[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I almost got fired from my job yesterday. It scared me shitless
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
I almost got fired from my job yesterday. It scared me shitless at the prospect of potentially finding new work.
But then I need the references for a new job, right?
Regardless of whether get fired eventually or quit before I'm fired, providing I didn't burn any bridges, would I be able to get a reference that simply states my start and end dates and not the reason so I don't scare off future employers?
>>
>>16992400
Also has anyone had any experience with quitting/getting fired? How shitty does it make you feel? How does it affect your job prospects?
>>
>>16992400
When I applied for the current job I'm in, they wanted my previous employer's email address so that they could ask 'a few questions'. Yeah. Fortunately I left my previous company on good terms.

A good reference is worth its weight in gold.

Also being fired sucks. I was fired from a burger flipping job for being slow at flipping burgers (I'm terrible in the kitchen, don't judge) Got a much better job now so it worked out. Took a while though.
>>
>>16992648
so then someone is still screwed if one of the questions in your example was "how well did he work?" and the answer was "he didn't perform as quickly as we wanted"?

I don't think I want to work in catering again.
>>
>>16992708
The thing about references is there's very little they can legally say negatively about you; especially when dealing with corporations because they're pretty tight lipped about saying bad things so they don't get sued. There are actually legal standards for what you can and can not ask a previous employer too.

Usually a bad reference ends up just being brief and vague.
>>
>>16992731
This. The worst reference someone usually give a is "he worked from blank to blank, then we let him go."
>>
>>16992731
>especially when dealing with corporations because they're pretty tight lipped about saying bad things so they don't get sued
See I thought that was a rumour because the former employer would want to possibly save the new employer some stress by warning them about a shit employee.
>>
>>16992708
Oh, is your current job catering? Don't bother giving that as a reference then. Just state that the time you were there instead claim you were studying part time, and make up some BS. Companies love trying to find out if there's any gaps (periods of unemployment) in your work or study, even if it's none of their fucking business.
>>
>>16992885
I never had any issue getting into that job with the time gap I had between my previous job. I think they're a lot more impressed with honesty. I literally said I wanted the job so I could earn money and nailed it.
>>
>>16992750
Doesn't that make professional references kind of pointless?
>>
>>16992939
they're not set up to help worthless fuckups.
>>
>>16992902
Also I have references from some managers I know from voluntering I consider more valuable than some 9-5 catering joint.
>>
>>16992947
You missed my point. If previous employers can't legally say anything negative about an ex-employee, what is the point of having such references other than as verification that the person had previously worked there?
>>
>>16993002
That would presumably be the point. If they actually write a letter to state you worked there, it stops you trying to bullshit that you worked in a top london bank or whatever. You could say you worked for some company and then they could check and find out you didn't.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.