[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Taking 2 CompSci classes and 3 electives >Computer Organization
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: end of the semester.png (136 KB, 526x475) Image search: [Google]
end of the semester.png
136 KB, 526x475
>Taking 2 CompSci classes and 3 electives
>Computer Organization & Architecture + Java Programming ll are main priority
>Mid terms come and go
>CO&A midterm grade = A- (not bad amirite)
>Java Programming grade = 0
>not C, not D, but flat 0

I'm not going to sit here and complain about my grades, more so I want some confirmation of information I received from some of my peers.

"Just change your major. Companies don't care about the degree you have as long as you graduate from college"

How true is this statement? I've always wanted to get into the world of cyber-security, but that programming class absolutely destroyed me. My Java Programming l grade last semester was a C+, so I'm well aware I'm not the best programmer out there, but this is the first time in life I received a zero in... anything really.

My peers also told me to write a formal complain to the professor for not including partial credit for showing work since the midterm was on a blue book. I mean, should be nearly impossible for people to not make mistakes on a blue book because of the absences of a compiler. Then again, this professor is tenured and while he has a bad reputation among students, he's recognized highly among CompSci and Engineering professors.

(personally, the fuck should retake his teaching license because his teaching methods are out of date)
>>
It's significantly true, but if you failed CS II then you are NOT AT ALL cut out for programming. Not even as a code monkey.
That is babby tier shit. I learned all of that on the job by accident.
that being said, getting an absolute 0 means either:
Your teacher had it out for you, and this will be obvious, so lodge a complaint
Or you didn't do your homework, didn't turn it in, didn't show up for class or tests, or were so amazingly fucking wrong with every answer that there was no partial credit to give.

Either way it doesn't sound like you're cut out for CS. Try a different interest or Business.
> he's recognized highly among CompSci and Engineering professors.
> the fuck should retake his teaching license because his teaching methods are out of date)
Sounds like you're a bitter fuck that's blaming his instructor instead of taking responsibility for your decision to not get help when you needed it, and your own ignorance.
>>
>>16997398
Had to google 'code monkey'

I'm just a bit frustrated because during the TA meetings, I was leading with questions and participation. In fact, the class agreed the TA should teach the class. During the midterm, idiots sat next to me in an attempt to copy my answers.

No one could ask questions in class because you'd get torn a new asshole by the professor and not learn anything since he'll just degrade you.

I'm going to try again. I don't have a special aptitude for anything besides sleep. Actually, my best trait is obedience due to strict parenting. That being said, I feel that anything can be learned within a certain time frame. If it will take me a year longer to become a below-average programmer compared to decent programmers, then so be it.
>>
>0
>idiots sat near you because they thought you were smart in order to cheat off of you
Some professors think cheating is a two way street. He might have thought you were an enabler and gave you a 0 for it.

Unless when he went over the test you got everything wrong.

If you're struggling in 100 level courses, you're going to find upper level courses to be impossible. I've gotten straight A's three semesters in a row and am having trouble in a CS course now. It isn't going to get easier if you can't think in the correct way necessary to pursue CS. If you think that "a year longer" is an okay mindset in your freshman year, you'll be stuck in college a lot longer than five years.
>>
I'm in a similar boat but with the music program. First time I received below %40 on a test and felt shitty. I haven't passed a single test, I do all my homework, practice it, but can't get it in my head. I'm not about to give up but I kinda want to just hurry up and get my F so I'm not stressing about it and can actually work on fixing it for the next semester when I take it.

I'd also like advice in failing classes because fuck it is scary
>>
>>16997377
First of all, was that 0 deserved? There is a slim but real chance that the professor made an error in grading or reporting the grade. Before you make any drastic moves, talk to the professor. Don't argue, just say you were very disappointed with the grade and want advice on what to do now. If there was an error, he'll find and correct it. If you really did deserve the grade, he can give better advice than we can.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.