[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm in nursing school. I have very bad test anxiety when
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1459546194206.jpg (255 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1459546194206.jpg
255 KB, 1024x768
I'm in nursing school. I have very bad test anxiety when it comes to the skills tests. Written tests I do fine on, usually get 85%+ and don't get anxious for them. But the skills tests, no matter how much I practice I get freaked the fuck out. I can't handle somebody scrutinizing every movement I take and word I say to a lifeless dummy. I know the material and everything I should do, but when I'm on the spot I freeze and forget everything. I'm fine with real patients, too. I don't freak out, and can talk to them pretty easily. I can't talk to these plastic people I get so embarrassed. How do I get better at this?
>>
You probably shouldn't be a nurse
>>
>>16985883
thanks for your thoughtful reply and helpful advice
>>
If you want this career badly enough, then you have to push through it and make it work. Find it within yourself to overcome your anxiety and just keep practicing.
>>
what's up OP i'm in nursing school too!! how far along are you?? i'm close to my last semester and working in simulations where we get observed and work with a mannequin still make me nervous

i think it's a situation where there's not really a quick or easy fix to it.. tell me more about your skills tests, is it like a thing where the teacher is hovering over you watching you or is it done from one of those two way mirrors? depending on which i might have a few tips that can help
>>
>>16985945
2nd semester, we just tested a few days ago. they don't use the mirrors like that, they kind of hover over us and ask us questions.
>>
>>16985794
If you're this bad under pressure how are you ever gonna make it when people's lives are in your hands?
>>
>>16986082
Exactly my thoughts, OP should just be a lab tech or some shit
>>
>>16985794

>i wanna be relied on to stop people from dying when they go into cardiac arrest
>but i get anxiety from taking tests
>>
>>16986164
Technically once they go into an arrest they already are dead.
>>
>>16986176

only cuz you had too much anxiety to save them.
>>
>>16985794
O? Is that you?
>>
>>16985794
Freak yourself out before. It has always worked for me. Or actually talk to others around you more so you feel comfortabld
>>
>>16986072
nursing school anon from the previous post here! yeah, those kinds of skill tests are the worst. do you have any opportunities to build up relationships with those instructors outside of tests? i found that the better i was acquainted with them, the easier it was to test with them. it helps to lighten the atmosphere as well.

also, don't listen to the other anons who have probably never been in this position in their life, nor will they ever be. the anxiety from testing is nothing like working with real patients. everyone, even nurses who are working now, can tell you that. if you're still around OP, i can set up a dummy email and we can talk more! just let me know.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.