[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
job interviews take weird turns?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 1426396412229.jpg (49 KB, 600x526) Image search: [Google]
1426396412229.jpg
49 KB, 600x526
so all throughout school ive been taught to be formal, have good rapport, ask questions, etc etc be respectful during job interviews

i generally do well in job interviews but ive noticed one thing: a lot of times they turn to very casual and friendly conversations instead of dry and formal interviews

for example i had an interview with a really qt lab manager, and at one point we started talking about research while we were both in school and had a friendly banter about schools and lab work and stuff, completely separate from the interview itself

a similar thing happened with another woman who was interviewing for an auditing position, we started taling about things tangetially related to the position, but not about the position. this went on for quite a while.

this has happened before with other male bosses too. im not a charmer at all.

anyway is this a good thing or bad thing? most of these were really small companies. should i keep doing what im doing when applying for future, larger companies?
>>
>>16994715

if you pay attention you'd notice you didnt have much of a choice. they ask questions. you respond. you can put down personal tidbits but they are generally the ones who control the flow and let you elaborate on things if they so choose.

you go in formal, but if they open up to personal and genuinely seem interested / ask more its a godo thing.

people hire people they get along with. people they think would be a fun addition to the work place. especially small ones where they know everyone but even bigger companies the guy doing the hiring will give you extra points for being relatable.
>>
>>16994728
>people hire people they get along with. people they think would be a fun addition to the work place. especially small ones where they know everyone but even bigger companies the guy doing the hiring will give you extra points for being relatable.
This. If you get to the interview stage, they know that you can do the job. They're just finding out how well you'll fit in
>>
>>16994715
I'm an HR person in a big corporation.

You don't realize that they already have some idea of your professional qualifications from your resume and education. A BIG part of the interview is to discover whether you're "our sort of person" - whether you'll fit in with the company culture and way of doing things. To put it baldly, whether we'll be able to stand having you at the next desk every day.

So those weren't digressions, and the fact that you and the interviewers got along casually is a big plus for you in the process.
>>
>>16994914
Not OP, but this is a super enlightening post. Thanks.
>>
>>16994715
>have good rapport
Sounds like you're building rapport with them.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.