[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My debit card got declined at a nice restaurant yesterday and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 1453843537564.gif (98 KB, 314x319) Image search: [Google]
1453843537564.gif
98 KB, 314x319
My debit card got declined at a nice restaurant yesterday and made me look like a tremendous fuckup in front of someone.

I had $48,000 in my account, so it wasn't a balance issue. How do I ensure this never happens again?
>>
Use cash
>>
Get over yourself.
>>
You have 48k in one account? No other accounts, lines of credit?
>>
>>16997648

cash helps. but you should also talk to your bank about restrictiosn on charges, and insist that they dont have any restrictions. some cards wont spend more than 300 a day. ive had cards that stopped working simply because i ordered something online.

but instead of sending you an email letting you know, they just wait til your card gets declined at the groccery store with 200 dollars of groceries waiting to be paid for,
>>
>>16997648
Bring money instead. If you can't then don't eat at restaurants.
>>
>>16997688

I have money elsewhere as well. I was able to still pay, but it was very embarrassing to have someone walk up to me and have them tell me my card was declined.

>>16997697

This is my problem. They told me it was "fraud protection," but I fail to see how me eating at a restaurant 10 miles from my house is close to fraudulent.

>>16997679

Carrying cash everywhere is both infuriating and unsafe.
>>
>>16997723

they are dilholes with an arbitrary system, and you unfortunately cannot talk to anyone who actually matters at the company. so go to your banker in person and ask about how to change account restrictions, and what other accounts they offer that dont have these restrictions. just know that if someone does pull some fraud shit you would / will be screwed cuz they wont reimburse since you insisted on these things.

that being said, if the bank doesnt offer a less 'fraud preventing method' option, simply go to another bank and see what they offer. the best of both worlds is a bank that will make the charge, then call you if there is suspicious activity as opposed to just stopping it outright.

the issue was likely not that you were at a restaurant ten miles away, but rahter that you spent more than you normally would.
>>
>>16997723
The guy above is right, you should learn to not be embarrassed. The cards don't always work as they should. I carry cash and other cards to use. Don't rely on one method.

And I bet you have some shit bank like BoA or something.
>>
>>16997648
Always carry a small amount of cash in your wallet in case something like that happend, if you live by yourself so keep a cash-stash at home just in case too.

lost my card 2 month ago and that saved my life.
>>
>>16997648
Accepting that it could happen in the future.
>>
>>16997648
They work on patterns. If your usual spend is under $50 and close to home, a $200 spend someplace else will ring alarm bells.

Unfortunately their default mode is to block the card first and ask questions later. You might be able to talk them into changing that.

Even better, get a no-fee credit card and use it for big or unusual purchases. You have enough money to pay it off every month, so it will cost you nothing.
>>
>>16997648
Go to your bank and ask them to change the limit on your card. Sometimes your bank will only let you use it a serton amount of times, or have a spending limit.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.