[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it true that genetics can make it more difficult to lose weight
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
Is it true that genetics can make it more difficult to lose weight or is that something fatties say just to feel better about being fat?
>>
>>17005814

Both, but mostly the latter.
>>
>>17005814
The latter. Unless you have thyroid problems. There are notable exceptions such as that, but they are few. In most cases they use genetics as an excuse. It's possible that being lazy and weak willed is genetic though so perhaps there is some validity to their claim. Basically they just suck though.
>>
>>17005814
I can confirm genetics can aid in weight gain/loss as an unhealthy skinny person, but I think the majority of fat people are large because of their parents and unhealthy habits formed in childhood along with the fact that it's hard to lose or gain more than 7-10 pounds during adulthood.
>>
Genes are an element in metabolism, but so is diet and exercise.

Some people are genetically predisposed to store excess calories as fat, this evolved from thousands of years as hunter gathers who had lean winters and had to stock up like animals do to survive in hard times. BUt they were also VERY active people, always on the move. In today's society where you can hold down a chair 14 hours a day and still eat 4x as many calories as your ancestors, its really not compatible with their genetics at all, Hence the obesity epidemic. Though a large part of that is also the amount of sugars and carbs we eat these days which we are also not designed for.

So, people who are predisposed to fatness have to have a more active life style.

So yes it is genetic, but it is a choice not to compensate against that by eating right and exercising.
>>
>>17006025
this. also (and take this for whatever you think it's worth because you can find "research" to support just about anything) some studies are finding that exercise really doesn't help some people lose weight. some people can drop weight by exercising and others can do the same amount and weigh the same. they still get all the health benefits of it, better blood sugar, good cardiovascular health etc. but they don't have a decrease in body fat and they are not just replacing it all with muscle. it varies from person to person, but generally women's bodies tend to hold onto fat more. my unprofessional guess is that it was an evolutionary thing - women who are too thin will stop ovulating and can miscarry if already pregnant.

other factors in weight include
>hormone levels
>sleep deprivation/quality of sleep
>medication
the first two of which sometimes have a genetic factor in themselves.
>>
>>17005814
Do you see any fat Africans
>>
I'm going to stop this thread right here. You have an expert among you, since this is my job you would do well to listen.
metabolism is determined by 2 factors, species and body mass. All human have the same base metabolic rate, and larger humans have a "faster" metabolic rate than smaller humans because obviously their bodies use more energy. so actually fat people have faster metabolisms than skinny people.

calories determine how much fat you have, not genetics.
What genetics will determine is how the fat sits on your body, so yes you can have people with lower body fat who /look/ fatter than people with a higher percentage, but it's really cosmetic. The fat is there it's just sitting better.

that's all I got. nothing more to say on the matter
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.