[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to be in a good relationship if you are mentally
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: 25546757897589.jpg (44 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
25546757897589.jpg
44 KB, 500x375
Is it possible to be in a good relationship if you are mentally ill (depression, Bipolar...).
>>
Only if it's under consistent and effective treatment.
>>
>>16985604
No. Now quit fucking around on this website and solve those problems before you worry about muh gf
>>
>>16985610
I am using treatment through a psychologist.

>>16985611
Nice if you could give some suggestions. Fucking around 4chan is not fun at all.
>>
>>16985604

Work on yourself first. Everything else comes after.

I just got diagnosed with biploar ii and panic disorder.

Wouldn't wish this shit on the people I hate, least of all someone I care about.

If you're struggling with what you feel may be legitimate signs of some kind of mental illness, consult a professional. Don't diagnose yourself on the internet.

Hang in there, it gets better.
>>
>>16985604
I was diagnosed bipolar as a teen and went through 7 years of therapy. Only to get to a deeper root that I was not bipolar, but suffering the effects of PTSD and severe anxiety that occasionally gave me psychosis.

I still have some anxiety symptoms, but most are manageable through methods I learned in therapy.

Been in a functioning six-year relationship. It's doable, but you have to take care of yourself. Your significant other is not supposed to save you. Never view other people as your savior. You want to enjoy your SO and let them enjoy you, functioning at your best. Mental illness is something that you have to tackle on your own. Don't view that as loneliness, view it as empowering.
>>
>>16985627
Are you sticking to your appointments and doing all of the stuff that your psych suggests/prescribes? Have your issues improved during that time?
>>
>>16985627
Fucking around like going to the pyschologist .
Unless your issues are genetic , and you're still fucked up right now , that guy is just wasting your money . If you haven't gotten any better , why fuck around with them ???
Hell I could probably diagnose and help you better with one in depth and full conversation then those fuckers and do it for free too.
>>
File: 1437848083290.jpg (56 KB, 335x245) Image search: [Google]
1437848083290.jpg
56 KB, 335x245
Depends on the illness. If you have a personality disorder or schizophrenia, you can probably forget it unless you're exceptionally stable.
>mfw BPD and god I need a boyfriend
>>
>>16985636
Yeah. it has certainly improved. However I still have a lot to go. I still have extreme highs and lows. When with friends and happy theres always something that haunts me by my side. One of the things I go through every day.

>>16985639
What are you trying to convey here? Even if you could do better than other psychologists and do it free you don't seem to be helping. If you could deliver then please do so in this thread.
If this is b8 I have taken it.
>>
>>16985686
If it's consistent and constructive, you've got a shot. It really comes down to whether 1) you can see a light at the end of this tunnel and 2) the people with whom you want relationships can see it too.
>>
>>16985696
(And try to understand that if people in your life lose sight of that hope, it's not that they've lost confidence in you. They just don't want an uncertain future any more than you do.)
>>
I would say it is possible as long as you are open and honest about it and take care of yourself. Don't be afraid to say what you need either.

I dated a guy with bipolar 2. Sometimes he would need to be alone but not tell me and I would stick around and things would feel awkward, I never knew why until he finally revealed this. Don't do that to your partner. Do what keeps you mentally and emotionally healthy.
>>
>>16985700
I have not said this but the biggest barrier for me is that initially I would be like a great person to hang out with. Later on I would be unstable; I would be either very happy, mute, and sad. This is probably the red flag and perhaps the reason why I put up this thread.
>>
No, Bi-Polar people are destroyers of everything good in relationships. You will ruin the life of anyone that loves you, but on the upside you wont give a shit about it. You will only care about yourself.

Just follow your instincts... you know what you need to do.
>>
>>16986089

I don't think you know what bipolar is, friendo
>>
>>16986096

its about highs and lows, but its about you, not your partner. Your highs are their highs, and your lows will mind fuck them to the crazy house.

Just end yourself. Do the world a favor.
>>
>>16986099

Not an accurate description of my relationship with my husband at all, sorry.
>>
>>16986106

How would you even know you psycho? You can't empathize with other people its part of the condition.
>>
>>16986131

Part of many conditions, like borderline, but not bipolar
>>
>>16985604

if you arent mentally stable enough to take care of yourself how can you take care of each other?
>>
You aren't mentally ill. You are a sad person desperate for help and decided to fall for the psych meds meme. Eternally fucking your life up at your own expense. Now you come here all by your lonesome shallowly asking about >tfw no gf and expect some new form of magic answer.

Stay mad
Stay sad
Stay dumb
>>
>>16986089
False. The term you are looking for is, ahole.
>>
>>16985635
This
There are multiple coping methods to deal with depression and anxiety. Critically look at your life and your behaviours, if your smoking weed or drinking every day or multiple days a weed stop . If your staying inside and doing nothing all day stop. If you are ruminating on all the problems and bad things in your life (which i would guess you do a lot since you posted about it on 4chan), stop. These behaviours have a cascading effect on the rest of your life and will make you depressed and anxious.
As far as treatment goes anxiety (which has a extremely prevalent correlation with mood disorders) therapy is a good idea. For more extreme psychotic symptoms a drug therapy may be better although therapy will help you recognise the patterns which lead to anti-social and psychotic behaviour.
As a person who has suffered from a major mood disorder i can tell you that its possible to become a normal person again and lead a normal and good life. If you want to get a qt gf you need to deal with your shit and become the best person you can be. Dont be lazy and dont procrastinate, get out there and help yourself, stop waiting for life to fall into your lap because it wont.
>>
>>16985645
What is it like having bpd?
>>
>>16985604
Maybe...Probably not..

I know a couple who are both pretty mentally ill. They 110% should have not been in the mess they are in now but I'm telling you this because despite how fucked up they both are, they still have each other and their two kids. Yep. Two mentally unstable people I know have two kids with each other. The marriage has been rocky from day one, the girl is constantly on FB fishing for validation and likes and the husband is super bi-polar, suicidal and always posts about killing cops, messing with them, and weed.

I honestly believe if you just seek some treatment and take some time for yourself. (it's not going to be an overnight thing) you're on a path to improvement. that doesn't mean you'll be cured, but each day will be more easy to handle than the last. It's a lifestyle change at this point. You have to want to get better. Work on yourself before you invite someone in your life. that's what attracts people. When you somewhat have your shit together or ready to have someone ride along for the journey.
>>
>>16985604
i would say it's not fair to either of you to get into a relationship when you can't focus on both of you. you need to focus on yourself, and getting better mentally before you can fully delve into a relationship with someone who is going to rely on YOU mentally.

a relationship is not going to magically make things better, either, and can actually make some things worse.

learn how to be okay with being alone first, get a handle on some coping skills, and then pursue someone.
>>
ya its possible to be functional
many girls have same issues as you and you can relate with them

also life isnt just about getting laid, no matter how much media tries to make you believe that,
>>
>>16986854
I found a good explanation for this a while back:
>imagine living through the most intense emotion you have ever felt; rage, depression, hopelessness, guilt, elation. imagine this emotion consumes you entirely, so much so that you cannot focus or function normally. that sounds tiresome, right? now imagine experiencing these intense emotions several times a day every day for years. that is what having borderline personality disorder is like. a constant stream of too much too much too much followed by short periods of nothing at all

To regulate the "too much" I will pick fights, throw stuff, go on buying sprees, hurt myself or stop eating. Add paranoia, a constant need for validation and chronic suicidal ideation. It's a pain in the ass. People often say how the flipside of BPD is that patients are capable of loving someone like no one else, but what kind of guy cares about that anymore when I'm batshit? The cons clearly outweigh the pros.
>>
>>16985604
Yes, i've known many people (male and female) with mental illnesses in fulfilling, happy relationships.

For one thing, it really depends on the problem. For example, paranoid schizophrenia is a classic example of something pretty much impossible for a partner to tolerate.

Also, problems with antisocial features (ASPD, BPD, etc) will generally make you happier at the severe expense of your partner, and until you have them 100% managed you should frankly avoid all relationships period.
>>
>>16987569
Thanks. I've been wondering if I have bpd for a while now. I know that I need to go see a therapist (for other reasons too) I just haven't made an appointment yet. I guess a little part of me is afraid that by going, I'm admitting that I'm not ok.
>>
>>16987682
Make the appointment, anon. BPD is a bitch and can get very dangerous (for yourself, as well as your loved ones) if left untreated. It's also hard to treat, so if you really turn out to have it, it's best to start treatment asap.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.