[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Need your advice, English speakers.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 1344437299559.jpg (86 KB, 634x385) Image search: [Google]
1344437299559.jpg
86 KB, 634x385
Hello, 4chan. Need your advice. Especially if you are a native english speaker.
I'm in process of making my youtube project. I've spent months perfecting it. (gosh, we even have our own stuff as the background music and some cartoons as visuals). This project is related to video-games somehow. And you see, narration is a very important component of this project. The problem is, I'm not a native speaker. And I don't want to hire someone for this job, since I believe that I'm the only one who can read aloud the script as it was meant to. With the right emotions, aspects etc.
And here comes the question:
Does it feel bad to a native speaker to listen to someone who has an accent and may make some mistakes just a bit? Is it crucial?
>>
>>16980397
it can be pretty funny sometimes
>>
>>16980397
Get help with the writing so it is grammatically perfect and colloquially natural. Then your accent won't matter.
>>
Depends a lot on where you are from.

Most northern European people are fine and their English is perfectly understandable.

Italians/Greek/Spanish can often border unintelligible.

Non-Europeans non-Native speakers are often impossible to understand if they haven't spent a lot of time speaking English where it is a native language.

Ultimately it will depend on your skills as an English-speaker and your charisma. The biggest guy on YouTube is Swedish. So it's not impossible.
>>
>>16980404
I believe that being funny is ok for my project, since I won't talk about starving african children.

>>16980458
Of course I'll do my best to make the writing perfect. But what I'm really concerned about is how the voice of a non native speaker will be perceived.

>>16980480
Sounds motivating, thanks.

Here is an example. I've just recorded it to make things easier. http://vocaroo.com/i/s0AQjshf34ng
>>
Oh come on, is it THAT bad?
>>
>>16980494
Easy to understand you sound kinda like this Swede I knew a while back but I'm shit with accents
>>
>>16980494
Not a bad accent. Good timber to your voice. I think you'll do fine (random person on the internet giving advice).

Now I'm curious though. Where are you from??
>>
>>16980494
You have an interesting intonation, but you're very understandable. If you write scripts and do separate takes if/when you stuff up, very few people will even mention your accent.
>>
>>16980560
>>16980565
>>16980569

Thank you so much, guys. I'm a bit happier now.
Actually I'm Russian\Japanese\Ukrainian. Yeah, I have a DIVERSE past.
>>
>>16980578
How would I find your channel. I'm bored ill subscribe honestly.

I don't do shit but go on YouTube anyways.
>>
>>16980397
OP suicidal fuck here, I am an English born speaker here and I don't care. As long as someone is trying? I don't care if there's mess ups..I have friends from other countries and don't hold their language issues against them. Yes anon you'll have people doubt you and redicule you, I won't be gentle about this....but anyone who has succeeded has faced negative people...you have to keep pushing forward no matter what, the naysayers usually are people who haven't succeeded themselves..at the end of the day as long as you're pursuing what you want in life? That's what matters, cause never forget anon, that's the only person you truly have to face every morning when we look in the mirror..ourselves...We get one life..pursue what you want anon and never look back.
>>
>>16980584
Wow. Seems like I have my first subscriber. Here it is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz9JjA1Q05KOttj4OOFs97g
There is nothing there yet. We're not even sure with the logo yet. The first video will be released in few weeks.

>>16980589
That was... inspirational, thanks. I'm not planning to stop though, this project means a lot to me. And I believe it will be successful.
>>
>>16980600
Aight then I look forward to whatever it is.

Hopefully I will catch it.
>>
File: 1451845109744.png (11 KB, 229x220) Image search: [Google]
1451845109744.png
11 KB, 229x220
>>16980494
>But what I'm really concerned about is how the voice of a non native speaker will be perceived.
>I've just recorded it to make things easier. http://vocaroo.com/i/s0AQjshf34ng

Being a non-native speaker for YT is absolutley fine as long as you're understandable, which you are. Off the top of my head I can think of Taras Kul, ASMRMania, and NFKRZ - they all have both heavy accents when speaking English and subscriber counts in the hundreds of thousands range.

Having an accent gives your work a bit of flavour. I don't know if it applies in other languages, but where there are so many dialects of English it's a big thing. British girls love guys with an Australian accent, American girls love guys with a British accent, every English speaker in the world despises people with a Scottish accent, so on and so forth. Don't worry about making small mistakes, as long as you're not talking like Polandball it just adds to the flavour. Besides, grammar is much less important in spoken English that when writing. Certainly in the part of the country I'm from, whilst you might write "I expect we'll have a cup of tea", saying out loud "I 'spect we'll 'ave a cuppertea won't us?" is perfectly acceptable.
>>
>>16980644
Hit the nail on the head m9. Listen to this bellend OP
>>
>>16980644
>>16980674
Thank you. I feel much more confident.
So I'll just focus on some really important things now.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.