[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Daily Alchohol?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (358 KB, 1242x2208) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
358 KB, 1242x2208
Can I drink Alchohol daily to stop obsessive thoughts that are slowly fucking up my life?

I seem to be rather sensitive to alcohol and just a small amount makes all the worrying thoughts disappear.

It's not my first option, and I know it sounds rather stupid, but it is effective. I'm currently speaking to a psychiatrist, a therapist and my doctor and am on just Ritalin, no history of addiction and I've successfully weaned myself off SSRIs and past ADHD meds so I doubt this would become something bigger.

I'd like to go and speak to a counselor but my next appointment is 3 weeks away and I'd like to get shit done now.

I was curious if there was something I maybe wasn't thinking about that I need to consider.
>>
Why not see a psychiatrist and a therapist instead of drinking all the damned time?

SSRIs are a lot healthier for you than alcohol, lol.
>>
>>16983109
Well I am seeing a psychiatrist and a therapist.

This is the first time that I've actually had a drink outside of a party setting, just me here alone (had a few spare bottles)

I hate the side effects of SSRIs and it's an absolute living hell weaning off of them. They don't seem to be too effective for me either.

I'm asking this question mainly because I'm scared of becoming an alchoholic because I'm sure a lot of people start with "oh I'll just have one drink" and they become addicts later.

From my past history I know that I'm unlikely to become an addict, but I don't know how addiction starts.
>>
Sounds like a bad idea, dude.
>>
>>16983126
Drinking daily is a stupid idea and you'll become physically addicted no matter what you think, it's how the body works. Have you never heard of drinking your problems away not working? Push through whatever you say you're going through without drinking to compensate.

Also I realize you're ADHD, but if you're taking Ritalin daily as well you're inevitablably going to deplete your dopamine, and you'll start to feel like shit. That may be what's already happened desu
>>
File: 1421555884754.jpg (29 KB, 495x357) Image search: [Google]
1421555884754.jpg
29 KB, 495x357
I drink two 8% 32oz beers every night for that very reason, OP. Nothing more, nothing less. It certainly takes the edge off, and I sleep much better because of it. Unfortunately it will fuck your stomach up. You will experience agonizing indigestion periodically throughout the day, and probably gain weight. Your shit will also never be solid.
My anxiety is off the charts. I'm supposed to be on antidepressants, xanax, and trazodone. I lost my medicaid when I turned 18. This is what I've been doing to cope. To me, having those beers to look forward to at the end of my work day outweighs the cons I've mentioned.

tl;dr if you have insurance just find some meds. Alcohol will help your anxiety (if used in moderation), but it's kind of a temporary last resort. 2 more years of this and I'm sure to develop health problems.
>>
>>16983106
I wouldn't do it daily. Here's what I would do:

Make it a priority with your therapist to talk about ways to deal with worrying thoughts. They can be hard and they won't be as effective as alcohol, but they will get easier if you keep doing them. Then allow yourself 1-2 nights per week when you have a drink or two (but no more than that) and give yourself a break from having to cope the hard way.

The point is, you should train yourself to use other methods instead of alcohol, and make the alcohol more of a treat or a relief rather than your main go-to coping mechanism. If alcohol becomes your main method of coping, you will develop a drinking problem very quickly.
>>
Thanks for the advice guys. I was caught up in the middle of just a terrible day/week and this seemed like a great idea haha.
>>
I'm now five years sober after doing the daily alcohol thing for a while to cope with anxiety. turns out the rebound anxiety from daily drinking is terrible and makes you want to drink more! Who knew?
>>
>>16983106
OP, as far as I can tell, the people who are telling you this is a bad idea are people who don't have problems with anxiety/intrusive thoughts. I have a glass of wine or two a day to help myself calm down. Make sure you eat something with the alcohol so it doesn't hurt your stomach. I've never had problems with addiction, and if you can go off SSRIs without a problem, you're probably fine. If you find you need more than two glasses of wine, you'll probably want to find another solution.

That being said, talk with a doctor before taking alcohol with any other medication in your system. Alcohol can mix in a bad way with a lot of prescriptions.

>>16983833
This is why you should never drink beer in excess over an extended period of time.

>>16983109
>SSRIs are a lot healthier for you than alcohol, lol.
>>16983826
>but if you're taking Ritalin daily as well you're inevitablably going to deplete your dopamine, and you'll start to feel like shit. That may be what's already happened
I'm just going to assume you're a troll. These are some of the most ignorant statements I've seen on 4chan regarding pharmaceuticals.
>>
>>16983833
Stop drinking 64 ounces of beer and switch to the alcohol equivalent in something hard (vodka, scotch, etc.). Jesus, why drink all of the extra shit that comes in that much beer when a few ounces of liquor will do the same thing?
>>
>>16984020
OP spoke of weaning off previous medications. Clear potential for addiction and believing he/she can control outside influences.

All red flags for addiction to alcohol if unchecked. Alcohol addiction is no silly problem. It's a fucking nightmare. You may not be experiencing addiction to it or have that propensity but FUCK you for not recognising that propensity and suggesting alcohol as an easy fix.
>>
>>16984020
>I'm just going to assume you're a troll. These are some of the most ignorant statements I've seen on 4chan regarding pharmaceuticals.

Ritalin inhibits dopamine uptake in the nervous system, which is where the euphoria can come from. If you take Ritalin everyday you're brain responds by down regulating dopamine production. I don't know why you're trying to discredit me when thats objectively part of what ADHD mess do, you're the ignorant one here
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.