[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will i get into Harvard if i am /fit/ /fit/? I got 2000 on SAT,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 9
File: harvard_shield_wreath.png (48 KB, 403x425) Image search: [Google]
harvard_shield_wreath.png
48 KB, 403x425
Will i get into Harvard if i am /fit/ /fit/?
I got 2000 on SAT, band 8 on IELTS and +100hours of voluntary work. I really want to go to Harvard because my crush went there brehs
>>
>>17042069
>Will i get into Harvard if i am /fit/ /fit/?

No, actually. You have too much thin privilege.
>>
>>17042070
what would a broad one look like? big tits?
>>
>>17042069

If you only got a 2000 and only have 100 volunteer hours then no
>>
>>17042072
will 2400 and 300 hours do? the last time i took SAT was 1 year ago. think i'm able to top my own score.
>>
File: 1457933440667.jpg (32 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
1457933440667.jpg
32 KB, 640x427
>>17042069
you're fucked

I got a 2250 and couldn't get into any ivy, my HS gpa wasn't bad either
>>
>>17042073

The way it works for ivy leagues, SAT/GPA are kind of a requirement to get them to even read your app.

Once they read your app, they look for extracurricular activities which determine whether you get in.

They actually read everyone's app but this is just my way of explaining that to them, the SAT is kind of a pass/fail (~2200 being a pass) and they really look at your extracurriculars as long as you pass that test. That said, a 2400 does look really good
>>
>>17042074
Fuck, I got a 2250 as well. Am I not gonna make it
>>
>>17042069
>my crush went there brehs
>studying for girls
>>
>>17042069
This is only adequate if you are colored senpai
>>
File: 1393496449272.jpg (18 KB, 395x387) Image search: [Google]
1393496449272.jpg
18 KB, 395x387
>>17042074
>32 on my ACT
>Automatically accepted into my state school
>Do pretty okay at my state school with lots of shadowing and volunteer work
>get into med school anyway

I'm sure there are significant advantages to attending an Ivy League if you are going into business, but I'm pretty okay with my life t.b.h.
>>
File: 1456427623390.jpg (11 KB, 323x323) Image search: [Google]
1456427623390.jpg
11 KB, 323x323
>>17042069
>>17042069
What's your race? I had a 2300, 3.8 (4.6 weighted), and a buncha leadership stuff and I couldn't get into Cornell.

You can probably guess, but I'm Asian. Shit is literally a -500 to your SAT score. Still go to a top school, so I'll answer any questions.
>>
Ok I never had a chance for Harvard but my friend did. Captain of the football team and won state. And a varsity track athlete. 4.0 because our school didn't go any higher. 35 on the act first in our class and took every single ap class we had. Volunteered his ass off and was in every imaginable student organization. Got 400 people to sign a petition to get him in. But this was the Midwest and he is white so he didn't get in. If you are a sophomore or a junior you might be able to do some great athletic feat but if you are a senior it's too late
>>
>>17042080
What schools did you apply to, which ones accepted you and which one did you end up attending?
>>
>>17042081
Really? This seems fabricated. No institution could be so thoroughly prejudiced against such a clear all-star.

I'm British, mind. A rap sheet like that would be an easy Oxford entry. Hell, I was accepted into Balliol for jurisprudence and I'm a fucking shitcan garbage piece of trash.
>>
>>17042079
>tfw studying for medical school entrance exams
>since the education is free, only the best are accepted
>test is literally down to one fuckup and this is my third year trying
I just want to bang hot nurses and have them call me doctor
>>
>>17042069
>I really want to go to Harvard because my crush went there brehs
kek
confirmed for not gonna make it
>>
>>17042084
br? sounds br
>>
File: Shrieking Yale Nigger.jpg (33 KB, 500x738) Image search: [Google]
Shrieking Yale Nigger.jpg
33 KB, 500x738
>>17042081
>But this was the Midwest and he is white so he didn't get in
And yet pic related went to Yale. Thanks, affirmative action! I'm not even /pol/ and this makes my fucking blood boil.

Let's face it, America is doomed.
>>
The best way to get into an Ivy League school is to either a) be a recruited athlete, b) be a legacy, or c) be a minority. Otherwise, you're fucked m8
>>
>>17042086
no idea what br stands for
>>
>>17042069
How you only do 100 hours volunteer work in high school? I did 400+ without even trying.
>>
>>17042082
Cornell, MIT, Johns Hopkins, Wash U, Northwestern, Georgetown, Vanderbilt, Emory, Berkeley, and my state school. Got into those last 5, ended up going to one of them.

Which ones are you thinking?
>>
>>17042089
He's asking if you're from Brazil.
>>
>>17042089
brazil
>>
>>17042088
> underrepresented minority

>>17042090
Agree lol. I did 300 hours and that was 'okay'. Had friends who got awards for 1000+ hours and shit.
>>
>>17042094
Do you have to do volunteer work in your school?
I never volunteered one minute and I'm 22.
>>
Hey dumbass, don't go to Harvard because your crush went there. Chances are, she'll probably get fucked by someone on that huge campus. Also, you don't pick a school for a girl. You pick a school that matches your career choice and would compliment your degree. This is how faggots like you go into debt and put college names before your personal interest.
With that being said:
my friend was accepted into Stanford and yale. Seeing how those probably have the same expectancy for harvard, she wasn't that special. Had a lot of volunteer hours as well, performed excellent in all of the classes. Since there will be applicants that are the same as you, what it boils down to is your personal essay and what makes you unique. You're probably not unique because you'd go to a fuckin school with no personal interest on the classes they offer; you're only in it for your crush.
Enjoy going into debt and having a shit degree
>>
>>17042091
I'm 31 and already graduated 10 years ago from my shitty state school. I had a 3.75 GPA and a 1210/1600 SAT with volunteering extra-currics as a college applicant. I only applied to shitty, cheap schools because I had no idea good schools actually give grants to undergrads. I obviously didn't study for the SAT at all and literally just walked in off the street due to pressure from teachers/guidance counselor. It's something I think about all the time--what if I actually tried in high school? And what if I applied to a good private school? I probably could have gotten accepted SOMEWHERE better than the shithole I attended. That is, CSULA, home of this atrocity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo6uBBmpS9I

Then again, I'm 75% white, 25% Asian and I'm a straight male who isn't a dyslexic Muslim, so I was probably fucked either way.
>>
>>17042095
Our county required a minimum of 75 hours. Of course if you did that bare minimum, you'd seem like a fuck. Keep in mind my 300 hours being 'okay' is compared to others in a HS program of overachievers though.

But yes, nearly everyone had 100+ hours.
>>
>>17042069
>I got 2000 on SAT

lolno fucking way unless you're a nigger
>>
I got accepted to my state school with no volunteer hours. You guys are fuckin try hards lol. I didn't even have good grades. I managed 3.1-3ish. I wasn't even in any clubs to add to my shit. Just a regular ass student.
>>
>>17042100
Are you even white?

Anyway, this is a thread full of people who actually, you know, want to succeed in life.
>>
>>17042101
What does being white have to do with anything?
>do I even want to succeed in life
Yeah no shit I do. That state school was my school choice because it was in the top for engineering classes. What I'm saying is, most of the time people just pick schools because of the name. You don't even need to do a lot to get into a good school. Look at me, I didn't do shit and I know I didn't have to do shit to get in
>>
>>17042096
>>17042096
I came from a magnet high school that fed heavily to Ivy schools and the like. Going through my friends, here's how they got in:

Columbia - Kind of stupid, HS varsity swim captain and record holder (white)
Columbia - Average intelligence, black girl
Columbia - Average intelligence, HS varsity basketball team captain, triple legacy (yep...) (Asian)
Yale - Pretty smart, very-well rounded in EC's (Asian)
Yale - A little smart, black guy
MIT - A little smart, very hard-working, under-privileged background (Asian)
MIT - Very, very smart guy (Asian)
Harvard - Pretty smart black female star track athlete

That said, ALL of them were significantly more qualified than you OP. Sorry OP, unless you're a gay black girl who cured cancer and is a varsity athlete on the side, with what you said, you're not getting into Harvard.

Also
> picking a college for a girl
top kek
>>
>>17042097
>>17042097
What do you do? I mean state schools are perfectly fine for some fields. I would've gone to mine if I didn't have to get away from my overbearing parents so badly. Had a pretty decent partial scholarship to my state school too.
>>
>>17042102
>What does being white have to do with anything?
It's much easier to get into most schools if you're non-white and non-Asian. If you're not white, you obviously don't have to try as hard.

>You don't even need to do a lot to get into a good school. Look at me, I didn't do shit and I know I didn't have to do shit to get in
You don't go to a "good school" with a 3.1 GPA unless you're a minority. I'm sure your school is okay but let's get real here, it isn't Harvard or Yale.
>>
>>17042105
There it is again. You don't go to a school for the name. It doesn't matter where you get your fkin degree. It's a degree in the end. You don't go to Yale or Harvard for an engineering degree you dumb shit
>>
>>17042105
Also the state school I got in is among the top 10 nation wide for engineering, so yes it is a good school.
>>
>>17042069
>2000
LOLNO

2250 here, didn't get into any ivy league schools. My friend who got 2400 and was top of his class with tons of extracurriculars was rejected from everywhere except Dartmouth.
>>
>>17042107
Scratch that, it's actually ranked 4th for bachelors/masters
>>
>>17042104
LOL, I majored in film, which is up there with Women's Studies on the list of useless majors. I eventually taught myself web design and a friend got me a job working for his design firm. I do okay, but my college experience was a waste in every sense of the word. I learned nothing useful, I went to a shitty school I hated (which was 60% obese Mexican chicks I wouldn't fuck with someone else's dick) and essentially wasted 4 years of my life.

Oh well, at least it was cheap and I had a Pell grant to help with tuition. Also, I graduated Magna Cum Laude, which maybe looks good on a resume. Or maybe not. But I realize I probably wouldn't have graduated with honors from a better school with a tougher curriculum.
>>
Ivy league schools are bullshit.

They accept most fake fucking people on this planet.

Like seriously the bullshit they do, they sacrifice their youth to participate in bullshit activities that most of them deep in their heart dont give two shits about. Doing all this volunteer just to put it on their resume. It's like a borderline insanity to me. I refuse to believe that an 17 - 18year old heart to heart truly cares about if pandas fuck or about water problems in africa and shit. Cmon, be real.

I would hate my life if I was surrounded by people like this. The same people that will end up being depressed and snorting coke in their thirties after being these "amazing superhumans" during their youth. Burning them selves out for something as meaningless as this day by day.

Also the way you get accepted (legacy/ preference to minority (quotas) / 2nd generation imigrants ) is bullshit. If you are white and not rich with people in your family that can't provide you with legacy privilege you are FUCKED.

And in the end, degree is a degree. You don't have to go to ivy league schools to be successful and have a well paid job. There are so many other good schools, and their degrees will be just as valuable and respected in job market. Just dont go to complete shitty ones and you will be fine.

These ivy league schools won't prepare you that much different for your future profession, they wont teach you different shit, you cant reinvent a wheel, they will teach you same theorems same laws, same rules, the difference just will be the name. And people who actually have lived long enough and have graduated know that your job experience is far more valuable than your stupid fucking degree from whatever stupid fucking school you went to.
>>
File: WhenWillTheyLearn.jpg (145 KB, 600x449) Image search: [Google]
WhenWillTheyLearn.jpg
145 KB, 600x449
>>17042106
>You don't go to a school for the name. It doesn't matter where you get your fkin degree. It's a degree in the end.
Actually, a degree from a big name school will in fact open doors degrees from lesser schools won't. It's up to you to make the most of the opportunities it affords, but people do in fact view graduates of Yale differently than graduates of Southwestern Palookaville State University. You can argue whether or not that is fair, or if it's silly and short sighted, but it is-what-it-is. Prestige matters. Name recognition matters.

To be honest, you kinda sound like a 5'7 guy rejecting the manlet label and saying "It's all bullshit! It's what's inside that matters most!"
>>
File: 1441159437707.png (80 KB, 688x1434) Image search: [Google]
1441159437707.png
80 KB, 688x1434
>>17042111
>>
>>17042084
In the US if you have certain scores and aren't severely autistic in your interview, you're pretty much guaranteed to be accepted. Otherwise if you fall in the middle or low end of the pack they start looking at your volunteer work and letters of recommendations to see if you've got a good heart to be a healthcare provider even if your academics aren't exceptional.
>>
File: images-6.jpg (7 KB, 188x251) Image search: [Google]
images-6.jpg
7 KB, 188x251
>>17042069
You might, but you'll never be straight edge.. fuckin poser sell outs, strait up. Stay G'd up or KILL YOURSELF.
sXe till I die s/o to IX ragecrew XI too hardcore for you fuckers
>>
>>17042111
The whole point of Ivy Leagues is to network. If you go to Harvard but live in your dorm, you're a retard and should have just gone to ASU. But if you want a career in Law, Research or Business, you won't have the same internship possibilities at Flyover State.
>>
>>17042112
This. You have to be pretty naive to not recognize the fact that coming from a certain place, school, or having a certain name will get you to places others won't get to.

Hell, I'm graduating from a run-of-the-mill uni, first in my family, but my plan is to build a dynasty out of my family name. I blazed the first part of the trail, now my kids get to pick up from there at a higher advantage than I had.

Obviously, that all sounds retarded, silly, and idealistic on paper, and it certainly won't turn out that way. But that's what I've committed my energy to. I wanna see how far I can take things.
>>
>>17042112
It does matter to a certain extent. But if you're going to the school for the name and not the degree they put emphasis on, then you're fucked. If you go to yale for a liberal arts degree and put that on your resume, the hiring manager would think you're stupid as shit.
>>
You'll never be part of the straight edge scene, fuckin cunts. We keep it fuckin illest.
>>
>>17042113
Well you can think that way. I am not from US so maybe here in Europe things are different. I still went to best uni in my country ( and its farm from ivy league level or whatever ) and I am still successful in my life working as an aircraft maintenance technician / mechanic or whatever you want to call it. Never had issues with finding a job and never had problems with money.

You dont have to go to ivy league or some bullshit schools to be successful. Its just fucking brainwashing.
>>
>>17042069
>I really want to go to Harvard because my crush went there brehs
Are you really that fucking stupid?
>he's a teenager so OF COURSE he is, his frontal and prefrontal lobes aren't fully developed yet, NO IMPULSE CONTROL
>...
>Wants to go to an expensive University not for academic excellence, but because some chick he's fixated on, WITH WHOM HE HAS NO RELATIONSHIP AT ALL, is going there

Is this bait? Please, PLEASE tell me it's bait, PLEASE tell us you're not this dumb, OP?
>>
>>17042119
>straight edge scene
>fake punks think they're tough
>>
>>17042116
Well this is all ivy schools are for. To meet these generations of rich legacy fucks befriend them and have connections. Thats it.

But if you study mechanics/engineering you will be fine in many many many other schools. As I said you just dont have to go to totally shitty ones. Amirite.
>>
Am I not gonna make it for going to a state school? I'm going to csu chico for a business admin degree, I had too much fun in high school and my grades hurt because of it. Am attending the uni in the fall and it always feels like everyone else but me is attending yale or harvard :(
>>
>>17042123
>But if you study mechanics/engineering you will be fine in many many many other schools. As I said you just dont have to go to totally shitty ones. Amirite.
Pretty much. I went to ASU, did pretty decent and now I got into dental school. You can go anywhere if you pursue a heavily merit-based profession like Medicine.
>>
>>17042106
Yeah, you do. That's the only reason you pick an undergraduate institution. People bend over backwards to give people from Harvard a leg up in their career. My friend went there for his undergrad then got into an MD/PhD program at my school with no biological background. The head neurosurgeon and neurologist at the hospital let him piggy back on their 50 h-index publications in high impact journals. Popping out 10 papers at the start of your career that you KNOW are going to get cited in huge. It's years of a headstart on your career. That kind of shit doesn't happen to regular students.
>>
>>17042122
I got the x's under my eyes you know what that means? If you light up within 20 feet of me I'll fuckin knock your block off homie. Stay ill xXx
>>
Why even worry about where you go for undergrad? Unless you need some good connections going to an ivy league isn't that amazing. Half the courses are so general you can learn the shit online without teachers, 4th year courses might be more advanced but nothing more than what you could do on your own supplementing with extra reading.
If you're doing post-grad it's different with researching under people who are top in their field or whatever, but during undergrad it's mostly what you make of it yourself.
>>
never heard of that happening. if that were the case, then all students who attended harvard should get that same special treatment, right?
>>
>>17042127
I hope someone holds you down and injects cocaine directly into your eyeballs
>>
>>17042126

>>17042129
>>
>>17042130
I'm fuckin straight edge brochacho I don't do cocaine you dumb fuckin stoner. Shitting on all you weaboo pussies here on 4chan. Just don't get caught lackin out thea in the streets bitch. sXe we out here. X or bust.
Out
>>
Lmfao at everyone in this thread. You're doing a shitty undergrad degree it doesn't matter where you go. You don't need the 'prestige' of going to an ivy league to get a fucking job as an engineer. You'll get that job no matter where you go. I'm glad in Canada they don't give a shit about anything besides the grades you got in hs. You Americans have a real fucked up life. Lmao
>>
>>17042079
may I ask what pretty okay is? I'm working towards dental school right now but my GPA is pretty okay (for my standards) so pls rspond
>>
>>17042134
If you're a while male, good luck and have fun.

Even high level schools are starting to enforce diversity quotas. My brother in law had a 4.0 gpa through one of the top private universities in the region and barely got into dental school. He was in the top 95th percentile for whatever their benchmark exam was too.

Same thing for med school.
>>
File: 1441561946868.jpg (137 KB, 803x688) Image search: [Google]
1441561946868.jpg
137 KB, 803x688
>>17042087
>Shrieking Yale Nigger.jpg
>Yale
>Nigger
>Niggers go to ivies but >>17042081's friend can't.
>>
>be foreign
>apply to any ivy/MIT school
>get accepted
Get cucked.
>>
>>17042134
I just got accepted to MWU Az and IL. My GPA was only 3.1 with 3.01 science GPA after undergrad so I took a short masters program where I got mostly Bs and As in. I had a 21 DAT with a 20 avg in the sciences.

I also did a fair bit of research and shadowing.

Frankly I have never been a top performing student but I got in so I don't really care lmao
>>
My (white) HS gf got into Harvard. Her resume:
-4.0 GPA; nothing but AP classes her last two years
-35 on the ACT
-two extracurriculars each semester; class president for a year
-NHS and the thousand hours of volunteer work or whatever the fuck comes with that

I got into a shitty state school, got a Math B.S. in three years with a middling GPA, and now I make $80k a year at 25. It's all about what you choose to study, man.
>>
>>17042069
weird

just remembered a b cam whore named veritas
>>
>>17042069
I got into Harvard, as well as Columbia, Princeton and UPenn. Let me tell you how.

I made a 2600 on my SAT because my essay was that good, 42 on my ACT, a four time all american in field hockey, rugby, ping pong and World of Warcraft, founder and president of 17 clubs (most notably the Feminist Club, which introduced how 17th Century Gothic Lesbian Poetry has shaped the way our culture thinks about faggots), kickstarted 3 of my own companies in Africa to help save energy and stop the apartheid, dropped a mixtape that got a 9/10 from Anthony Fantango himself, as well as obtain over 3000 hours from volunteering at local charities starting from the moment I stepped my ass into freshman year. Also, I live in the slums of Flint, Michigan with my estranged parents who didn't know I was there kid.

It's all about those high points anon. You'll get in
>>
>>17042069
Eh, I'm not too sure. You've at least got a chance.
I had a friend who got an even 2000 on the SAT and was accepted to Brown. He also had around 100 hours of volunteer work.
It's also worth noting that he was white, so it wasn't affirmative action.
>>
>>17042069
I think with those states that you will get in.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.