[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Greetings, /adv/. I'm 22 years old with zero experience
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: IMG-20151221-WA0004.jpg (49 KB, 660x310) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20151221-WA0004.jpg
49 KB, 660x310
Greetings, /adv/.
I'm 22 years old with zero experience in music.
I would like to train myself enough to start composing little shits. I know I have a great way to cross. I just need help because I don't know how to start.
Any idea?
>>
>>17011735

Start with a single instrument, try as many as you can. Learn notes and chords. Watch youtube tutorials, take lessons. Meet like-minded people who can help you along.
>>
What is your definition of composing? Like pick up a ukulele and a chord sheet and get jamming or computer based dance music? What?
>>
OP here.

>>17011745
Well, my only instrument is my computer. Don't have cash for an instrument for now. But I'd really like to play piano. But I may start only with the theory...

>>17011746
I'd really like to compose via software. But not just electro and dance music. Anyways, I with compousing I mean being able to take a paper and write notes. I know this shit takes years and years of studies and practice...
>>
Well first you should try and reach out to someone you know who might dabble in what your trying to do. I was lucky enough to have friends to help me get started and it will save you a lot of time by reducing the amount of information you'll have to sift through. Look up some DAWS find one that catches your fancy (Piracy rules!) Learn about it through tutorials on YouTube or forums. A lot of them usually have faqs to get you started. If you have ideas or an ear for music it's cool to just learn the DAWS interface and play around making stuff it'll help you get familiar with the software. I might be back later anon I'm at work.
>>
>>17011772
hi

download ableton live

watch a bunch of tutorials

get started and don't worry about the specifics, just the sound coming our of yr box

honestly
>>
There are a bunch of programs which will let you sequence music from a piano roll instead of a stave. Some will let you do both. Basically a pattern sequencer runs like a player piano making noises where you've put the holes. You sequence these blocks and overlay them to build tracks. Used to use fruity loops studio. Also logic and cubase. Basically a computer midi sequencer.

This is pretty much what a composer does for even orchestral work. They produce sections for each section of the orchestra and they all play together like a giant human pattern sequencer.

Computers can break the rules of what physical performers can actually do with physical instruments so orchestral composition requires understanding each instrument you are writing for, but convention exists for a reason which makes things like basic string harmonies easy to predict and write. Also sections of the orchestra have clear flavours. They have established tropes over centuries which mean everyone knows what you are trying to convey when those bass woodwinds of doom start up.

That is what experienced fans appreciate, when you demonstrate knowledge of stylistic convention and then tweak it in a way which surprises, but not breaks the mould. Unless you seek out avent guard stuff, but even that should be grounded in an understanding of what you are trying to get away from to give context.
>>
Yeah dude just do it, get a piano or comp or whatever and record everything. Don't care if you like it just do it, find what sounds you like and have fun. I've been playing guitar for 11 years and piano for 3, lesson were fun but ultimately unnecessary, so take my advice and use your instincts and creative ear
>>
>>17011735
Learn piano. Start from there. Before you dive into the depths of composition books, or treatises on counterpoint and theory, before you even touch that stuff, learn a damn instrument. Learn to play piano, and also learn to sing. If you're not a singer, that's fine. Learn to sing anyways. Your body needs to make music.
>>
Also keyboards can be had dirt cheap. People often give them away around here or sell them cheap because they are the number one "I bought my shitty kid a present they don't use" gift.

Also learn some music theory down the line so you can apply it and unlock further ability when it is the factor holding up your development.

Don't throw yourself into too much too soon, just try and enjoy having a go and trust in your instincts to learn and self correct and do the whole critical self reflection thing.

I'm talking about 15 years ago, but I studied a music degree. It was really difficult because it had mandatory performance at the highest standard and I didn't have a typical 'music school' background.

I used to make computer games from about the age of 7 and up and until I was 15 my only music experience was in composing sound effects and background tracks for my software development. I also used to write rudimentary software synthesisers utilising the onboard audio for shits and giggles.

At 15 I picked up a bass guitar and then a guitar and then a drum kit and then took to recording in my bedroom. I played in several bands and I had a good time with it.

I applied to study audio system design (electrical and digital) which was a BSc. After a year they could tell I was more into the creative aspects and they advised I transferred to a BA program in music.

I fucked up the audition so bad and got in purely on my strength as a composer and writer of material as well as my more abstract shit (computer/electrical noise glitch/tape cut off/home made instrument) kind of thing
which I was doing.

I was straight away the worst player in the whole university. But that doesn't actually matter if you aren't the worst performer (nerves gets to many) and if you have a can do attitude and broad skill set instead of a high and mighty one. I mean, shit after a few hours I could play a simple trumpet part despite never having touched the trumpet. It is all a common language.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.