[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I fucked up by getting good at writing and english in high school
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: spoder.jpg (20 KB, 469x359) Image search: [Google]
spoder.jpg
20 KB, 469x359
I fucked up by getting good at writing and english in high school instead of science and math.

Whats are some arts and writing majors that will actually get me a job? (not journalism)
>>
editorial
>>
With arts (don't know too much about writing but I imagine it really isn't that much different), a degree will be basically useless. A portfolio is what you need. Classes can definitely help, but if you have enough self discipline, a lot of education in such fields can be already found online. Wanna be a fiction writer? Write some damn fiction and send it to publishers.
You basically have to just actually start doing whatever it is you want to do and get yourself noticed.
>>
Whats wrong with journalism? You dont have to cover politics like many people think. There are all kinds of forms of journalism. Im personally getting into sports writing.
>>
>>16991558
>Whats are some arts and writing majors that will actually get me a job? (not journalism)
You wanted a job. This is probably the cleanest path, though marketing can also work. I'm not sure what kind of major one takes to be a copy-editor, but that's also a good path.
>>
>>16991577
No jobs in 10 years
>>
>>16991558
>No jobs in 10 years
bullshit. no newspapers in 10 years, maybe, but everyone who's smart has moved to digital.
>>
>>16991618
meant for
>>16991585
>>
>>16991618
Yeah but they wont be needed as much when they all move to digital, more people who knows how to run a website and fix layouts for the comercials will be needed
>>
>>16991637
>more people who knows how to run a website and fix layouts for the comercials will be needed
Do you think that's a skill that takes more than a month to master?
>>
>>16991640
I mean yeah, its not that hard making up a bullshit story about something happening thats good enough to put up on a website. But thats just my opinion
>>
>>16991652
No job is particularly hard if you're motivated to learn it. I think your problem is not that there are no jobs but that you aren't motivated enough to get one. Fear of failure maybe I dunno.
>>
>>16991662
Yeah that sounds more correct. Thanks
>>
>>16991665
I didn't mean to sound judgmental, I'm just speaking from experience. I am technically a journalist but a lot of my job involves just knowing where to put shit.
>>
>>16991676
Yeah i get that, i was really just assuming stuff. Om not experienced at all in the journalism area so i'll rather take your word for it
>>
>>16991558
I am interest in this thread as well because I was a super star with words in high school and college but then had to take a math-based job during the recession.

Just because you're "good" with words doesn't mean you're limited to only word careers. The world is not black and white like school makes it seem. You should pick something you want to do and then start working towards getting that job.

For example, I work in banking. I saw an ad in the paper to find the job. A lot of people don't even check the paper anymore; they rely on internet based searching. Because I checked the newspaper, which is the only place they advertised it, I was able to sneak in there. So think outside the box on stuff - be proactive - call businesses where you want to work up on the phone and ask them what kind of skills you need to have to work at their company because you really like their company.

Then get those skills via online classes, books from the library, software that you could buy or pirate, etc. Again, be proactive. You can learn new skills Anon.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.