[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Seeing a Psychiatrists?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: image.png (2 KB, 193x146) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2 KB, 193x146
I have pretty bad social anxiety. Someone on another board even mentioned that it sounded like Avoidant Personality Disorder

Well, whatever it may be, it's really starting to mess everything up, it seems. Like, it just keeps growing and getting worse. I stopped attending a couple of my classes just because one of my peers spoke to me

My self esteem is getting progressively worse as well. It sometimes feels like I could never despise someone as much as myself and I'm ashamed of my entire existence. I do have one close relationship and it was good, but now I'm getting a little paranoid. Like she doesn't like me, she can't like me. I feel like there's some ulterior motive or maybe I'm a placeholder or something

Ah anyway, my point is, it's just keeps getting worse. I'm too afraid to go to school, find a job or even leave the room, so I was thinking about seeing a psychiatrist? But the problem with that is that I'm afraid. I'm worried that they'll think I'm just being stupid and I know it's their job to kind of hear you out but I'm afraid of what they'll think or say and the whole idea of spending an half an hour or so there and I'm worried I'll be too afraid to speak and that I'll waste their time or something

Has anyone with social anxiety ever visited a psychiatrist for help? Have you coped without one? Is it something you just have to power through?
>>
No. My anxiety got worse and worse. Couldn't get out of bed. Felt like I was choking all the time.

Went to psychiatrist and am on Prozac and xanax. Life is much more tolerable now.
>>
>>16997706

go to a therapist first and seek guidance on facing your fears.

drugs are a last result for people who are chemically fucked up.
>>
>>16997751
How many visits until you stopped seeing them/got meds? I don't have insurance right now and am pretty poor and am depending on savings at the moment
>>
>>16997758
I might try that, but I don't know if therapy sessions would help very much. The most I've ever done was see a counselor and we kind of sat in silence for most of the time and I stopped going

I'll give it a try, though, I just want to get through the whole thing as fast as possible and was just hoping that I'd get meds and be done with it
>>
If you see a psychiatrist you should get scripts first session
>>
Also I still have to go see her every two months for refills. $100 per visit, but worth it for my piece of mind.
>>
I was in the EXACT same spot as you a year ago. Now I see a psychiatrist and a psychologist. Depending on what kind of help you want will depend on which kind of doctor you should see.

If you think you may want to try medication to help your anxiety, see a psychiatrist: they can prescribe medication, while psychologists cannot. If you are thinking about medication, but are unsure. I recommend trying Ativan (lorazepam). Its a "take only when needed" type of anxiety medication. I take it, and it works wonders for me. That being said, be cautious.. Benzo's (anxiety meds) are very addicting.

If you see a psychiatrist/psycologist they will help you to realize that your anxious thoughts are not true, and they will slowly help introduce you back into society <3 trust me, getting help is worth it. You'll be back on your feet in no time. Good luck OP
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.