[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
University Advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: mds.png (150 KB, 848x1200) Image search: [Google]
mds.png
150 KB, 848x1200
I, like an idiot, only applied to four schools: Rice, Swarthmore, UTAustin and UTDallas. I was rejected from Rice and Swarthmore, was accepted into Austin with no scholarships, and got a full ride to UTD.

I want to become pic related. Would going to UTAustin be worth the extra cash over time? Also, what degree course is best? I'm currently thinking about comp sci bachelor's and statistics masters.
>>
I can't answer your question because I don't know anything about these schools.

I will say this though, with education, you get back what you put in. So knowing that, which school has the "better" professors and environment for your learning experience?
>>
>>16995376
UTAustin is typically thought of as having better professors and an overall better education, a lot of people call it the Ivy League of public schools. On the other hand, it is very much a party school: lots of drugs, free Iove, weird Austin stuff. It would also cost me about $25,000 to attend.

UTD has an environment that is a bit more academically focused, due to not having a football team and small Greek life presence. I visited both campuses and UTD has just as nice facilities, and better housing. No clue on the professors though, and graduates tend to make less that UT Austin graduates according to PayScale.
>>
>>16995413
Is it possible to find out what professors teach at both schools and compare their credentials?

As far as how much money you make, that will be completely about networking and job opportunities. The other school probably has a better reputation, because at some point a lot of people said that it was a better school; which lead to a lot of other factors ("better" professors, increased budget due to higher influx of applicants etc. etc.)

If you're doing this major for the money, go to the school that will get you the better paying job. If you're doing this because you really like it and would like to make a living off of it, go to the school that will give you the better education.
If you're doing this because you live in a society that demands a degree, go to the school that is the cheapest.
>>
>>16995369
Grab Dallas. Whatever small increase in prestige Austin may have (and that is not certain), you can get a good education anywhere. And not being in six figures of debt when you graduate outweighs everything. (And if Dallas proves worthless, you can ride its scholarship for the first couple of years of mainly requirements and gen ed courses and then transfer elsewhere).
>>
>>16995421
>>16995709

Yeah... I think I'm going to go to Dallas, for those reasons as well as several people telling me that the "prestige" didn't matter that much. Thanks for the advice.
>>
Austin is the flagship but consider that the smartest people are going there, so when it comes to distinguishing yourself for grad school, it's more competitive. However there are probably more research opportunities at Austin. At Dallas you'd be a bigger fish in a smaller pond.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.