[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
my roof has been leaking for over a year. the landlord said
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 1450634113144.jpg (48 KB, 552x714) Image search: [Google]
1450634113144.jpg
48 KB, 552x714
my roof has been leaking for over a year.

the landlord said it will be fixed 'sometime this year'. we already lost a laptop, nwo its leaking on to my bed. what are my options?
>>
>>17009426

anyone got info on this? all the articles are vague saying 'you may or may not be entitled to this or that'.

do i stop paying rent? or do i hire a guy? we had a guy come up and try to plug it up, but it didnt do any good.
>>
Look at your rent agreement.
>>
>>17009519
This. Read the agreement first. Then see if a lawyer will give you a free consultation if you need more advice.
>>
>>17009519

it literally says nothing about what my options are, other than that it is their responsibility to fix it.
>>
>>17009548
If it says that it is their responsibility to fix it, get a lawyer to write a stern letter to them if they refuse to do it.
>>
File: 1396922889279.jpg (32 KB, 480x454) Image search: [Google]
1396922889279.jpg
32 KB, 480x454
>>17009553

>spend more money

life is suffering, but i might have to bite the bullet on that one.
>>
>>17009562
If you're lucky and ask around, you might find a family member or friend who knows a lawyer willing to just help you out by sending a letter that takes them 10 minutes to write. If the landlord fights it, then it may escalate. But a lot of times a letter like that will scare them enough to take action.
>>
>>17009562
One other thing, I think there are government or nonprofit agencies that work to help renters. Like look into HUD. Maybe you can find a reference there to someone that can help you for cheap.
>>
>>17009588

thanks for that tip! thank you very much!

>>17009585

this is what im hoping for!
>>
>>17009598
Welcome bro
>>
thanks for the help guys! im off to dinner with the gf, but i appreciate all the help.
>>
There are forums for legal advice with lawyers and shit on them on the internet you know? You can also get a free consultation from most places too...
>>
>>17009426
The law requires that anything you pay for be "fit for purpose" - that is to say, it has to work the way it's supposed to, within reason (A used car probably won't be as good as a new one, but it has to be running)

A dwelling place has to be safe, secure and out of the elements. The landlord is violating city or state laws by not reparing the roof, and can be fined.

At the very least he is absolutely liable for any damage from the leaks - sue him in small claims court for the cost of the laptop and the bed.

(In practical terms, just pointing these things out to him might finally get him moving.)
>>
>>17009426
What state do you live in? Roof leakage can count as life threatening repairs and should be taken care of immediately. For instance, in my state, landlords have to fix life threatening issues in 2 days. Otherwise, you can legally sue. Find your states regulations and code via the Internet, townhall or other means. Read your lease.

You could have grounds for legal action.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.