[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I be ashamed of my inner nerd?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: tumblr_nn1gnoAVaN1qfti5wo1_500.jpg (82 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nn1gnoAVaN1qfti5wo1_500.jpg
82 KB, 500x500
>23, 5th year college senior, male, most people in my social circle are new-grad/working people in mid 20's

I fucking LOVE vidya and fantasy shit. I listen to mass effect, guild wars and other vg music so much. I reminisce about my high school days where I'd openly talk about WoW, Warhammer, Orcs, LOTR shit and just live that life. Yeah I was pretty cringe mode but it I had the time of my life.

Then I realized I was gonna get 0 pussy and not have a 'real' social life so I dropped that shit when I went to college. I joined a frat, bulked up, forced myself to go to parties, fuck girls, and turn myself into a Chad.. and it worked briefly. I get a lot of validation. I do get sex which is nice... but it all feels empty. It isn't 'me'

It's piled up on me now and I can't take it anymore. I want to be a nerd again. I want to find a qt LARP fedora girl who I can nerd out with. I want to go back to wearing graphic t shirts, flip flops , smoking weed, listening to viking death metal, and playing WoW all night, or playing whatever new game is hot nowadays and pretending I'm a fucking wizard or something.

I feel that if I go back into embracing that lifestyle, nobody will respect me, I won't have any social status at all and I'll become a neckbeard.

But the designer clothes. The collared shirts. The lifting 5 days a week. The fake girls at the bar and on tinder. The bro-y 'friends'. It doesn't satisfy me. I want to bring the nerd fantasy life back.

What do?

tl;dr closet nerd facades as chad but feeling disappointed and unsatisfied with life
>>
Here's a secret: if you act confident in your lifestyle people will gravitate towards you. Don't be fake.
>>
>>17013219

You'll never have the same powers though since you expended all of your mana and respecced early to a Chad
>>
>>17013219
It doesn't have to be black and white. You can hang out with other people and do that stuff. Changing clothing might be noticeable, but you can probably stop lifting so often. No one is gonna judge you for interests as long as don't shove it in their faces all the time. Hence, other friends with mutual interests would be useful. You can maintain both and if you realize that it really is as good as you remember, then make the full transition if you're willing to.
>>
>>17013226
> act confident in your lifestyle people will gravitate towards you.
"Hey gurl I'm super into lord of the rings look at my confidence"

At a bar? No thx
>>
>>17013935
>At a bar? No thx
You shouldn't be looking for lasting relationships at bars.

>>17013219
>What do?
Why not do both? Start dressing the way you want, but don't completely give up on taking care of your body.
>>
>>17013935
I'm friends with a group of theater and music majors (I'm the odd engineer out) with extremely nerdy interest. We go to bars all the time. Maybe you aren't going to the right places or not associating with the right people.

But then again, we usually go as a group and don't really interact with the other bar-goers so, take it for what it's worth.

Listen, if you're a nerd, you're a nerd alright. Fuck the haters and losers anyone who doesn't want to deal with your bullshit isn't a friend worth having to begin with and those who like you for you will stick by. Also remember that "nerd culture" is a lot more socially acceptable than it was a few years ago. It's cool to be a nerd now, if you don't go full weeb or anything people probably won't care too much and anyone who does is shallow. If you're REALLY worried about it and you have the resources you can always move and try to restart your life somewhere new being more true to self. Delete your social media accounts and get a new phone number if you do this obviously. This is generally unnecessary though, I wouldn't resort to such an extreme solution without a lot of thought.
>>
Why does enjoying video games and things like that have to involve looking like shit?
>>
>if you don't go full weeb

I was full weeb dude. I'd roleplay during sex if could, but NOBODY who knows me would suspect I'd be into that
>>
>>17013219

do you really care if pepole respect you ? i never understood this. how does some randos respect determine if you had a good day or not? im pretty much living the life you wanna live and i dont want for anything. you sleep around LESS but its not a big deal if ur fine being in a relationsihp or flings as oppose dto one night stands.

you wont find a girl who is a combo of hot enough, nerdy enough, and single enough too easy, but you can date girls and they will just think 'oh ehs so nerdy lul' as long as you are as cute and bulked as you say you are.

maybe skip the graphic Tees, but i see ripped guys all the time wearing graphic Tees, so i dont fucking no, half hte guys at my gym wear batman related shirts.
>>
>>17014008
>how does some randos respect determine if you had a good day or not?

External validation is addictive m8
>>
>>17014013

is it? i dont understand. i guess i dont walk up to people and say 'HI IM A MOTHER FUCKING WIZARD, ASK ME HOW' but i dont hide it either.

im 23, but most my friends are 28 to 32 years of age, our hangouts consist almost entirely of board game nights, and to some degree video game nights (or even combos when we play dokapon). they have no problem bringing their gfs when they have em. and hwen i say board game night im talking lords of waterdeep, seasons, etc. not monopoly or risk or some dumb shit.

this is a day and age where super heroes are mainstream and the highest grossing films. where all men look forward to teaching their sons how to play video games instead of throwing a football. where women TRY to be nerdy to appeal to dudes.

if you are concerned what randos think then you're living life on stupid mode.
>>
>>17014020
>if you are concerned what randos think then you're living life on stupid mode.

Easier said than done i'm very self conscious
>>
>>17014040

>EASIER SAID THAN DONE

literally everything is easier said than done. talking is easier than aciton, this is true, but if you are using it as an excuse to hate your life, then why bother?

the respect of randos isnt making you happy, so why are you so adamant about fighting it? you might be a chad but you are in no way an alpha.

but maybe im just stuck in my weird zone and stopped caring what people think. i play board games, i work for a psychic, and write stories about super heroes.

but im happy, and i never once think 'huh they probably dont respect me'. anyone who goes out of their way to show that isnt worth my time.
>>
>>17013219
>I feel that if I go back into embracing that lifestyle, nobody will respect me, I won't have any social status at all and I'll become a neckbeard.
People respect skill, talent, competence, intelligence, character, etc. If you have qualities for people to respect they'll respect you. Otherwise, they won't. Your hobbies have little to do with the respect you get unless they're seriously strange, like being a furry or pony.

And let's be honest, when you tell someone "i'm a frat bro, i love dressing like a prick, spending daddy's money, getting passed-out-wasted, and fucking random girls" they don't suddenly gain a new level of respect for you anyway.

As for the neckbeard thing, you don't have to change your style or sense of personal hygiene. Nothing wrong with being a nerd that respects himself and puts effort into his appearance.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.