[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm a boring person. A good listener, sure, but I don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: ride.jpg (47 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
ride.jpg
47 KB, 600x337
I'm a boring person. A good listener, sure, but I don't have anything of my own worth talking about. When someone asks me what I was up to, I want to say something other than "stayed in and watched this film/read this book/played this vidya/did work" or pretend I was sick and bedridden all day. So I want to change that, go out and do some fun stuff. Preferably outdoors (I'm inside enough as it is) that can be done together or solo (without awkwardness) with a budget of practically zero (broke).

Any ideas?
>>
Get a hobby or practice a skill.
>>
>>17014936
Yeah, but what
>>
Guy or girl?
>>
>>17014954
Guy.
>>
>>17014947
Musical instruments let you sit indoors and make pretty sounds.

Alternatively, buy a gun and shoot things. That'll get you outside.
>>
What about photography? Or volunteering?
>>
Fun fact : people like to talk about themselves more than listening to others. The gist of your interactions should look like interviewing someone, with stories and witty sentences in between. Speaking of wit, try and make the everyday things sound interesting. Make an entertaining story out of regular crap.
A neat little thing that took me years to figure out is a little mindset switch. When you hit those awkward silences, you'll probably ask yourself "what do I say next". This is wrong. Instead, ask yourself "what do I want to know about this person". Anything that someone mentions is a potential topic for conversation.

Also, go play a fucking instrument
>>
>>17014965
I play the piano. Horribly, but I'm learning. Going through the basics again and again, but I hope to become able to learn and play songs efficiently soon. Honestly though, I'm indoors too much already as it is.
This isn't America. In this country, getting a gun and shooting things doesn't get you outside but inside. For a long time.

>>17014988
Photography seems interesting, but a pretty big leap to get started. My budget is zero, so my pics won't be much different from the average Instagram dinner shot.
Volunteering is also nice and I've considered it before, but don't the places where they ask for help come with a certain set of skills they need? Sorry for the nitpicking, but I don't know if I'm the kind of person they want. Talking from experience here, not insecurity. I've tried.

>>17015026
This works fine. You're absolutely right, and this has been my mindset for years. Thing is, when relationships go deeper, they'll want to know more about you. At a certain point, even the most egocentrical people are done talking about themselves. Then they turn to you, and they realize they've known all there is to you for months now. And they adapt to that, either by discarding you or only keeping you around for ego reasons. It hurts, and I don't want that to happen again.
I'll try being a bit more creative in wording the everyday stuff. Thanks for the answer.
>>
>>17016224
I am from Serbia, while gun laws are fairly lax, because we are a country of rednecks and war vets, guns aren't popular, guns aren't something we're born with. Also the hard parts about piano is learning how to play something, and how to sync your right and left arm. It's a fun and highly applicable instrument. I am learning dissolving bonds by Katatonia by ear and it's hard, yet fun. Give that band a listen.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.