[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you REALLY be yourself or do you hide your true self?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6
Do you REALLY be yourself or do you hide your true self?
>>
>>17009880
Hide
>>
I'm a cunt at heart, so no.
>>
>>17009880
I'm always myself, but I show more of certain parts of myself to certain people.

For example, if I'm at a party, I'm going to show the fun party side of myself, not the quiet focused side of myself.
If I'm at a job interview, I show the respectful leader side of myself, not the silly jokester side of myself.

These are all components who add to who I am as a person, but I show more and less of certain characteristics depending on the situation, as most people do.

Never try to be someone you're not- but developing certain aspects of your personallity that you have yet to fully realize is not a bad idea. For example, if you're introverted and shy, you can still become a confident leader and be "yourself" if you focus on developing that side of yourself.

When people say "be yourself"- they don't mean "don't filter your actions and thoughts"- they mean "don't limit yourself by pretending to be something fake that you arnt happy with"
>>
What is the "true self"? How do you decide what's really you?

Is it giving in to every fleeting want or urge that trickles into your thoughts?
Is it ignoring criticism and boldly taking each challenge head on?
>>
To please yourself, be who you want to be. To please others, be who they want you to be. You want to do a little of both. Aim for a 50/50 split and create a personality that makes both yourself and other people reasonably happy. Then you can co-exist in society with other people who do the same thing.
>>
>>17009895
What if you want to be someone else? >>17009893
>>
I think everyone puts up some kind of front. Society and culture create these boundaries for us to live in and follow, but these boundaries limit the evolution of people's personalities and social collectives, it really stops us from being our TRUE selves. Then again, maybe that's a good thing. I have some dark thoughts sometimes, I know I'm not the only one, but still, I don't act on those thoughts, I don't express them. Does that count as not being your true self?
>>
File: 1919849184.gif (3 MB, 500x365) Image search: [Google]
1919849184.gif
3 MB, 500x365
>>17009880
>tfw hidden true self for so long can't remember how I truly am
>people say you're you when you're alone
>90% of my alone time is spent watching anime or playing games while fantasising about being the MC
>>
I'm really myself -- everywhere I go I'm acting as myself.

Some people are fake as shit but I'm not one of them.
>>
>>17009901
Says the tripcode
>>
>>17009901
What if someone's true self was to be a conniving liar with ulterior motives?
>>
>>17009904
What, a tripfag cannot be themselves?

>>17009905
Then maybe you shouldn't be yourself, because yourself is a dick.
>>
>>17009880
100% myself at all times.

I can't stand people. Fucking hate the grand majority of them. They are either stupid or malicious. I just don't tolerate passive aggressive bullshit or people trying to take advantage of others. It's simply amazing how people will just do whatever they want as long as it benefits them. Even simple shit like cutting in line or using their phones in the theater. I start nice, I ask politely for them to consider others. Of course this never works and their reply 99% of the time is "fuck you man I do what I want".

I have straight up backhanded mother fuckers for shit like that and then they act all surprised that someone would possibly get in their way of doing whatever they want. Just fucking christ.

Probably helps I'm 6ft3in and 250lbs. But yes I am always being myself and hold to my convictions. I'll be nice to anyone that's nice to me. I will never fake being nice. I will let you know if what you're doing is fucking annoying or stupid.
>>
File: 1438078994068.png (789 KB, 488x719) Image search: [Google]
1438078994068.png
789 KB, 488x719
>>17009933
>I can't stand people.
>Fucking hate the grand majority of them.
>They are either stupid or malicious

Said every high school edgelord, ever. What you really hate is yourself. Your holier than thou attitude is just a facade to mask your insecurity. You tell yourself that everyone else is fucked up, that's why they don't like you. You tell yourself you're better than them. They're just afraid of you because you're so awesome, right?

The reality is that you're so self-centered AND self-hating that you're blinded to anything good about other people. Most people are good, honest, and fun. Not being able to see the good in the world is the mark of a fool.
>>
I'm myself when I see the other people as themselves,I detest liers and tricksters,I have learn to see through them along time ago and show them what they want to see just as they wont show themselves to me.
>>
>>17009950
You're literally exactly what I'm talking about. You know nothing about me but you're already being a cunt.

I start out treating everyone nice(unless they start out like fucking retards like you) but then again almost everyone I have met turns into stupid asshole later.

Just like you. There's literally no way you could know any of those things about me but you say you do anyways. Which is stupid. You would have to be stupid to get that assessment from a simple post I made. You're given information and you're so fucking dumb you process it based on the dumbest of reasons.

So thanks for proving my point ya dumb ass.
>>
>>17009950
>most people are good, honest, and fun.
Make a thread about how men should treat women here and tell me most people are good, honest, and fun.

You're delusional.
>>
>>17010007
Dude, you have an anger problem. You expect other people to be nice, but you aren't a nice person yourself.
>>
>>17010093
I wouldn't be angry if they just started nice but they never do. They always gotta be cunts. I just don't tolerate cunts.

Is it really that much to ask of someone to not be a cunt from the start?

That's the other thing that annoys. It;s "don't poke the bear" syndrome. Someone pokes the bear and then is surprised or angry that the bear is pissed off. The bear is just minding it's own business just relaxing and being ok but then someone has to go and be a dick to it. And then they are like "jeez beer why do you have such anger issues?"
>>
File: 1454815315961.jpg (92 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
1454815315961.jpg
92 KB, 768x1024
>>17009880
hide my true self of course
for the safety of people around me
>>
The truth is that I'm no one.

I'm something with other people.

I remember when I was a kid, I had to pretend during Christmas. I watched videos on how kids should react, so I imitated them.

I don't know what I what I am.
Now that I'm an adult, I can act like everyone else.
But alone?
I don't know what I am.
>>
>>17010007
>You would have to be stupid to get that assessment from a simple post I made
>proceeds to call other anon "so fucking dumb" for a simple post they made
>>
File: Riemann.png (88 KB, 1044x520) Image search: [Google]
Riemann.png
88 KB, 1044x520
I show most of myself, but there's that last 20-30% I keep held back that only shows when I'm with close friends.

I think most people function like that.

>>17010012
>Make a thread about how men should treat women here and tell me most people are good, honest, and fun.
This entire board is a glorified venting room. This is generally for people to bitch about tfwnogf or a bad breakup, of course people are going to be particularly bitter.
>>
>>17010112
Can you not read? the only person I called fucking dumb is the person that posted a bunch of shit they couldn't possibly know about me. They were being cunts projecting their beliefs onto mine.

You're as dumb as they are because you're doing the same shit. You lack reading comprehension.

This thread is just proving exactly what I was talking about. People start out as cunts or they are too dumb for basic reading comprehension.
>>
>>17010128
All you're doing is projecting your belief that everyone is an asshole/stupid onto the thread. Also funny that you're saying we started out as cunts when the second sentence of your first post says "I can't stand people".
>>
>>17009880
Being fake will eventually lead to bad things. I'm myself pretty much 80% of the time. The stuff I don't say are generally political, religious or controversial opinions that I don't share with others.
>>
>>17009933
I like you.
>>
>>17010012
>4chan
>representing most people
i dont even want to see that world
>>
>>17010204
back to /mu/ cunt
>>
>>17009933
People don't have to live by your rules. Stop being so self righteous.
>>
>>17010154
If you ignore literally everything the first poster that replied to me yeah I can see that.

But again, you're doing the same thing I have said before. You can't fault the bear for getting angry when you're the one poking it.

>I can't stand people. Fucking hate the grand majority of them
>grand majority of them
>as in, not all

So yes, you started out as cunts.
>>
>>17009880
I honestly don't even know who my "true" self is at this point.
>>
>>17010245
Again, people like you are the idiots I'm talking about. How is what I said self righteous at all?

Live by my rules? My rules are literally "Don't be a dick to people for no reason at all. Don't take things from them, don't walk over them, don't live the world like you own it." I keep to myself unless someone does on of those things.

If you think you have the right to be a dick to people you don't know or you have the right to take their shit you're a fucking cunt.
>>
No mostly because I don't know myself well, or I do but I have a poor self image and am very indecisive. So if I took off every filter people would see what a contradictory mess my brain is, and that would not be fun.
>>
>>17009892
This is called Discourse.

Most people don't realize that its a normal human thing and want to call it a personality disorder or something. But this Anon gets the theory.
>>
>>17009901
Tripfagging on an anonymous image board? You're already a lost cause.
>>
>>17009899
Nice to see another anon like this on here, was getting worried with everyone talking about their BPD diagnoses, "alpha" chimp behavior and how many times they've cheated on their partners.
Remember to relax a little more (some of these shitposts aren't worth replying to), but keep up the good work.

>>17009950
This is a good example of projecting (people often misuse the term: you did it yourself here >>17010154). You don't understand that anon's thought processes, feelings, and attitudes (since you haven't felt that way yourself), but you still feel the need to put them down, so you attribute their sentiments to narcissistic tendencies (which you're familiar with). These:
>You tell yourself that everyone else is fucked up, that's why they don't like you.
>You tell yourself you're better than them.
>They're just afraid of you because you're so awesome, right?
are narcissistic feelings, not compulsive ones: yours, not theirs.
Don't put thoughts in other people's heads. Try to listen more, and talk less.
Put in the effort to try to understand where other anons are coming from, why they feel the way they feel, how exactly their emotional processes contribute to their conclusions, etc. In short, lurk moar.
>>
My true self consists of watching reruns of Veronica Mars and crying over cringy Sailormoon fanfiction.

Years ago I was a cunt who lied about myself and my past. I can say that I genuinely cared about people, but I had a combination of self-esteen issues and a case of being a massive dick, so I lied about who I was, where I worked, my family, and what I did all the time to cover up the fact that I was a literal mess who couldn't get over my father passing and being sexually abused when I was sixteen.

One day I cut the crap when a friend found out everything, and I came clean and cold turkey never lied again like that. I force myself to have a tell nowadays so that it's too obvious now if I try to lie. And I really don't need to anymore.

On a genuine level, I always have cared about people and expressed my feelings as sensibly as possible, but obviously not lying about other random nonexistent shit in my life has made it easier for me to share with people and no longer have shame about who I really am. I have more friends than I did back then, when the people who were victim to that shit were interested in being my friend but it was for superficial reasons on my end.

There's personal stuff you'll always keep inside, but when you reach a certain age, everyone's got fucked up pasts and stories, and nothing really feels shameful anymore.
>>
>>17010689
>couldn't get over my father passing and being sexually abused when I was sixteen.

hot.
>>
File: mg2.jpg (67 KB, 574x960) Image search: [Google]
mg2.jpg
67 KB, 574x960
I became myself and thats why i have 5 friends now. Thank you myself
>>
>>17009892
I was going to say something like this, but this anon put it better than I could.
>>
>>17009892
This is pretty much spot on. Especially that last line.
>>
>>17009880
First you've got to build yourself. We're born with half a psyche at best: Freud called it the id, while Jung called it the shadow. Neither one really characterized it well, though. Freud saw it as the root of darkness in the human soul, the source of those things that needed to ve suppressed for civilization to flourish. Jung saw it as the source of creativity and impulse: the truest possible expression of self. Really, though, the truth is somewhere in between.

You cannot be yourself until you've built out the other half of your psyche: Freud's ego, Jung's persona. The id/shadow is a slave to impulse, while the ego/persona is a slave to nothing. And the best part is that each one of us can, though not always easily, craft and mold it to what we want it to be. One of the big things Jung got wrong was in characterizing the persona as a mere mask (even the word "persona" means "mask"): it is a truer self than even the shadow, because it is not chained to the lizard brain.

The problem with "just be yourself" as advice is that we teach it to children too young to understand it. They still have only the shadow to guide them, and some of them take this advice to mean to mean they should never craft a persona at all. In fact, the opposite is true: you cannot be yourself until you've got a whole self to be.
>>
>>17009880
I try to be myself in the moment because I've resolved myself to try and not act as much, but then afterwards I get basically panic attacks with horrible negative emotions of self judgement and dread afterwards when thinking about what I said. I usually end up avoiding people afterwards because the fear is too bad.
>>
>>17009880
It depents on who I'm with
>be my self with good friends and senpai
>hide with strangers and girls i sort of know and work
>>
>>17009880
I cannot show my true self without being an emo fuckboy really since I don't really feel anything anymore. I have friends because I act like nothing gets to me. When I'm not struggling in a pit of apathy that's not true, but I think it would be now, because we use the term kill yourself loosely.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.