[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I see a different psych?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 640x640
So I've gone to see my current psychiatrist a total of 6 different times and of all those times I doubt I've been with him in his office for even an hour.

I usually go see him, very briefly describe how I feel and then he gives me a prescription in like 2 minutes.

Is this normal or should I go see a different psych?
>>
>>17000225

depends what you want. if you have no actual mental disorders and dont want to be medicated, i suggest seeing a therapist. they tend to focus on figuring out why you are sad, addressing those issues, etc.
>>
Sounds like your psych is a fraud. So yes.
>>
>>17000226
I'm in therapy, just in a bad situation currently and needed some meds to get through it.

>>17000234
I was thinking the same.
>>
>>17000238

then idk what you expect. you already have a therapist handling your therapy problems and a psychiatrist giving meds for what you think you need.
>>
>>17000225
Sounds like normal psychiatrist behavior to me. You didn't think he/she cared about you as an individual did you?
>>
>>17000250
The short amount of time doesn't allow him to speak to me and ask me at all how my medication is effecting me, discuss side-effects with me, or even to inquire about my history to determine the best meds for me.

He put me on Zoloft and neglected to tell me about its ample side effects.

Then when I wanted to get off of the meds he told me to get off them cold turkey, neglecting to tell me that withdrawal from SSRIs can be a living hell for most people, and not allowing me to gradually lower my dose.
>>
>>17000265
OK, now that's bad even by their standards. You should find a new one.
>>
>>17000265
This guy doesn't care about you or your health and life withdrawals are dangerous get a new dr
>>
I have a psychiatrist who talks for about an hour every time asking me to explain how my days go, how my meds are helping me and my sexdrive is. It's pretty weird in my mind because she's not a therapist. I mean maybe she's just interested in side effects and mentions sexdrive specifically because people are awkward about that.

But I'm too socially inept to understand this situation/her motivations well, we've met 3 times now (every 2-3 weeks). I don't even actually know what a psychiatrist is supposed to do normally. I've understood it as a mind doctor. Which would be pretty much accurate with how OP describes it right? They ask about symptoms and suggest dosage. I have other doctors appointment concerning a prescription drug which go exactly like that.
>>
>>17000265

yeah get a new doctor. but in the future, always ask.
>>
Thanks guys, I'm gonna go ahead and begin looking for a new psych.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.