[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Advice for a married man
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: marriage-662x526.jpg (34 KB, 662x526) Image search: [Google]
marriage-662x526.jpg
34 KB, 662x526
Hey /adv/. Any advice for a man getting married tommorow?
>>
>>16985397
Spend time to reflect on the past and look forwards towards your future with this woman. Also don't do anything retarded like a bachelor party in a strip club. Also, congratulations anon.
>>
>>16985397
its not too late
you can still escape
>>
>>16985410
Oh! Some sincere advice! Thanks, anon

>>16985423
Ha, about what I expected. I know I can but I don't want to.

Also, you're free to ask me stuff if you have anything in mind that's related to me or the wedding
>>
Is he a good kisser
>>
>>16985444
Trips confirm OP is a homosexual
>>
>>16985448
Must be a real small dick then, never noticed. At least I'm a top?
>>
Realize you both have weaknesses and that you're human.

Recognize and appreciate your differences. If you were exactly alike, you probably wouldn't have gotten married.

Don't try to have a storybook marriage. Shit happens, literally.

Have fun together, stay playful. Inside jokes are nice to have, especially for the times when there's a bit of a strain between the two of you and you need something to ease the tension.

Support each other, ALWAYS.

But if you aren't cool with something, let them know. Don't harbor bad feelings. Be open with each other.

Ask each other about your days, even if there isn't much to talk about. Leave an invitation open for ranting about work or the gym or whatever.

Don't try to keep each other from your friends/hobbies, sometimes you need "me" time. It doesn't mean you love each other any less just because you need a few hours away.

Don't panic about divorce every time you have an argument.

BREATHE. If you feel like you're about to react poorly, take a step back and try to relax before you respond.

Don't try to argue over text. It's way too easy to misinterpret things when you aren't face to face and/or hearing their voice.

Always remember your vows. Remember your wedding day and how you felt looking into your spouse's eyes when you promised to spend the rest of your life with them.
>>
Hey OP how did you organise your wedding? My fiance has left it all up to me, and I'm trying to organise a laid back ceremony/reception but it's honestly harder and more expensive than fancy looking ones because you need to organise more
>>
>>16985520
Most of this is general LTR advice, so if OP is getting married he already knows this shit, faggot.
>>
>>16985542
Not OP but I'm the one who made the post above yours. We had a courthouse ceremony with no guests, just the two of us and a preacher. It was incredibly intimate and very cheap (only costed us $100 for the license). Afterwards we went to the restaurant where we had our first date.
>>
>>16985397
Don't lie, fuck a lot, tolerate each other
>>
>>16985559
OP asked for advice and I gave it. If you think there's anything more important to tell him, then go right ahead. Besides, even if he already knows this stuff, a reminder never hurts.
>>
You realize that the cards are stacked against you now? A gun to your head, every day for the rest of however many years until she either divorces you mercilessly or, worse, slowly but steadily becomes fat, annoying and nothing in the world you can do about it.

Meanwhile I'll hop from 20-something to 20-something.

Godspeed OP, we need guys like you
>>
it's not too late to call it off
>>
Hide your assets offshore. Keep a minimal amount in joint accounts. Get up early and get a pre-nump signed.
>>
Stash 10 to 50% of your final income in case things go sour, and when they do, go mgtow
>>
>>16985397
prenup
:)
>>
Why are all if you guys all horned up on prenups?

How much in assests do you even have going into the marriage???

I'm a male but if a girl ever asked me to sign a pre nup I'd walk out right there and then...

If you aren't sure don't get married... I went through a messy divorce as a kid (6 years). I really don't see why people get into a commitment like this if they aren't sure
>>
My best friend is getting married in a few months.
What a disaster.
She has BPD.
She has the functionality of a child.
He does literally everything for her.
She's extremely judgemental.

I don't know what to tell you OP, but don't be him.
>>
>>16985397
I've been married for 11 years at this point, with my wife going on 18.

1) Pick you battles. Not everything is worth getting your back up over. Argue over the important stuff, the rest of it isn't worth your time.
2) Improve one another by trying out each other's interests. My wife put on a Fiona Apple album twenty minutes ago. I've thought I disliked Fiona Apple since I got bored of jerking off to the Criminal video in middle school. Half a bottle of wine down and I'm kinda digging something I never would have listened to on my own.
3) Be a team. I cannot manage money, so my wife handles the finances. She sucks with people so I'm the social director. We talk about any decision thats going to cost more than $100. We balance one another out. If one of you wants to be the boss you're going to resent the shit out of each other.
4) You're going to be wrong a solid fifty percent of the time. So is she. Always let her save face and she'll return the favor.
5) Talk about it. Holding things in kills relationships.
6) Mistakes happen. Perfect relationships don't exist because there are no problems, they exist because the two of you fix things when they get fucked. They WILL get fucked, you will think about cutting your losses, but if both of you work at it you'll come back stronger than ever.

Which brings us to...

7) Buy a gun. Seriously. I'm about to get real gender essential and old fashioned here but...you're the man and its now your responsibility to protect your family. Thats your job, you now have other people to worry about, people more important than yourself. Right now its just her, someday it might be kids if thats your thing, but either way you better be ready to fight, kill, or die for your family. The gun is a symbol, but you'll both understand what it means even if you never say a word about it and every time you see it or think about it will remind you how your life has fundamentally changed.

Congrats, man, you got this!
>>
>>16985600
>Meanwhile I'll hop from 20-something to 20-something.

My wife and I have been doing that since we were 20-somethings. You know what college girls like? Daddy with a nice car, good whiskey, an interesting house, and a girlfriend all built in.

Your lack of vision is depressing, Anon. Babylon could be so much more...
>>
>>16986495
Cannot stress #3 enough. It's all about balance.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.