[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Caught oneitis for this theater major I used to fuck around with.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (237 KB, 618x412) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
237 KB, 618x412
Caught oneitis for this theater major I used to fuck around with. I never got to know her super well but I got a glimpse of her world and the crowd she rolled with... And I'm fucking jealous. The crazy characters, the eccentricity, the passion in her artsy friends was so admirable and she shared those same traits... I wanted that in my life.

My whole life I wanted to be a creative and live that eccentric carefreelifestyle (not theater necessarily), but I chose to take my immigrant parents' advice and pursue STEM.... It's fucking soul sucking to me no offense to those who love it, and I have no leads despite applying, interviewing and getting rejected everywhere

Now I keep comparing my life to this girl and I tell myself she's so much better than me, she's following her dreams, she'll probably be successful and she's happy. I'm not necessarily still pining after her but there are times where I genuinely feel like dropping the fuck out of uni and pursuing a "passion" field in the arts or design, saying "fuck you" to my financial future so I can live a exciting creative life as her and never be sad again.

Tl;dr failed oneitis triggered bigger picture existential crisis

what do
>>
>>17001923
Why don't you just experiment with making art or music or something else creative in your spare time? Most artists can't quit their day job anyway, and at least STEM pays well enough that you can afford high-quality supplies.
>>
>>17001950
I considered just doing that, but my gut is telling me to take the plunge and go 100% artsy to really get into an entirely different world
>>
>>17002165
Good luck being a worthless leech entirely dependant on others then.
>>
>>17002165
Are you sure that's not just laziness and impulse talking? Because that's what it sounds like to me. This guy gave you very reasonable advice: >>17001950

You want to ignore your training up to this point to "jump into another world"? OK, cool, I hope you get to do that but:
>how are you going to feed yourself
>how are you going to payback your student loans
>how are you going to do anything
You don't even have a concrete plan. You're basing your life decisions on "gut feelings" with no plan.

Please try and be better at life than a 12 year old girl.
>>
>>17001923

Ok. Now let's fast-forward 10 years
>they make shit money at some theater somewhere
>wacky eccentric personality stops being attractive past the age of 30
>typically hate their lives when they realize this and that they're going to be stuck making pennies for what they love and turn to weed/drugs to have a good time
>>
>>17002234
Tbh that doesn't sound that bad
>>
theater girls are cuhrayzee
>>
>>17002234
We all die anyways may as well do what you want. Even if all the emotions are temporary.
>>
>>17002270
fucking. truth.
>>
File: 1457409864308.jpg (181 KB, 680x881) Image search: [Google]
1457409864308.jpg
181 KB, 680x881
>>17001923
I used to play in a touring metal band (signed and played with a few huge bands), and I also traveled around the country and slept in my car before that.

I had a bunch of good looking friends who were all highly talented and did badass/irresponsible stuff all of the time.

Once I hit 22, I kinda realized I was just a stupid faggot not going anywhere. I gained self-awareness and realized that I am having fun, but it's pointless. I completely dropped all of that shit, and went to college.

Now I'm almost finished, and I can't stand a single one of my old friends. I hate my old band, I hate all of our songs, I hate all of our fans, I just hate that entire world. It's stupid and pathetic. If I could go back in time and study a STEM major, I definitely would.

Don't fall for the "artsy/yolo/fun interesting life" meme OP. It's bullshit.
>>
Stick with your degree dude, the feelings will pass

But you will always want to marry an arty girl. Try to find one with less drama.
>>
>>17001923
idk if you should quit the STEM field right away, like this anon here >>17001950 suggested, you could start doing it on the side. it could be that you crave some outlet for creativity in your own life as well, so maybe join an improve or theater group.
>>
Hi creative person here. Creativity is not appreciated in our society. She has a rough road ahead of her. It's hard to create things for the same people who belittle your work of no value and stay motivated to make 30k a year and never be able to afford a house of your own unless you develop a fan base online. There are too many people and human lifeel is of no value. Your best bet is to go into a creative trade that is not considered an art. Maybe try a type of engineering or weilding.
>>
I'll be the contrarian, OP. I'm not in STEM necessarily, but I took the stable tech/math route in life, and now every day sucks. People who say "do it in your spare time" are probably too young to realize that as you get older, your life just gets clogged with more extraneous shit and keeps you from doing anything that you love, because you're too tired. At the end of the day you just want to come home and sit in bed because keeping yourself in shape, dealing with a family/friends and keeping more than one or two partial hobbies is practically impossible with a full time job that saps your creativity for a bare minimum of 40 hours a week.

Fight for what you love now while you still can.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.