[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
$15 Minimum wage hike
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: download.jpg (17 KB, 266x190) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
17 KB, 266x190
So the wage here in California just got approved for an increase.
Any point in going to college anymore? Since I'll be making the same as a dishwasher with no college education
>>
there already was no point in going to college unless you're getting a degree where you gain extremely specialized information that allows you to get a career which pays a lot
>>
>>16983501

if you have no savings like most people who -stay- at minimum wage, then probably no point to college.

all you'll do is incur massive debt to compound your poor money choices.

also only big companies will probably be able to deal with their entry level positions with this wage hike. expect smaller companies that are local to stop hiring.
>>
Minimum wage will go up, but rent will also climb to scale. It will still be somewhat unliveable.

Go to school or learn a trade or you're going to be fucked.
>>
do the dirty jobs no one else wants to do.

>friend of mine worked for a pest control company
>1 year later he started his own pest control business and is doing jobs for hospitals, universities, residential, etc.

technical schools are an option to for stuff like HVAC.
>>
>>16983501
Depends on what you're interested in, anon. Keep in mind that future careers might endear you to travel elsewhere--if you're looking for a highly-specialized career then definitely check it out. Also regardless of what you study nowadays, even a BA can go a long way in the states.

I don't have experience with trade schools or anything, but if I had to offer some advice I'd say be flexible. Take any job offer you can and prove your hiring worth through that. With the minimum wage increase I guarantee employers will be looking to hire based on quality, not quantity.
>>
Employers will just hire more temporary workers since they're cheaper.
>>
you think you deserve more as a dishwasher if you have a college degree?

fucking lel
>>
>>16983747
but demand for products will go up because everyone will have more money, thus prompting more overall hours of work needed to be filled.
>>
>>16983537
the point of the minimum wage hike is to make housing more affordable though
>>
Working as a $14 cashier already. No, I hate my life, I hate people. Can't wait to get my degree and do actual cool shit.

Even if McDonalds paid $20, I'm not wasting my life greasing up fries, cleaning bathrooms, dealing with fatfucks or vomitting kids, or any of that.
>>
>>16983767
Lel good look with that. If everything now costs more to make do you think prices aren't going up?
>>
>>16983759
The demand won't increase significantly if at all because the cost of the manufacturing of a product would have just gone up
>>
>>16983839
And before you say shit about things not produced in california, stores now have to pay all their employees more money than they were before and JUST to stock shelves and shit. Not to mention that people that were making 15 before the wage increase now have less incentive to do that job that would be harder or require more qualifications because a fucking burger flipper would be making the same. So current 15/hr jobs would go up because 15 is now what you pay for shitty jobs and shitty employees.
>>
>>16983832
Make sure you do something that doesn't make you hate life first then.
Not to patronize but having some little paper from a college wont make thing better. I'm studying in at a university and people are still pure shitforbrains.
>>
>>16983767
That's the point, yes, but in practice it rarely works for long. Prices adjust.
>>
>>16983767
When you increase the minimum wage other portions of the economy shift to accommodate that change. Higher rent and less jobs are the most notable though.
>>
>>16983501
>>16983501
You're an idiot if you were going to college just to make more money. You go to college to get into certain fields and to do certain things for a living. You don't just go because "I want more money."

Kill yourself.
>>
>>16984343
This. Also don't be surprised if you get laid off from your current job or find it harder to get one. This increase will hurt more people as time goes on.
>>
>>16984658
"Over the next six years"
>>
>>16983767

It's called Inflation.

Expect your food prices to cost more too.
>>
What the hell? Why is there names?

Is today a holiday or some shit?
>>
>>16984811
you're gay
>>
>>16984811
April fools day
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.