[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Spanish in Spain
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: spanish notebook.jpg (295 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
spanish notebook.jpg
295 KB, 1280x853
I will be going to Spain for a month during July. I've only been learning Spanish for a while so my Spanish is not very good. My current level of Spanish is probably a bit below A2 (with grammatical and spelling errors) and my speaking and listening skills are not very good.

Will I be able to get around in Spain with my level of Spanish? I will also stay with a host family for two weeks and from what I've heard some host families do not speak English at all. Is it not realistic of me to hope to befriend a family that does not speak English?
>>
you will be fine just get a picture book/translate on phone in case there's a real issue and you need to communicate something
>>
>>16990811
I really want to be able to communicate with the locals without Google Translate
>>
You will be OK. There are English speakers in Spain
>>
You could get around Spain even if you willfully refused to acknowledge that Spanish was a legitimate language.

Do you find it hard to get around most cities without speaking to someone?
>>
>>16990853
No, but I really want to practice my Spanish.
>>
>>16990719
I can help you if you need someone to practice with.
>>
I have no idea what the fuck "A2" means.

As someone who is learning French right now, why wait until you get there? Listen to spanish music, watch spanish movies, read spanish news.

Some people will switch to english, but if you are competent enough just hack away in spanish and hope they switch back to spanish.
>>
>>16991411
A2 in terms of CEFR
>>
>>16992032
Actual Spaniard here.

I don't really know how much you can actually speak with an A2 level. What do you want to do, just be able to live nicely with that host family? Do you want to befriend random Spanish people?

You'll probably have some problems but we understand broken Spanish pretty well. Not like other languages, in which if you fuck up even the slightest they won't understand shit, for whatever reason in Spanish we can fill in the gaps that you could miss when speaking

One thing that I'll tell you, is that you might see people laugh at your mistakes, or make comments between themselves about what you just said. Don't take it as something extremely personal, it's just that when listening to a foreigner try to speak Spanish we often look at them like it's "cute", but don't get demoralized. You might meet some younger people trying to make fun of you and trying to teach you to say retarded stuff, but there's jackasses everywhere

At least in my city, the general English level seem to be fucking bad, you can't expect much more than very basic English in shops and restaurant. And I don't know if those host families actually do some effort and learn English, but you could safely expect them to know near to nothing.

Idk if I'm really helping, because I'm not sure what your question/problem is. Try to speak as much Spanish as you want, tell them to tell your mistakes and to speak properly if you want (because a lot of times with foreigners we'll just say you're speaking really nice even if you're doing primary school mistakes, and we'd speak to you in really broken Spanish just to ease the communication)

To which part of Spain are you coming?
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.