick shift or did they give baby an automatic?
>>
>>17085982
I once forgot, that another car had priority. The other time I didnt see a cyclist, and didnt wait for him(not a dangerous situation).
Things like that happen all the time, and it´s mainly because I can´t handle driving.
I´m like super exhausted after every drivin lesson
>>
>>17086029
Do you have much driving under your belt without an instructor? Like, around your neighborhood, or driving on routes you regularly are travelling on.

If you know you're capable, or think you are, try to drive on a quick local errand.

Run up to the gas station, or down to the grocery store. Something routine, something without pressure.

When I took my driving test, it was on roads I'd never driven on, and I made honest mistakes a new driver would in those situations.
>>
>>17086029
Maybe you just shouldn't be on the road, friend.
>>
>>17086060
I won´t drive ever again after I got my liscence, but my parents are pushing me and I already paid a lot of money for it
>>
>>17085487
You failed only 2 times. There are people out there who are over the 10th faill mark and more, but eventually they succeed. Stop feeling sorry for yourself and try again. You can do it.
>>
>>17086029
>I once forgot
>The other time I didnt see
You can't forget things like that friendo, nor can't you lose your situational awareness. If you're forgetting theory then work on it. Read the books, drill the traffic signs and rules inside your head. But don't just memorize them. Try to visualize in your head what you're supposed to do when you see the sign and do what it says. Then use that when driving. If you're unsure let someone test you.

And about the other thing. I suggest doing some more practice hours to make yourself more comfortable with the idea you're on the road. Situational awareness is something you develop in practice.
>>
>>17086193
That may be the problem I have no situational awareness. Like never. Idk how to explain it, but my brain stops working in situations like that.
I already took A LOT of practice hours and it doesnt seem to get better(at least not by much).
>>
>>17086223
What do you think about when you're driving? Try to describe your mental state when you're driving.
>>
>>17085612
And that's why American freedom roads are the deadliest
>>
>>17086236
I get into some kind of tunnel view and get like super focused. So for example when I concecrate on switching lanes, I completely forget other details, like speed etc. The worst is when my instructor talks, I just fuck up everything while he explains things to me.
I try to be not so focused, but it happens automaticly.
That´s the main reason why im exhausted after driving I think, cause being concecrated for such a long time isnt easy.
Do you think I try to hard and should be more chill about driving?
>>
>>17086257
>Do you think I try to hard and should be more chill about driving?
That may be so. You might be expecting too much of yourself too soon whereas getting your license should be about aquiring enough experience to get a license and start learning for real in your own car.

Chilling out would be a good idea. You seem stressed out simply. Changing your instructor seems like a good idea like another anon suggested. Some instructors aren't good at the mental part of teaching other.
>>
>>17086305
Also, how are you skills in actually operating a car? Do you keep thinking about what to do when accelerating, changing gears, etc. or has it become a habit already? By this time you should have grasped the subtle nuances of how the car behaves.
>>
stop masturbating
>>
I was once like you, terrified of driving, hated cars, parents forcing me to do it. I failed the test three times before I passed and didn't get my license until I was 25. That was 2 years ago, it was hard at first but now I work as an EMT and drive an ambulance every day. I won't say it was easy to get to this point but if I can do it you can do it. Don't give up.
>>
>>17086329
The actual operating works pretty fine i guess. I don´t fail changing the gears or something like that.
>>
>>17086409
Well then, I can't think of anything groundbreaking to advise you. Has your instructor ever driven with you by just stating the direction or place and you were on your own?

If you did then try to brake down the route on the go to steps, Think of 2 or 3 steps as you go and complete them. Once you do those assign yourself new ones until you reach your destination. You seem like the kind of person who thinks short-term and it might be the reason why you're so focused. Try to assign your actions to your way of thinking. In time you should increase the amount of steps and with it develop a broader way of thinking what's happening on the road.
>>
>>17086463
Yeah he always talks, never let´s me do things on my own, that may be a big problem too...
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.