[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Building 1st (gaming) PC ($1,000~$2,000 AUD)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: specs_a.jpg (110 KB, 1198x1120) Image search: [Google]
specs_a.jpg
110 KB, 1198x1120
[spoiler]Not sure if this is supposed to be on /g/ (or /v/) or not but[/spoiler]

hey /adv/, I'm finally able to up my mustard rice game and have a few questions:

Where do I start in picking the right parts? obv the criteria is something like budget vs performance (also how well part a works with part b) but I don't really have a point of reference.

How can I git gud at this down the line?

Other practical advice?

My mate got his tower (built by his mate) for $1,295 AUD - specs in pic related
How is it?
>>
>>16995486
Nothing wrong with that PC in your pic, though it would be much better for gaming with a 4GB 970 instead of a 2GB 960.
Also skip the gaming keyboard and gaming mouse, get a proper keyboard and mouse, I suggest a logitech mx800 combo.
>>
>>16995486
And if you don't want to build your own, try pccasegear.com and have a look at the systems on there - they're about the best value you'll find for your dollar in a prebuilt in australia.
>>
>>16995537
Thanks but its ok. I'm really interested in learning about my machine and the PC hardware biz in general.

Hmm, how did you get into it yourself?
>>
>>16995558
I grew up with computers, pretty much had them as long as I can remember. I did an IT certificate when I was about 17 but never really worked in a computer field, they're more appealing to me as a hobby, The education was a good foundation though. Mostly I learned by messing around on them at home. You could probably learn a lot of the basics of how they work and what all the different bits do by watching youtube videos. Just do a search for "how a pc works" or something like that to get started, then watch/read about other topics you find interesting.
>>
Another good resource is http://www.logicalincrements.com/newuserguide
At the top of the page is a Guides tab, it has a lot of useful info in there.
>>
>>16995486
>Where do I start in picking the right parts?
PCPartPicker
>How can I git gud at this down the line?
Lurk /g/.
>Other practical advice?
i7's are overkill for just about everything related to vidya.
Don't skimp on the PSU.
Read the manual and follow everything precisely. Double check all connections when you're finished.
Make sure you have the correct socket for both the motherboard and the CPU.
Thoroughly inform yourself on what you want to buy.
>>
>>16995486

Install gentoo
>>
File: liw6ymtuVx1qit92oo1.gif (69 KB, 500x271) Image search: [Google]
liw6ymtuVx1qit92oo1.gif
69 KB, 500x271
>>16995571
mfw never had a garage full of spare parts to tinker with

I should be really pro at this since I'm already taking an IT degree

>>16995601
>i7's are overkill for vidya
does that mean good or unecessary cost?
>>
>>16995614
redpill me on linux when vidya ports are 2nd priority for the most part, if at all.
>>
bump before sleep
>>
>>16995486

If you can spare $100, get a 390x. 970 is a good GPU, but there was a hardware error in which the 970 only uses 3.5 of its RAM instead of the full 4GB. Devs are being giant faggots and are refusing to optimize their games these days.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.