[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would I go about becoming a contract developer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: badass.jpg (117 KB, 683x724) Image search: [Google]
badass.jpg
117 KB, 683x724
Hey, I have a skill and I would like to make money off it while I am in education. I have been programming for about 7 years and would like to start writing software to make ends meet while I am at university studying.

I would write my own and sell it but its less likely to make enough money.

How would I go about doing this?
>>
Hi OP,

I'm not in the field, but I think it's all about networking and doing a good job so other people can refer you. Linkedin will be a big help.
>>
>>16982830
Yeah, it's just I'm 18 and just starting out. Connections are non-existent at the moment. Still, I have about 2 dozen decent size projects.
>>
>>16982834
Where do you live? Make connections at your university. Trust me, you won't have a problem at all. Get on that Linkedin and Github though. Those two are going to be VERY important for you in the future. Just list out your most important projects and accomplishments. Good luck, bud.
>>
>>16982845
I have GitHub already, although the issue is that the username is really old and linked across a bunch of very old profiles I have from like 15. I live around one of the largest cities on earth
>>
>>16982854
Keep it updated.

NYC? London? SF? Keep working on cool projects and you'll be recruited easily. I had a friend's 18 year old brother get recruited for a programming job in SF while he was in school. Nigga fucking made 100k at 18.

If your work is good, they will find you.

Source: I am a recruiter
>>
>>16982866
Shit, What kind of things are they after? I have got some very big projects on there.

Also, how do I make myself more noticable?
>>
>>16982870
Honestly, I'm not a technical recruiter, so I don't have much xp in that field, but really it's a lot.

What programming languages do you know, what have you worked on, what projects have you initiated and finished by yourself, it can be anything. They'll set some search parameters like
"language: ruby on rails and location: SF" and look through people that way. Just show good work.

I think my best tip is to keep learning new languages and work on cool projects. Network when you meet people in the tech industry.
>>
>>16982885
I need to put in location then. I have a ton of projects on there In C mostly but a few in Java.

I just need to find some time to learn some more languages then.
>>
>>16982893
You have tons of time, man. Don't stress about it. Don't forget your linkedin, because that's another way recruiters reach out to you.
>>
>>16982898
Thanks a lot, Just going through linkedin now.
>>
>>16982946
Good luck, bud!
>>
>>16982964
Thanks a lot.
>>
>>16982866
What did he make at 18 that impressed the recruiter?
>>
>>16983572
I have no idea as I didn't know him personally but he was very accomplished
>>
>>16983577
>he was very accomplished

He must be a very smart person. I know that recruiters are only interested in extremely good programmers. Just being competent isn't enough.
>>
>>16982820
Do a couple of free jobs, for a local church or charity, so you have something for your resume and samples to show Then peddle yourself to local businesses.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.