[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
32 too old for schizophrenia?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: 207777924_o.jpg (61 KB, 1024x685) Image search: [Google]
207777924_o.jpg
61 KB, 1024x685
It's been happening more and more lately that I hear whispering when I'm all alone. It will start off real low, and as I start to focus it will get louder and louder and then just stop. I can't ever really make out what is being said, but it sounds like they're talking about me.

But I'm 32, that's too old to develop schizophrenia, right?
>>
>>17001590
nope. It can happen at any age.

But don't over think it.
>>
>>17001597
I though it was like 18-20 normally? Are you really going to make me google this shit?
>>
Mental health professional here. Hearing voices does not necessarily mean that you are schizophrenic. It may be quite a few other ootions. What is your gender?
>>
If you are hearing whispers and they are impeding your quality of life go to a psychological ER or psychiatrist.
>>
>>17001691
I'm a guy.

>>17001698
I don't know if they are impeding my quality of life... not so much as they come out of nowhere and last for a few minutes, and then do away just as suddenly.
>>
>>17001691
so uh, mental health professional, where you at?

Also here's another thing, why does google always want me to select mountains. what are they trying to say??
>>
>>17001603
>Are you really going to make me google this shit?
gotta be a troll, and if not I'm gonna treat it as one. I see some industrial strength laziness on this site but this takes the piss.
>>
>>17001821
>thanks for the bump

seriously though, everything I've ever read said late teens early 20's. I'm not super sure it is schizophrenia, but I wanna know what it actually is, and I dont want to go to a doctor because that would cost too much.
>>
>>17001590
How do you know they're talking about you?
>>
>>17001832
>thanks for the bump
>thinking sage doesn't work
try saging something and checking the catalog sometime matey
>>
>>17001832
Different profesional here, doctoral level. A first psychic episode is rare past the early 20s but its not unheard of.

Also, are you a regular user of cannabis?
>>
>>17001836
I don't know, I just get the impression they are. It's more of a feeling more then anything, something about the tone, it's very hushed. They have to be talking about me, they don't want me to hear. I can't make out what's actually being said.
>>
>>17001850
Do you know who they are? Can you ever make out anything?
>>
>>17001846
>a regular user of cannabis
nope, I gave that shit up in my late 20's. It was making me super paranoid.
>>
>>17001853
No, I don't know who they are. Also can't really make it out. It's like someone is standing just outside my door or window. It's just far enough away that I can't make out more then a voice or two. It often leaves me with the feeling they are about to enter the room I'm in.
>>
>>17001850

Look up from your computer. Hold your breath, and listen. You will be able to sense them watching you.
>>
>>17001865
Normally I'd say its not a big deal, just anxiety looking for patterns in random environmental stimuli. This sense of threat and the history of paranoia give me a little pause. Not enough that I think you're psychotic, but enough that you might want to see a psychiatrist.
>>
>>17001866
I can't will it, I have tried. It happens when I'm not expecting it.

>>17001875
>history of paranoia
I'm talking like full on, hiding under the bed with a knife because they are coming for me, that's why I stopped. I used to love it, it was so relaxing, and then it suddenly changed. But I almost never do that any more.
>>
>>17001891

I was just fucking with you (lazily). I think the solution is to confirm that it's all in your head a couple of times. In that case, you will at least clearly know where you stand.

Iirc studies show that high IQ/educated people are generally capable of coping with mental illness because they are aware of it and can work around it.

As far as whether or not you are actually schizo, If you are extremely stressed/sleep deprived atm, it could be temp, try to fix those things.
>>
>>17001902
>extremely stressed
I'm always stressed, I work in digital marking. I have 40+ accounts and work over 50 hours a week.
>>
>>17001891
>I'm talking like full on, hiding under the bed with a knife because they are coming for me, that's why I stopped. I used to love it, it was so relaxing, and then it suddenly changed. But I almost never do that any more.

Yeah, time to make an appointment.
>>
>>17001902
>I was just fucking with you
Also you did fuck with me. You freaked me out for a few minutes there.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.