[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If a man is kind and behaves entirely based on the principle
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6
File: 1458172741811.gif (1 MB, 540x300) Image search: [Google]
1458172741811.gif
1 MB, 540x300
If a man is kind and behaves entirely based on the principle of making other people's lives better, does that hurt his manhood, make him less masculine, etc?
>>
>>17001315
The only that makes a someone less masculine is obsessing over what is or isn't masculine.
>>
Manhood and masculinity are subjective. If he's going by the traditional definitions of these term the most manly thing he could do is whatever the fuck he wants and not letting the judgment of others dictate his actions.
>>
>>17001315
it doesnt make him less masculine it breaks his spirit.
as most people will see you give but they will take what ever they need from you whether it be time money or both. i am not saying you shouldnt do good things for other people but your happiness is important too. and do what makes you happy
>>
>>17001315

Explain the logic of:

>haves entirely based on the principle of making other people's lives better

Then explain how you plan to accomplish it. Go on, I will wait.
>>
>>17001369

1) Good things are good.
2) People enjoy good things.
3) If a individual makes good things for others, there will be moe good.

Therefore, doing good things for others is a logical behaviour.

That is, to serve others, do things for others, be selfless, not selfish, behave accordingly to the needs and emotions of others.

I don't know how to accomplish that yet, but I intend on doing small things first, and then move on to bigger ones.
>>
>>17001604

You didn't answer any of my questions.

Why is the well being of others more important than your own well being?

What small things?
>>
>>17001604
To serve others to the detriment of yourself is foolish. Serve others of course, but don't let your want to serve get in the way of your wellbeing.

Like everything in life, it requires balance
>>
Did.... did you really ask that? Are men compelled to think manhood is made fun of being a piece of shit? And being a woman is being caring and loyal in that case- oh you fucks won't agree though
>>
>>17001657

The feminist is on the lo0se.
>>
You only help others because it makes you feel good anyway.

All actions are inherently selfish. Often, our actions have mutually beneficial side effects, but we only do those things over other things because we feel good about doing them.
>>
>>17001613
I don't see any other reason to live for honestly. Im just too useless, pathetic, irrelevant and expendable to lead my own life, so the way I see it, my purpose in life is to be useful to others.
>>
Selfless service does not make you less manly. In fact they teach it in the military. Not the kindness part so much though.

Understanding manhood takes a lot of maturity and wisdom. You will always have to embrace some level of submission, sacrifice, and service anywhere you go in the real world. This is why obsessing over manliness and manhood is foolish.

TL;DR
No.
>>
>>17001907

This is the confession I was waiting for. The answer is you can't help anyone if you can't even help yourself.
>>
>>17001369
1) Keep niggers out of the country
2)?????
3) Profit

Literally do this and you are golden.
>>
>>17001315

Absolutely not. In fact, a man who is man enough to give up his selfish desires and do the right thing is more of a man than others.

Like we talk about when this shit gets invoked with relationships, there's a big difference between doing the right thing, treating others like you'd like to be treated, and being a doormat. You can stand up for yours and others' convictions and not be a pussy.

You won't always get everything you want, and honestly, sometimes you won't get any appreciation for something you do, but that's fine. It's not a matter of smug satisfaction that you're doing the right thing, it's just knowing you did.

People take notice of this shit. It makes your life more enriching.

As stupid as it sounds, I've modeled myself after pic related since I was 12, 19 years ago, and people around me know that I'll stand up not only for myself, but for them. It's worked, and has helped me live an enriching, manly life.
>>
>>17001604
Your premises are trash, but even if they were valid your logic takes a jump. If good things are good, you can make more good by making good things. Such f good things need not be in the service of others, and might even be corrupted into bad things by them.
>>
>>17002088
Good advice
>>
>>17001315
Yes and No. It can be double blade

Making other happy also make you happy. It increase your emotional value and joy. People have more respect for you, and it boost your self-esteem. If you ever in trouble the people you have been helping would gladly to give you a hand on whatever problem your having, even if you dont ask

But

There are other people would take granted of your kindness and take advantage of it and use you to whatever benefit they need. Your just a blind man and giving out everything you have to help them. Then you would be fuck.

What I mean is theres nothing wrong with being too nice to others but sometime you have to be selfish too.

Take this story for example

https://youtu.be/s9TOWIc_KLU
>>
>>17001315
>If a man is kind and behaves entirely based on the principle of making other people's lives better, does that hurt his manhood, make him less masculine, etc?

Yes. He has to do it in a superficial context.
>>
>>17002055
Hahaha look at this idiot, you can most definitely help others when you can't help yourself
>>
>>17001315
if he does it because he believes it's the right and moral thing to do, no. it was good enough for fucking marcus aurelius, it's good enough for you.

if he does it mainly to get girls, like "see what a good person I am? :DDD plz gib de pussi" then yeah it's kinda spineless.

that being said, a lot of women find principled men attractive. so there's nothing wrong with acknowledging that and using it as an extra motivator. but at the heart of it, you should be doing it because you feel it's the right thing to do.
>>
Yes sadly. A person like that has to assert his masculinity by acting like a leader (generally the only option). Which means that when Stacy criticises your altruistic action she should be faced like she doesn't command any respect in you rather than you trying to convince her.
When someone asks about why you're being kind you can convince them you're being altruistic out of principle.

There's a lot of situations where people will point out what you're doing as a flaw. And asserting that you're an alpha male is mainly the only way out.

You can't ridicule them for thinking doing good is somehow not productive. You can't reason with them as freely as you have to see what's best for your image.

And even if people will say 'I like nice people' it's not really what they mean. They want to be given things. If you're doing it on principle they may end up in second place sometimes. Even as your friend/partner. That's where the crux of the matter is. By acting a leader you're leveraging the worth of your altruistic action towards gaining social status, hoping it will outweigh the principled disadvantages your peers see.

All this is generalizations of course. You can find people who have the introspective to know why they like nice people and realize their own problems. It's rather rare though. You tend to find these people in more general political organizations. Like left/right movements or liberalism focused groups. Not special interest like MRA/feminist/animal rights/green peace.

Frankly I think it's only detrimental unless you're already in a pretty good spot. But I can't say that being attractive to people who think like that would appeal to me over being principled. You do it because you think it's what you should do. You don't need the benefits. Question is how much pain you can take. I don't think most relevant (to me) positions would be too problematic for me.
>>
A kind man with self-control and good manners is the ultimate man. Bad boys and punks only look good to young girls and desperate women.
>>
File: seven-social-sins.jpg (2 MB, 5184x3456) Image search: [Google]
seven-social-sins.jpg
2 MB, 5184x3456
>>17001315
Absolutely not. But I wouldn't concern yourself with masculinity. Also, I wouldn't frame it as "making everyone's lives better." Stupid way to look at it, because it's hard to know what will make someone's life better. Plus, trying too hard to please someone else usually ends badly.

You should instead dedicate yourself to being the best person possible. Strong, confident, capable, nice, friendly, brave, etc.

Focus on improving yourself and doing what you think is the right thing to do on a daily basis. Detach yourself from your ego. Forget about things you do to make yourself look good and instead do what is best for everyone.

I think Gandhi's Seven Social Sins is a good starting block.
>>
>all these plebs caring with what's masculine or not
Nigger shits, I have sex with men everyday and I'm not one bit gay, you insecure dense fucks.
>>
>>17003584

Bullshit. No offense, but being nice has never gotten someone to point out what I'm doing wrong. It's gotten "hey guys, you're gonna love my buddy anon, he treats everyone awesome! Cool dude to party with, too."

People hold my opinions in high regard and often look to me for advice or direction when putting things together. That's not to say everyone loves me, they don't, but most do, and life is more pleasant to live that way. No one wants to compete because they don't need to. I don't need to belittle "Stacey" and not take her opinion in any regard, I can work constructively with her to see a different way we can do something that would make most everyone happy.

Life doesn't have to be a power struggle.
>>
>>17003602
I guess your 'principles' means you're nice according to the situations. I've read many books on being nice and none of them claim people will treat you well all the time. The reason is that being nice doesn't mean that you help people achieve their goals. It means you help people achieve what you view as their best option.

And if you're a person who is genuinely 'nice' and tries to help people enough that you start thinking about their situations then you will often find that when people are in poor situations they aren't going to go towards their option a lot of the time. Sure, you can try to reason but not everyone responds to that. You can choose to go with what they decided was the best option or you can subvert them. Is that nice? It's a difficult question to answer but it generally depends on if you're ascribing to consequentialism or not. But that's just an indicator. Because a consequentialist would be required to consider the consequences. If you're just 'nice' (I'm doubting you're trying hard enough) then you may very well support things with disastrous consequences. Like writing an assignment for someone who's stressed out about it because they have more to do. I've done that but it was a bit more complicated.

And all that's just assuming you're not principled in some other way like being adamant about democracy. Which a lot of people oppose without realizing it though that's just politics so it mainly just annoys people. But you can see how being principled in other ways may cause conflict I hope.

So I don't think you're being very nice if you say that you being nice/principled only makes people like you. Perhaps if you're principle is to always do what they want. Sure.
>>
File: 1459516918070.png (478 KB, 651x483) Image search: [Google]
1459516918070.png
478 KB, 651x483
>>17001315
You should drown in your ideals and die
>>
File: 1454976658702.jpg (9 KB, 193x195) Image search: [Google]
1454976658702.jpg
9 KB, 193x195
>>17001315
Shirou pls

>>17003721
>not using pic related
>>
>>17003738
>>17003721
Do NOT watch the anime before reading the VN, OP, if you get interested.
The MC has the same mentality as you
>>
>>17001315
The world is full of selfish people that will find that unappreciative.

I found that it really helps if you don't give two shits about them. If the type of person you are is a person who naturally helps people, then choose those that are deserving, that would find it appreciative.

I generally help a lot of people and most don't appreciate my opinion. Doesn't mean I have to care.
>>
>>17001315
No, that just means you have the Will of Fire.
>>
File: 654634545.gif (768 KB, 500x230) Image search: [Google]
654634545.gif
768 KB, 500x230
>>17001315
There's a difference between caring about others and being the universal tampon of all around you. You can be kind and helpful, helping out those in need and being someone they can turn to without being a total cuck.

The problem comes when you put everyone's issues ahead of yours. You shouldn't just help people regardless of who they are and what they mean to you. Not all people deserve help and kindness, especially not at your own expense.

Don't let people use you and help those who deserve it.
>>
>>17001315

No

/thread
>>
>>17001315
As long as he isn't a push over and is confident in himself it's more masculine to me then some tryhard muscle faggot.
>>
>>17002055
This is most untrue. Therapists say this. When pressed they don't justify it at all. Mine gave me the respect to tell me the only reason she thinks that is because she sees that most people she meets are in a state where they couldn't help people. And she motivated why me specifically might not be able to. It has proven to be untrue in my case. I've helped people a lot, I volunteer and stuff. I help people I'm close to too. So I said that. She claimed that I should prioritize myself over that. I asked why, if I'm helping people isn't that better than just helping my DID and depression. She changed subject.

What you posted is just crap people say to try and convince others they're smart. Don't do that here. You're anonymous, you don't have to do that.

>if you go to a therapist why aren't you following her advice
Because I've decided it's not worth the cost. People rely on me now. That'd be a sane justification for why you shouldn't try to get into it or why you should cut your generosity before that happens. Because it may turn out worse for them if you can't handle it.

But by the same logic anyone depressed should kill themselves now rather than later because the suffering you cause to those around you while alive and depressed if you think you won't make it anyway. And practically anyone with suicidal thoughts does think that.
>>
No, unless you are doing it in exchange for sex/gratitude/recondition. No one likes a martyr, that's why so many of them get killed. Because they're fucking faggots.
>>
Only if you define a man solely on masculinity
But if you define a man as a measure of conviction
>>
>>17001325

Will this fucking meme perpetrated by beta faggots ever die?

Unless you a) fuck chicks, b) work out, c) bully other people then you are a fucking effeminate faggot with low testosterone

Fuck off
>>
>>17002055
You're an idiot.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.