[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /adv/ Im a classically trained musician in NYC (got a performance
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: typical_christians.jpg (67 KB, 527x527) Image search: [Google]
typical_christians.jpg
67 KB, 527x527
Hey /adv/

Im a classically trained musician in NYC (got a performance degree and everything). I am hurting. I am about $200 short on my rent every month. I've played one gig in 4 months, and it was a catholic school's production of footloose. I am a good musician. Not a virtuoso, but I can meet or exceed the musical expectations of any door I walk through. Still, the opportunities are few and far between, and meanwhile, I am getting further and further in debt, with little to show for it. Some days I dont eat because I cant afford it.

I want to move back to Chicago for a year and get a paralegal degree. I already love law, I listen to all the supreme court audio online, and more hobby type stuff like that. Furthermore, the degree wouldnt cost me a penny (my mother teaches at the same school and my tuition would be reimbursed)

I see this as a way of moving forward. At the same time, I've been calling myself a musician since I was 12 years old. Its not just the only thing I wanted to do, but its the only thing I did.

Unfortunately, I see more and more how selfish a music career is. I am saying to all of you, "You must work in the fields and factories, so I can live in adequate luxury to practice my art." I am also becoming frustrated with musicians, and the fact that art in general is really con artist bullshit. But I cant shake the feeling that Im giving up on myself

How to cope?
>>
>>17004649

>I see more and more how selfish a music career is
>art in general is really con artist bullshit

It really isn't. People need art and music just as much as they need anything else. And as you're finding out for yourself, it isn't exactly easy or cushy or luxurious to make your way towards an actual career. It's fucking hard.

So get your paralegal degree, get a side job, but don't talk yourself into giving up on music. You can do both. Music can be a lifelong passion, it's hard to turn it into a regular JOB, but that doesn't mean you just have to stop and leave it behind.
>>
You donĀ“t cease to be a musician because your career is different. Most people, even performers, have different daily jobs
>>
You are becoming an adult and realizing how the adult world works. Now that you realized that Santa doesn't exist, get a real job like most of us. Play music as a hobby like most of us but work work work work work.
>>
>>17004649
you may have to start "busking" to make up the short fall in rent. its what the old blues musicians used to do to make sure they had a roof and still eat for that week.
>>
>>17004649

go be a paralegal.

the thing is being an artist doesnt have to be a career. there is plenty of time to play for fun and even gigs. especially in this day and age where its easy to gain a following by doing covers on youtube and the like.

yes, you might be great, but that doesnt make you marketable, and there are other great people to compete against. its okay to take a job doing something you like, to support yourself doing something you love.

you dont have to choose one or the other. you just cant dedicate your whole existence to one.
>>
>>17004708

Most legit advice ITT

>>17004708
I already busk. I can pull $50 in two hours, but its extremely exhausting, and you can over work spots very easily. Its not like you can go out every single day and do that realistically
>>
>>17004674

You don't know how wrong you are. It's easy to look at what has endured and say that your bachs and beethoovens made a difference. But you just don't have the mountains of shit that had to be discarded to get to that, or the musical world it was born from

I'm sure there are a few honest bankers as well
>>
You are right that art is inherently selfish, op, but that doesn't make it wrong in moderation. If you live music and it is something you want to do for yourself, get a job and live off that. You can always play a gig when you have the chance.
>>
>>17004649
>I see more and more how selfish a music career is
Why the hell would you say that? Because you really enjoy it?
>>
>I am saying to all of you, "You must work in the fields and factories, so I can live in adequate luxury to practice my art."

nah, that's bullshit. Art isn't the most productive field obviously, but you're not going to make much money for it, and the field-and-factory workers DEMAND music and are willing to trade the fruit of our labor for it.

the problem is that art is easy, art is fun, and as a result the field is really highly competative. If you've got something worthwhile to contribute though you should do it.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.