[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Japanese Learning for the Lazy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: ss+(2014-09-30+at+02.29.03).jpg (67 KB, 754x592) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2014-09-30+at+02.29.03).jpg
67 KB, 754x592
I want to learn japanese because I'm sick and tired of my world view being colored by a single languge, everytime I try to start it seems extremely overwhelming.

I want to hire a tutor later on, but can anyone provide advice on learning conversational japanese? are there maybe kids shows or games I could use to pickup the basics? I'm more interested in learning to speak first and read later.
>>
Best advice is talk to native speakers as much as possible(internet,travel etc) and skip the paperwork/grammar crap as it just gets in the way.

Do babies learn to speak or write first?Re-learn the way you learned your first language.
>>
Why would you want to learn one of the hardest languages for native English-speakers to learn if you're lazy?

It's kinda dumb.
>>
>>17009903
I had considered french or russian, but decided that learning a language with plenty of media I'd enjoy would be the easiest for motivation.
>>
>>17009912
Again, two of the hardest languages with english natives to learn.

Try spanish or german.
>>
>>17009915
I don't think you understand the term "motivation"

In any case, thanks for the input, but like I said, it's going to be a lot easier for someone like to me to continue learning as long as I'm using media in the language, once I have a grasp of the general and hire a tutor, I plan to play games and watch movies and shows in Japanese, as a substitute for everyday use. I also already know some spanish, and don't really care for german.

Difficulty shouldn't be a reason to decline doing something. We only have one life and if we all backed down from anything too challenging what's the point in living?
>>
>>17009923
watch without subs,don't be a pussy.
>>
Language learning is hard work, you're only going to hold yourself back if you start with conversation only.
>>
>>17009973
Maybe start with the "abc's" and numbers, OP, colours and animals, etc.
>>17009968
That wouldn't be enjoyable at all.
>>
>>17009985
so connections with pictures to spoken nouns?
>>
>>17009968
That was the plan, yeah, otherwise what's the point?
>>
>>17009973
Babies learn conversation first, don't they?
>>
>>17010024
Babies are also literally stupid. It's a myth that children learn languages better, they just have enough time and immersion to pick them up. Adults can learn languages more efficiently with more targeted effort.
>>
>>17010051
True, but I don't understand why emulating the natural way we learn language is something to be frowned upon, do you want to elaborate?
>>
>>>/a/139752450

It's easy and simply. You're making it more complicated than it is. Stop making excuses.
>>
>>17010059
Well, I guess what I'm trying to get at is there is a fuckton of Japanese to learn, even to understand basic stuff. If you want to spend, say, ten years slow-trickling language into your head when you could do it in much less, then be my guest.
>>
>>>/a/139752450
>>
>>17010066
sounds like taking 4years of foreign language class and still cant understand native speakers
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.png (427 KB, 700x580) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.png
427 KB, 700x580
>>17010094
I actually took a couple japanese classes in college and took almost nothing away from them. I've learned more watching subtitled japanese and going back over it a few times then I did in 2 years of studying none-sense.
>>
>>17010101
that's cool it reinforces my belief at traditional book learning doesn't mean anything in practice for spoken languages.
Example Japanese kids take 4 years of english yet most cant speak much English when they come here,I know meet a J-dude and his English sucked so bad ,even gave him afew of my movie dvds I had laying as a gift(Kill bill) but after afew months he was alright but be developed a accent that was British from watching too many brit shows.
>>
>>17010165
The problem is the same problem with all education, the bullshit standardized memorization nonsense with zero practical implementation.

It doesn't help me to know how to say "Watashi-no ano neko desu ka?" when I don't understand how to use any of those words outside that sentence.

Schools do the same shit with math. they make you memorize how to do things without explaining WHY it works.
>>
try an app called mindsnacks, for the japanese one a pass might cost like $5 but its so worth it, it's really useful and actually fun. Goodluck OP
>>
Learn sentences as opposed to words.
Trying to put together a bunch of Nip words as an Englishman will make you sound retarded.

Also Spanish is an easy language for the lazy
>>
>>17009923
You explicitly said you were lazy. Japanese is not for the lazy.
You want an easy route for something that does not have one.
Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>17010692
>>17010688

Bruh, Spanish and Japanese look so similar to me. There's participles and specific ways words should join up.

English has always been considered the second hardest language to that one chinese language, and that's because its basically 20 languages in some sick interracial love in.
>>
https://www.youtube
.com/user/YPlusShow

Watch this dude.
He's a Japanese guy who makes videos about learning Japanese, also his other videos are fucking hilarious where he wanders around Vox Pop'ing people.
He's pretty based.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.