[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So guys I'm in uni. I'm 2 years through a chemical
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 5678..jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
5678..jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
So guys

I'm in uni. I'm 2 years through a chemical engineering degree, should've been 3 but i fucked up. At this point I'm way too invested with time and money to switch majors, but I'm not happy with it. I chose it because I'm alright at math and chem used to be interesting. My willpower to work is dwindling. When I have the time and I could be working, I'm too upset to do so for various reasons, most of them stemming from the fact that I can't make/keep a solid friend on this campus, so I feel lonely.

Even if I was magically given the choice to do whatever I want, it wouldn't do me much good, because I have no idea. I have no hobbies, interests. I game and browse and write journals to vent out the frustration sometimes. Beside that my life's pretty void.

I have loving parents and one old friend left back home, so I'm thankful for that. But whenever I express this stuff to them, I'll get some tiny insight and a bit of drive to fix my issues, but as soon as I'm back in the routine of university it fades away. Hence, lack of willpower.

Again, I can't drop out or switch majors because it would be a waste of time and money that my family can't afford. I know I should try to find something that interests me but after being like this for so long it seems less and less likely to happen. I know this is just a big rant but I'd appreciate some feedback rather than just letting the words collect dust in a journal. Feel free to post your own life rant, even.
>>
>>16997465
Maybe you need to find an area of chemical engineering that is interesting?
Like, I have no interest whatsoever in what most people consider to be computer science, but there are some very fascinating things about it.

Chemical engineering sounds like it'd be super fun if rather than getting into high tech stuff, you went for low tech brute force stuff. I wonder how efficient it would be to try do mining just by blasting everything with Chlorine Trifluoride?
>>
>>16997484
Yeah, thankfully there's a lot of variety within the field, so maybe there's hope I'll be content with my career. If I had to choose this second I'd do green energy, but it's less of an interest and more out of a feeling of duty to help fix the planet, so I'm afraid I might end up unhappy.
>>
>>16997516
Well, one specific thing in that field which is literally cool is the possibility that if you used photon upconversion to turn black body radiation into photovoltaic-usable light, then you made loads of very thin photovoltaic cells like that and layered them so they'd absorb each other's black body radiation, then you'd have a photovoltaic block which turns heat into electricity.
>>
>>16997557
Is it viable? Sounds like a neat application with low efficiency
>>
>>16997581
/sci/ hasn't told me otherwise.
And the efficiency increases with how thin you can get the photovoltaic layers.
If you can get a thousand to a metre, then you've got a thousand square metres of heat to electricity conversion in a cubic metre, which is quite substantial.
>>
>>16997618
Well, thank you for showing me a topic that seems cool, generating some interest in this major would be a good first step
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.