[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Moral dilemma- mailbox thief
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: XEAACebf.jpg (203 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
XEAACebf.jpg
203 KB, 600x300
I posted here a few months ago about my mail being stolen. Well, I saw who the thief was, but I don't know if I should say anything.

For background, I live in an apartment complex that doesn't have a locked mailbox. My mail started being stolen half a year ago. It was necessities that I couldn't afford to replace, such as socks. I discovered that whoever was stealing was leaving opened packages by the dumpster. They would discard anything they didn't want and keep the rest.

Recently I saw the thief leaving the dumpster and carrying a large bag over her shoulder. It was a young girl (18-20 maybe). She left the stuff she didn't want (food). I contacted my neighbor whose name was on the package. Apparently this girl is stealing women's items like jewelry. She left behind food, so she's not starving. She has been back for more boxes since then.

I don't know if I should set up a camera, because I don't know what her circumstances are that led her to steal. I can only guess that it's for selfish reasons, since it seems she's taking things she likes for herself. But what if she's forced to be doing it? Or is struggling somehow? Should I leave her alone and overlook her stealing? I am also worried about retaliation if she's in a gang.
>>
>>17008287

>I don't know if I should set up a camera, because I don't know what her circumstances are that led her to steal. I can only guess that it's for selfish reasons, since it seems she's taking things she likes for herself. But what if she's forced to be doing it? Or is struggling somehow? Should I leave her alone and overlook her stealing? I am also worried about retaliation if she's in a gang.

Theft is not acceptable, regardless of circumstance. It's not an act of charity to allow someone to rob you. And you're not the only one being affected, as you said, she's robbing your neighbors too. Set up a camera and report her. Also, tell your landlord about the problem and demand that he come up with a better system to protect the mail.
>>
>>17008300
My landlord couldn't care less. The neighbor I spoke to didn't seem to care very much either. It would be up to me to install the camera and report her. Even though I'm mad, I feel sorry for her because turning her in could mess up her life more than she's messed up mine.
>>
>>17008300
Not OP, but while I generally agree with you, I would like to add that in situations where someone is stealing just to survive, I think the best thing to do is leave food/water/etc. for them and otherwise protect your stuff. That way they still get what they need but are (hopefully) no longer stealing from you. But yea, I wouldn't just let them continue stealing from me because they need it.
>>
>>17008340
If she is stealing expensive (non-necessity) things, then fuck her. 99% chance she is doing this of her own volition.
>>
She's a teenage girl. Just confront her and tell her you've called the police. How is she even getting in your building?
>>
>>17008344

This isn't exactly a "steal a crust of bread to feed your family" situation, OP already said she's left food behind in favor of re-sellable items
>>
>>17008366
The building is open to anyone to walk right in. She's not a threat by herself, but it would be bad to confront her if she has partners I don't know about. Another idea I thought of besides the camera would be a decoy box. But what would I put in it? A message?

>>17008378
Maybe she has food but not a place to live. I don't know. I just feel bad.
>>
Fucking set a trap for her, confront her, drag her to the cops and take care of it, fuck this hoe, what ever her situation is she souldnt be stealing in the first place
>>
>>17008392
What if she has a pimp that put her up to it?
>>
>>17008420
You could sit around all day thinking of millions of reasons she could do it that make her look like a angel, that doesn't mean she is. More that likely she is just a thief.
>>
>>17008420
>What if she has a pimp that put her up to it?
Kek, you would be saving her then, her going to jail might save her, and who has a pimp now a days?
>>
So you think it's someone in the building? In any case you suspect a specific person. I'd say maybe try and get to one of your packages before her and mark it in a discreet manner so you have proof. You live in a bad area that you're worried about gangs or something? If a gang was doing it they would be stealing your identy. Maybe you could get a po box. What I'm not getting is why you're not pissed or approached her when you saw her. The asshole in me says to get even somehow.
>>
>>17008287
Worried she's in a gang... lolz, must be a nigger. Get a video of her doing it and go to the cops. She'll never know it was you as long as she doesn't see you filming her.
>>
>>17008287
Get an old fashioned Louisville slugger, wear a mask, sneak up behind her, one to the head, one to each knee, walk away. You don't even need to say a word.
>>
How is this a moral dilemma? It's illegal to steal and it's also illegal to go through someone else's mail. She's breaking the law plain and simple and from what you've observed she's not doing it to feed some starving family of hers so I don't see how you're having a moral issue with this. Recorder her and turn that evidence in.
>>
File: 094023740.jpg (168 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
094023740.jpg
168 KB, 500x500
>>17008512
It's not one of my neighbors. I'm in a sort of bad area. That's the other thing I'm worried about. Are the police going to see me as pic related? Last month I reported a car driving erratically because the male driver was busy beating the shit out of the female passenger. The police didn't do anything. I'm just making excuses now, but I'm afraid I'll be laughed out of the station. Also because the stolen jewelry was a sterling silver pair of butt earrings.

>>17008523
If I never return here, I was murdered.
>>
>>17008392
What kind of trap should I set up besides the camera? Should I get a dye pack?
>>
>>17008578
Yeah, by the time the cops would of got there they'd be gone. I'd say get your neighbor on board and find more if possible, the cops can't ignore multiple calls about the same thing from the same place. Get a fake surveillance camera or even a light connected to a motion detector. Who knows maybe there are codes about the mailbox that would force the landlord to deal with it. All shit aside, she's probably not in a gang or part of a more sophisticated operation, give me a break. Most criminals are ones of opportunity.
>>
>>17008629
Okay. I was just being paranoid. Thanks.
>>
>>17008621

Leave out a package that looks like it's from an online shop or something, addressed to you. Put a piece of paper inside that says "YOU'RE ON CAMERA, I KNOW WHO YOU ARE, NEVER COME BACK HERE"

you might not even need to actually buy a camera
>>
>>17008668
I'm thinking more like dog shit or something
>>
>>17008681

Maybe both?

I think the note's important because you want to scare her off. If the police don't care, and your landlord doesn't care, you pretty much just need a way to stop her from coming back. Hopefully, she doesn't KNOW that the police don't care, so the fear of arrest/surveillance will be enough of a deterrent. It's better than some kind of direct confrontation or "citizen's arrest" deal, which is likely to blow up in your face and make you look like the bad guy if you lay a finger on this girl.
>>
>>17008692
Yeah, if it was in the same building I'd be tempted to say do a direct concentration.
>>
>>17008681
This could backfire if she smears it all over my neighbor's doors.

>>17008692
That's a good idea. I'll use a fake address, though. btw I'm also a young girl.
>>
>>17008704

Honestly you could just post up the note next to the mailboxes, instead of hiding it in a fake package. Same difference. Just let her know that cameras have been installed, and she'll be arrested if she ever comes back.
>>
Oh, not sure why I thought you were a guy. I guess it explains the fear better, no offense.
>>
>>17008712
If the complex lets me do that, I'll try. Do you think the fear of being caught will prevent her from stealing from other buildings? Ideally she'd stop doing this altogether.

>>17008741
No offense taken. I talk like an old dude but had to say something because it was relevant to confronting her or not.
>>
>>17008760
She should stop but all you can worry about is you. The quickest and easiest way might be to get a sign that states the area is under surveillance. She visits enough that she might think that the jig is up and move on. Walmart or a home improvement store will probably have something. Instead of the cops maybe try the postal service if things don't improve.
>>
>>17008287
fucking christ you're pathetic.

How fucking weak do you have to be to just let the world walk all over you like this?

Put a box with a bomb in it out next time. Let the dumb bitch steal it and when she ops it up she loses both her fucking arms like what she deserves.
>>
>>17008846
Alright, gonna get a sign.

>>17008882
Then we'd both go to jail.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.