[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I stick to a diet ? I want to quit being a lard ass but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 2
File: 1459551827376-r9k.png (155 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1459551827376-r9k.png
155 KB, 500x500
How do I stick to a diet ?
I want to quit being a lard ass but damn food is amazing and I usually end up quitting a week or so in .
>>
Find one or two foods which fit into your diet that you absolutely love. Then eat them basically nonstop until you grow totally sick of them. It'll take a lot longer than a week for that to happen.
>>
Eat smaller portions in general (but eat more frequently with healthier foods) and don't stop eating your favourite high-calorie foods entirely. Just cut down on them, eat less of them at a time, and less often during the week. Drink plenty of water. Should also pair diet with exercise for best results.
>>
>>16987977
Seems counter intuitive . I want to lose weight . Plus I think I'll just find alternative foods . Also if I'm fat doesn't that Mean I love munching down anyway
>>
>>16987962
Figure out how much food you need, buy it, and then spend all of your money on other things.
This way you can't buy more food, and are forced to stick to your diet.
>>
>>16988008
1. Savings accounts I can easily access
2. I'm in high school with my parents. So I don't pay for food.
>>
There are a lot less diet restrictions if you do a bit of exercise behing.
The most important things to cut however are sweets, fat snacks and sodas. I haven't done exercise for years and move very little, but I have a reasonable weight because I drink water and eat almonds or similar shit whenever I'm hungry outside of dinner hours. At dinner, eat anything you want until you're not hungry anymore, but with vegetables on the side (but don't be retarded and eat a pizza every day)

>>16988017
If your parents are not big snack consumers, you can outright ask them not to buy that kind of thing because you're going for a diet.
>>
>>16988002
This isn't very complicated. When I was dieting I cut starchy foods because I would each too much of them. However, I happen to also love the shit out of fish and baby spinach. Those obviously fit into a starch-free diet.

So what I did was eat tons of seafood and spinach salad day after day. I had no trouble keeping to my diet because every single meal had some of my favorite foods. Eventually I incorporated other foods but it was never difficult to stick to the plan. Eating fewer calories and avoiding a starch binge was natural.

Seriously this is a pretty simple idea. I hope the example has made it clearer.
>>
>>16987962
You figure out your Basal Metabolic Rate, multiply it by 1.3, and then subtract 500 from that number. Then you count your calories, accept that you won't always be perfect, and move around more. An hour of real lifting in the gym is going to be at least 300 extra calories you get to eat. Running? You'll burn in the neighborhood of 10 calories a minute from jogging. Eat more often, increase your protein intake to a gram per pound of lean body mass, and fucking do it.

Its a journey, but you got this.
>>
>>16987962
Go to /fit/, hide all threads except the ones they make fun of fat people. If that doesn't give you motivation, nothing else will.

Also, do not forget you have only ONE life and you already lost 10 years of it for being so fat and disgusting.
>>
>>16988053
Don't listen to this dirty little cunt. If you do this for other people you'll fail because other people don't fucking matter. Do this for yourself, because its what you want, because its who you want to be. Hoping someone likes you naked isn't going to get you through that last round of Tabata or the sixth set of deadlifts when you feel like you're going to die, the judgements of others won't get you back on your feet and working after you've vomited from a hard workout, no amount of praise will keep you running through blood and blisters. Only you can do that.
>>
>>16988053
While I agree this is bad .
>>16988092
I don't really like the "die trying "mentality. Whenever I try my hardest to do/not do something I usually end up failing / giving in quickly. So that wouldn't work for me.
I just want to try and get a qt gf, can't do that being 300 lb and 6'3
>>
I (>>16988053) , for one, lost 18kg on five months doing just that. I used to be lonely, depressive and unhealthy, and now I'm slim, I wear small size, have a gf, do not get sick at the same rate I used to and pretty much it worked out for me.

Or you can follow this cunt (>>16988092) advice there and make a tumblr account, start smashing scales on streets, make fat acceptance protests and die at the age of 38.

Your choice, OP.
>>
Kel right now my family is asking me to go to rallys . I'm not getting anything , but this is a common occurrence .
>>
>>16988100
I'm 6'1" and was over 300 at my heaviest. In the last 3 years I've seen myself get down to 235 with diet (calorie counting based on a BMR and a 500 cal deficit) and then back up to the low 260s while still reducing body fat. I'm cutting right now and my daily calorie intake is like 2900 calories.

I'm not telling you to go balls out right away, but you need to start and you need to do it for you. As you lose weight, as you feel better, as you see what your body could be I'm sure you'll want more. For right now, though, everything is going to be hard until you break through.

My advice: do the math on your basal metabolic rate and eat the whole BMRx1.3 that you need for maintenance. Pair that with a 3 mile walk every day. Skip if you're in too much pain, but try to maintain at last 3-4 a week and ramp up from there. That will net you a little over a pound a week in weight loss. As time goes on, maybe add a couple of longer walks (4-5 miles) or a short run. Once you start to feel up to it, hit the gym a couple or three times a week and just work on building some muscle.

>>16988103
Fat acceptance, like self improvement for others, is for failures. I was a fat guy when I got married, I was a fat guy when I had my first threesome, I was a fat guy when I earned my doctorate. I was sick all the time and it fucking sucked. I'm all for losing weight and getting healthy, but it needs to be for you. Otherwise you're just an insecure kid in high school hoping the popular kids won't pick on you.
>>
>>16987962
only make dietary changes that you can sustain for basically the rest of your life. otherwise the weight will all come back as soon as you stop dieting.

so change one thing at a time. that one thing might be making sure you get a serving of vegetables at every meal, or only having sugary things once a week, or committing yourself to not taking second helpings, or whatever. just do that one change for a month or two, then add another one, and another one.

yes it's slower than a "diet" but you will actually have a better chance of keeping the weight off.

honestly I should be taking my own advice, I'm fat too. but I have had more success with the above than with trying to stick to a fad diet or a drastic weight-loss regimen.
>>
File: kill self.jpg (81 KB, 712x528) Image search: [Google]
kill self.jpg
81 KB, 712x528
>>16988129
>it needs to be you
So, you are against the concept of losing weight under people telling you "being fat is bad", but you are okay when it is you who finally realises "being fat is bad" many years later?
>>
>>16988144
Yes. External motivation is neither sustainable nor especially worthy as a lifestyle. You can always lie to someone else, you can always cheat, you can always stop caring what they think and all of those things become easy when life becomes difficult.
>>
self-control to a large extent, but also making smart decisions.

This is probably hard because you're not in control of your own food portion living at home, but when you go out and live on your own what you should do is make all your smart choices at the grocery store - buy only healthy food. Then when you're at home and you're like "fuck I'm starving", the only option you have is veggies and beans (or whatever). Basically, I'm pitting my laziness against my gluttony cuz I don't want to go out to the store and get unhealthy food. It works, that's how I went from being a fat fuck in HS to being fit (and fucking hot girls) when I left home anyways.

Also, more exercise. More muscle mass = higher base metabolic rate (burn more passive calories every day)
>>
>>16988152
Mate, lad, my famiglia, that's you. That's just you. You are a special snowflake who can ignore what people say.

Everyone else get their kicks from public opinion, and, who doesn't, end up writing blogs and fighting for bullshit rights.
>>
>>16987962
ive determined what i need to do in order to lose weight. If i eat at a 1000 calorie deficit for 10ish months ill be very close to the ideal weight i want.
Ive had periods where ive managed to stop drining sodas, but they lasted for 3-4 months before i just kinda went "fuck it" and went back to it. Not even any temptation, just decided to start drinking it again.
Also when it comes to veggies and shit, getting my parents to cook food on a regular basis is hard. I guess ill need to start getting my own food?
>>
>>16988252
Cooking your own food can work on two fronts:
>the one you'll be able to cook whatever you need and want, so you won't eat undesired food so often
>if you cook for shit, you'll eat less because there will be a shortage of food
>>
>>16988288
only issue i see is me getting bored and cooking and eating for fun
But since im on a limited budget anyway, maybe that won't be the case?
>>
>>16988300
Drink water.
>>
>>16988317
i try and do that, and i can pretty good about it. It just tastes bland as fuck and when your family buys 3-5 2liters a day worth of soda its hard to resist the temptation.
Also, i work fast food and we usually have food left over sometime, takes alot of temptation to resist that and getting free soda.
>>
>>16988330
Then that's bad. When I lost my weight, I could ask my mother to make juice the way I liked (as cold as possible with zero sugar) so it worked wonders to me. I also never liked soda, and always felt guilt after drinking it, but I couldn't lay off pizzas once a week with me mates.

Also, how's your physical activity?
>>
>>16988334
i have a weight lifting class , so i get some basic rudientary excersize a day from that. And from the step counter i have on my phone, i apparently burn 2-400 calories a day from just basic walking back and forth?
Also, i plan to get a gym membership and lift outside of school as well. my goals are
Bench :300
Squat:400
Deadlift:500
im basically halfway there for all of em. so having a smaller gut

The only issue i forsee with my plan is the summer, ill be working 14 hours a day almost and i don't realisically think i can drag my tired ass to the gym during that.

i wanted to start jogging, issue is i 1. now live in a shitty part of town and 2. just couldn't get my ass up early enough to do it, honestly.
i started before, stopped for some reason i don't remember .
>>
>>16988347
Forget those calories you burn by doing whatever you did regularly on your life. If you can't jog, get a rope and go jumping.

Also, ditch elevators and stuff like that and always go for the longest way around, and by using stairs. Changing behaviours is quite important aswell
>>
Hey OP let me share with you whats working for me.

The website myfitnesspal really helps alot and my doctor showed me this. It only takes about 5 minutes out of your day and you can make sure you're eating enough to lose weight on it. It does almost everything for you.

My weightloss is majorly attributed to the use of that website.

The next thing you want to do is look up what obesity does to the body and the things it puts you at risk for developing. Have that information in easy reach and make a habit to look at it whenever you feel tempted. When you're forced to consider what obesity is doing to you that helps with the temptations.

Making meals that are extremely filling really helps with hunger cravings. Get something that just wrecks your hunger and makes you feel fine and eat that. You'll want to spend some time researching meals you can make that are

1. Easy to make
2. Tastes good
3. Mostly or all healthy

If you have those meals to turn to then its really easy to make those meals each day. Weightloss isn't hard when i'm "Forced" to eat a chocolate protein shake milkshake and a juicy turkey burger. It is hard when i'm forced to eat food that tastes bad or not very good.

If you end up caving on your food, notice how you feel after you eat it. For me junkfood makes me feel worse. My energy goes down and my mood worsens. If you start noticing you'll feel that way if you eat junkfood you're less likely to want it.
>>
>>16988386
>Making meals that are extremely filling really helps with hunger cravings.
Do you really think that's actually good? I'd rather having the mind of eating until you are good (not until you are full) every three or two hours to speed up your metabolism and giving signs to your brain you need less food to survive.
>>
>>16988370
Jump rope in intervals for 20 + minutes. It's like sprinting. Does wonders.
>>
>>16988400
I'm a fatty with man Tittys and I can't do that In my home . I feel like an idiot jumping rope.
>>
>>16988407
Let's address that: why can't you do it at home?
Also, I'm the best among my running friends at jumping rope and I hate when they film it and show me afterwards. Don't trust yourself when it comes to judge your own jumping; and bear in mind you won't be able to improve if you don't practice.

>>16988400
>fucked up the quoting twice
I do that daily, but then again, my goal is just to reach 58kg by the end of the year.
You should address that to OP.

By the way, are you capable of doing double and triple skips? Even my brother (who is an professional athlete trainer) taught me the tempo of it but I never seem to get it.
>>
Cut out soft drinks/candy/really bad junk food and replace with sugar free versions and learn how to cook.

Go for a walk every day.

Basic portion control.

If you can't even do that you're fucked. All you have to do is not eat too many calories. I can't comprehend how an adult man would struggle with this too much. You can eat like 2,000 calories a day and not gain weight.

You're not even going to go hungry and you can still eat tasty good.
>>
>>16988412
I'm a big man in a quiet house full of people. My family will ask me to stop or make fun of me
>>
>>16988422
Loud floors? Jump outside on a smooth yet hard floor. Don't forget to wear proper shoes, like running ones, so you don't fuck up your bones, ligaments and specially your knees.
>>
>>16988428
Then I have the issue of being an idiot outside . Couldn't I just lift and watch what I eat ?
>>
>>16988444
Lifting does a thing, cardio does another. You don't want one or another, you want both.

You'll have to sacrifice a little to experience gains. You gotta practice 31 days a month and then practice again.
>>
>>16988444
By the way, I'm not sure if I'm breaking any rules here but I'd love if you kept a blog about your progress and what you do.
>>
>>16988449
What do you mean by this practice stuff ? Also , what do I lose by not sing Cardio?
>>
>>16988459
It's to keep in mind that gains don't come suddenly, but as an continuous effort and sheer dedication.
>>
>>16988458
Realistically ? No. Sorry
I won't keep to it , honestly
>>
you dont even have to quit delicious food
just run nigga
you do need to quit sweets, that shit is cancer
>>
By the way, healthy food can be delicious. Look it up, give it a chance.
>>
>>16988459
If you're doing a good weight training session you'll burn almost as many calories as cardio in that same time frame. Weight training though has more effect on your bodies for overall weight loss in terms of increasing metabolism and other factors plus you're building muscle. That's the jest of it.

If you want to make cardio work better than weight training you'd have to do it for a longer session. Which for someone trying to lose weight is going to be more difficult. Don't buy into that "do u even lift bro". If you want to solely do cardio for weight loss you can but you'll have to work harder.

Personally I do both. I jog for an hour on my off days, and I lift for on hour on weight days. Jogging for me increases my overall endurance for weight days and in general. Plus it just helps burn calories. I'm not trying to bulk. I'm already pretty lean and prefer it that way.
>>
>>16988481
The issue isn't I can't eat healthy food . I just love eating in general . Anything , really.
>>
>>16988466
Yeah, not with that attitude. Unwatching this thread, you want to be helpless anyway.
>>
>>16988490
I just don't want to start some blog . That'd all , jeez.
>>
>>16988393
I'm not sure to be honest. I definitely don't mean over stuffing yourself. Just foods that are a little heavier on the stomach like oatmeal or something.

The problem I ran into with spreading the meals out was that the meals wouldn't be filling enough. So i'd stay hungry the whole day. I'd rather have the hunger cravings in check than optimizing the metabolism if I had to choose.

And my weight was coming off steadily and regularly without having to worry about using meals to optimize my metabolism
>>
Honestly this whole diet thing seems hard and impossible
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.