[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I find out if I'm adopted without asking my parents
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: MLpmywxr_I0.jpg (16 KB, 353x332) Image search: [Google]
MLpmywxr_I0.jpg
16 KB, 353x332
How do I find out if I'm adopted without asking my parents
>>
>>17014216
Get your whole family to have a detailed genetic test, most likely the one from 23andMe.
That'll tell you a whole lot more than just whether you're adopted or not.
>>
>>17014216
not sure exactly. I'm guessing your birth certificate would get amended if you're adopted. depending on the laws where you live, the amended birth certificate may or may not have your birth parents' names on it. your original birth certificate may or may not be easy to get.

call the records office of the county where you were born. explain that you think you may have been adopted and you'd like to know whether your birth certificate would show that. some places may not be able to give you the original. it might be sealed, but you might be able to get it released with a court order.

>>17014229
only problem I could see with this plan is a) the cost and b) trying to come up with a plausible excuse for convincing your family to take a genetic test. idk what kind of samples they need for that. maybe you can just get it surreptitiously without asking them. that probably violates some privacy law or something though.
>>
>>17014239
23andme requires about 2 tablespoons of saliva. I think Ancestry does the same.
>>
>>17014239
My hometown doesn't have my birth certificate
>>17014250
>two tablespoons of saliva
>without asking my parents
>>
>>17014239
>trying to come up with a plausible excuse for convincing your family to take a genetic test
lots of people just do it out of curiosity, like my family. it has estimates of the percentage of ancestry from different regions, percent neanderthal DNA, bunch of different polymorphisms, how much DNA you share with each parent/sibling, etc.

Also gives you a list of closest relatives that have gotten tested, and you can even share data and get in contact with them. Plus you can plug the data into a more detailed SNPedia-linked tool to check specific mutations, some of them cause diseases, others increase/reduce alcohol tolerance buildup, some affect personality, etc.

>>17014254
just tell them it's out of curiosity, if they're curious people they'll like the idea anyway
>>
>>17014260
I don't have any idea where my dad is right now
I probably don't have enough money for it anyway
>>
>>17014254
Most friends I know have done it with their families out of sheer curiosity. It's not that hard to convince someone if you're trying to make it as if you wanna know about your genealogy and things like that. Some schools can even ask for it too, so it's not unheard of.

Alternatively, if you're ever home alone, I suppose that if you're adopted, there might have to be documentation somewhere? Maybe they've got a paper or something stashed away that could provide more information.
>>
>>17014216
You almost certainly are not, though this is a fantasy every child has at one time or another.

Telling a child he's adopted while he's still young is now the standard practice, and it is very, very rare for parents to keep it a secret.

But if you really want to be sure, you can get your birth certificate from the city/county where you were born.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.