[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Career path choice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3
File: vb.gif (206 KB, 210x224) Image search: [Google]
vb.gif
206 KB, 210x224
Hey anons, Australian here finishing up a time-killing uni course, and not sure which way to go with my studies next. I've got three options I like the best so far.

>3D model design (Sketchup and Hammer).
I'm iffy about it because I'm not sure I'll be able to find jobs for it in Australia and support myself with as a "real job". It is something I enjoy doing though.
>Teaching
Sounds kind of cool, and i can work with kids well, but it sort of seems like there's a surplus of teachers here. Also I am worried about how easily kiddie fiddler accusations are thrown at male teachers by vindictive parents or students, and about dealing with little shit outliers.
>Lawyer
I dislike the sound of lots of paperwork, I'm bad with deadlines, and I hear that robots are taking over a lot of the non-courtroom jobs now. But my reading and typing skills are excellent, I've already done a Law unit in my current uni course, and money would not be a problem.

Which one will make me want to kill myself the least, have the most job security, and be easiest to get a job in? Is there anyone here with experience in said fields?
>>
Teaching is a rather daunting prospect my man. You're spot on with accusations or concerns of pedophilia directed at male teachers and males in schools. Depending on the level you would teach, the children are either assholes on purposes or assholes because that's what kids are. It's pays fairly well if you manage money properly. Female teachers vastly outnumber male teachers which does somewhat work in your favor as in my experience good male teachers are rather sought after, which could improve your job prospects.

If you're interested in teaching I would suggest trying to find some work in a school as a teacher aide or volunteer to get the feel for how things would operate, being spending money on any degree.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1453590308189.jpg (32 KB, 429x473) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1453590308189.jpg
32 KB, 429x473
Could do both law and teaching. Become a law teacher to unis or year 11 and 12 students.

But hey, congrats anon. At least you have some idea what you want to do for your career.
>>
File: livingthedream.gif (760 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
livingthedream.gif
760 KB, 500x250
>>16991476

first off, you should always go with something you actually enjoy
do you really want to spend the majority of your life doing something you don't like? sounds like a soul crushing existence

I work in post production and good 3D modelers are always in demand. the fact that you're in Australia doesn't matter because you can freelance remotely from anywhere really. sometimes we hire people who live in Brazil or India
my advice is switch to a more practical 3D software like Maya or C4D and start building a portfolio
>>
The 3D modelling sounds more vocational. I won't go there unless it is what you really want to do because it takes a lot of time to stand out.

Law is the safest option but you don't seem to like it.

With all the info you give I would go for teaching and maybe move somewhere else were teachers are needed, for example, Chile. Even if sounds scary, teachers are well paid in some unusual countries.
>>
>>16991530
>>16991527
>>16991509
>>16991495
Based anons, thanks. I'm sort of veering away from law, but that's what my family expects based on what I've said before, and job security is also important to me.

What's C4D?

I'm a bit afraid of international travel, I'd like to do it eventually, but I'm broke living partially on odd jobs and government money and the amount of jobs available in Australia is at an all time low at the moment, so not sure how I'd finance it
>>
>>16991548

> I'm a bit afraid of international travel
You are right, you need a fair amount of savings to settle outside. Regardless of what you choose, your university may help you with international programmes, financing your travels and giving you experience from outside. You just have investigate about this programmes, something which a lot of people never do.
>>
>>16991576
You make a good point anon, I hadn't considered in-uni programs, that might be something

I would like to go to Europe kinda, Iunno, I wouldn't really want to live abroad too long though [spoiler]because I have to take care of my little sister when she leaves home[/spoiler]
>>
>>16991584
Europe has pretty good international schools all over eager to get native english speakers.

Not so sure about 3D modellers. Game industry is definetely growing up here, but slowly.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.