[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to get a real job. Problem is every entry level job expects
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 1438726871927.png (49 KB, 451x485) Image search: [Google]
1438726871927.png
49 KB, 451x485
I want to get a real job. Problem is every entry level job expects me to have experience. First of all, how do they expect me to have experience if I need experience to get experience? I've gone to college 3 years, then spent the last year or so working with my dad getting paid under the table. I'm at the age people expect you to have worked at least 3 or 4 jobs already. Am I fucked for life? Should I just lie on my resume? I've applied for many jobs but none have called back. My dad selfishly makes me come with him because he's getting old, needs the help and just wants someone to talk to. I'm also afraid he will hurt himself one day. He's been getting worse and always dropping things. How am I supposed to live my life when I have to spend it looking after pops?
>>
get an entry level job. do what you fucking can you fag.

care for you family.
I live the same life as you, i still care for my family and work for shit pay, but took what I could get. Look locally and do walk in applications, you can get an interview on the spot.
>>
>>16995467

What do you do for your dad?

>>16995653
Don't listen to this guy on the walk ins, very few companies hire walk ins anymore because they have very little time to vet the applicant, and they all have online hiring, generally looking for specific skill sets. Walking in and handing out paper resumes mostly only works for fast food and mall jobs where just anyone can do it.

Anyways, the real answer is to get an internship. I know it sucks and most don't pay, but it's the only way to do this, and you should have been doing it in college. If possible, maybe you can find a low paying one, but that's not easy.

You need to tell your dad that helping him is causing you to not be able to develop your career. Unless he is dead set on you taking over the family business or whatever it is, he'll probably understand.
>>
>>16995467
I work in HR, so take my word for this.

Job ads and descriptions are wish lists - the imaginary ideal person for the job. Such a person almost never exists, and employers take the best what does apply.

So, if the ad says "2 years experience" it really means "It would be great if you had any experience at all, but if everything else about you is good, we'll drop that."

And why don't you list your work for your father as experience? Give it a name and treat it as a real job - no one need know it was under the table.
>>
>>16995659
He's a self employed electrician. Just finished working a few hours with him
>>16995680
I figured listing my own dad as experience would be suspicious and no one would believe it. I guess I could pretend he isn't my dad?
>>
>>16995467
>Problem is every entry level job expects me to have experience
apply anyways
requirements are more like guidelines, I got an entry level job without experience.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.