[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the most tactful and pleasant way to ditch my friends
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 1458966146212.png (193 KB, 351x372) Image search: [Google]
1458966146212.png
193 KB, 351x372
What's the most tactful and pleasant way to ditch my friends on a vacation if I'm not enjoying what they're doing?

For background, I agreed to a trip to NYC with some friends I've known for nearly 15 years... but their interests are a little more nerdy than mine. When I'm on a vacation, I tend to go light on the sleep, heavy on the booze, and bounce from bar to bar while seeing everything I can possibly see and partying the whole time.

I just found out one guy is bringing SIX obscure as fuck board games for us to play in the hotel. In New York City. Walking distance from Times Square. I refuse to be caught dead playing a board game there.

I don't mind venturing out on my own, but what's the nicest way for me to do it without hurting anyone's feelings?
>>
>>17015544
This image brings back so much sadness
>>
>>17015544
Say "I'm going to X anybody want to come?" And if nobody says anything tell them to call you if they need you.

It's your vacation
>>
>>17015544
Yikes, you sound really insecure

You'd rather go out ALONE than play some dumb board game with friends??
You should say that you'll play the game wth them if they come out with you. That's a lot less lame than going alone
>>
>>17015557
This + manage expectations. Don't commit to anything and then flake out.
>>
>>17015573

I'm flying all the way across the country, almost a full day of my life in travel time, spending nearly $1,000 in flight and room alone just for the privilege of being there, and it's in any way acceptable to spend that time sitting at a card table playing Settlers of Catan or some bullshit? Something I could literally do anywhere at any time?

You're crazy.
>>
>>17015544
>I refuse to be caught dead playing a board game there
Who are you afraid is going to catch you playing a game in your hotel room?
>>
>>17015599
Why would you agree to go with friends who you apparently have nothing in common with.
And again- if you're spending all that money then you shouldn't waste the experience by being a creepy loner.
>>
>>17015608

I don't care if anyone will catch me, it will be boring. It was just a figure of speech.

>>17015610

I have plenty in common with them, just not board games. Or a willingness to spend a night in NYC playing them when I could be out meeting people and partying and seeing all that one of the world's greatest cities has to offer.

Also, I have other friends in NYC, so I probably wouldn't be alone if I ducked out, just ditching the board gamers.
>>
>>17015544
>but what's the nicest way for me to do it without hurting anyone's feelings?

Just tell them what you're telling us. If you've known them for 15 years just be blunt about it.

If it were my friends I'd try and persuade them to come out with me and If they didn't I'd call them faglords and meet them in the morning. As long as you spend some time with them during the trip I don't see a problem.
>>
>>17015610
>>17015608
>>17015573

Please take your autism back to /tg/.
>>
>>17015680

Cool, I like your attitude.

Thing is, this happened two years ago when we did this in Chicago. There were some scattered storms in the area and one girl was literally afraid she'd get hit by lightning, so we didn't go get on the train to get to anywhere cool. I tried to convince people to leave, and almost had a small group, but they "felt bad leaving everyone."

So I spent my last night in Chicago sitting in a room with people drinking beers from the front desk of a Marriott playing a Pokemon themed board game. Then a fat girl cried on me because she thought people thought she was a slut.

Basically, it was such a bad experience that I thought it couldn't happen again, and everyone agreed it pretty much sucked and we should have ignored the lightning girl. Now it looks to be happening again.

I was livid,
>>
>>17015691
>>17015595
>>17015557
>>17015680
All great advice.

If anything, they should feel bad for letting you go out alone while they stay in and waste the trip.
>>
>>17015544
You sound like a fag OP. You clearly know these guys if you're traveling with them and if you know them as friends I'm sure you would know if they're the kind of people who would rather booze it up and party or have a fun time with their friends and then enjoy the area during the day. The fact that you rail on them so hard instead of just saying "ok you guys do your thing and I'll do mine" or even traveling by yourself since you apparently dislike them so much makes me think you're a huge insecure faggot who doesn't want to be alone but really hates his 'friends' because they're aren't partying people.
>>
>>17015730

We've done this as a recurring thing for the past 5 years and it's been an ever changing group since it started... I love most of them, but some of them are friends of friends that I'm not necessarily close to, but I don't want to bail on the tradition when we've had some great times.

They're also not my primary vacation friends. I normally go on trips with more like minded people.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.