[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I being petty?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (86 KB, 960x576) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86 KB, 960x576
I took my roommate to the airport 3 hours away and picked him up because it was on the way to my final destination. The only issue is that to make his flight, we needed to leave at 3:30 am when I was planning to leave at 10 or 11 in the morning instead. Even with requiring me to change my plans, he feels that he does not have to pay me for gas money since I was heading that way anyways. This has caused a divide and some tension in our apartment and our friends since some are siding with him and others are siding with me. I'm just wondering what /adv/ thinks is standard etiquette for this situation.

Pic unrelated
>>
From the way you wrote it, everything's already said and done right?
If you wanted him to pay, you should have made it clear. If you knew ahead of time you'd have to leave earlier, that would be the time to discuss money. Not after you've already driven him. Beforehand he could have decided whether or not he accepted, and would be able to look for another ride if he had to.
>>
>>16984620
In retrospect I should have however I have never had this problem before as my other roommate has traveled with me to the destination I was going to before and when I had to stop for gas, offered to pay for a tank of gas without me asking. It just seems like a tacky thing to ask for. And everyone else I've carpooled with on long drives has contributed in their own way either by paying for my lunch, buying me a drink, etc. The point is I didn't think I'd need to ask for gas money since I thought it was a standard for longer trips.
>>
File: peace.jpg (45 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
peace.jpg
45 KB, 600x600
>>16984593
Took him to the airport... 3hrs away...
Doesn't matter if you were heading that way, it was an incredibly nice thing to do for a friend. If anything he should feel uncomfortable for not paying for gas- let alone your time!
Doesn't sound like a friend I'd want around me, considering he is a roomie what I'd do is drop the whole thing after reconciling with a polite convo (saying you'll agree to diasgree and that if a resolution is met there will be NO further conversations regarding it, between you two OR between any of your friends) and then go your seperate ways when the lease is up.
With the way he's acted in this situation I can basically guarantee there will be another problem or this will be brought up again.
Doesn't cost a penny to be nice or political in these sort of situations.
Pic very much related.
>>
Did he asked for that favor, or did you offer?

That's the shitty thing about being a car owner, you're expected more from you. Well, its all done and done now, and it should be appreciated by him at the very least. Don't pick that faggot up when he's coming back tho
>>
>>16984649
This.

I think you should have mentioned gas money from the beginning. It was very nice of you to even do this for your roommate. You shouldn't push this any further and I would just not offer any more rides regardless if you get gas money or not.
>>
>>16984593
Write it off as him being a minor asshole, not worth getting upset about. And just happen to be unavailable the next time he wants a favor.
>>
>>16984661
>>16984649
I at least would have offered a meal. I don't get why people don't just room up with their buds instead of random dicks. My room mate is my best friend.
>>
>>16984880
This. There's no point arguing with assholes.
>>
>>16984593

you should have asked him if he'd donate some gas money beforehand. if he said 'no'. then you said 'id rather just sleep in then'.

after the fact hes still being an ingrate but you cant do someone a favor and then charge them for it, thats rude. still hes being an ingrate for not kicking you five or 10 bucks just to help.
>>
>>16984892

not always an option. rooming with buds can suck too tho.

>move in with bud
>hes the fucking worst roommate
>send him off

also living wieth a friend can be distracting.

>new roommate
>we have great friend chemistry
>we end up spending all the time together
>i cant even edit a video cuz he walks into my room and just starts dancing in his underwear.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.