[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
speech therapy - talk about your lisps and speech problems
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: wikishit.jpg (59 KB, 670x376) Image search: [Google]
wikishit.jpg
59 KB, 670x376
I have a very unorthodox lisp. I have trouble pronouncing 'j' sounds like 'jay', 'jeans', etc. Can't find any worthwhile information on curing lisps so I was just wondering if anyone has any tips and whether or not I should go see a speech therapist. It was only pointed out to me at 14 and by that point I felt like I was too old to go to a speech therapist. I'm 20 now and I'm just starting a job for the first time and I'm starting to become a lot more self-aware of it.

More detailed description -it's like the 'jay' sound gets caught in my right-back teeth. 'Jack' sounds more like 'Kchyack' and it sounds fucking awful when I record myself. My family claims to not notice any lisp at all, but my friends do.
>>
I should add that I have a VERY slight underbite. Had the option of doing something about it but I actually thought it looked kinda handsome, but if it's causing my lisp it has to go.
>>
>>16991252
The underbite might actually be it. I tried it out and I've got a bit of a harder time with J's when I put my jaw forward.

Otherwise you could try speaking while biting onto a pencil. It's a trick my French teacher made us so to help get rid of our accents. Irs supposed to make the mouth and tongue shapes easier since you end up over-pronouncing everything with the pencil in your mouth.
>>
>>16991276
damn. I'll have to start wearing a retainer again I guess. Thanks for the reply.
>>
How often people make fun of speech problems? I have trouble pronouncing "r"-letter, but no-one has ever made fun of that. People usually insult my nationality or my shyness or use physical violence, but never my speech problem. My parents and my friend says that they never noticed it, but I know I have it, even one of my professors have told me so. I don't understand this, you'd think speech problem would be an easy target for bullies.
>>
Just tagging on to this, I've had a problem pronouncing the soft th sound in words like three or thorn, which I've managed to improve on, but I still struggle on words where the th sound is at the end - like month or depth. Any advice?
>>
My voice is very weak and creaky-sounding, and sometimes words come out jumbled. It's probably just my social anxiety, yes, but how 2 get rid of it? My throat feels like it constricts every time I open my mouth.
>>
>>16991419
I know a guy who's really confident and kind of an asshole, but very good with people. He can't roll his R's and sounds kind of weird if you think about it, but nobody seems to care at all.
>>
I spit alot when I speak (due to braces), have a dramatic overbite which will hopefully be fixed within a couple more months, but I have this other weird problem. Like, I feel my voice is very thick and gets stuck in my throat sometimes, its hard to explain. I'm just very hard to understand while talking.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.