[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My parents are wealthy. My boyfriend's parents aren't.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 708939_orig[1].gif (101 KB, 480x778) Image search: [Google]
708939_orig[1].gif
101 KB, 480x778
My parents are wealthy. My boyfriend's parents aren't. I started to give him things, and he was very reluctant to accept them when we first started dating. He even tried to break up with me over some stuff because he was certain there was an agenda on my part, some sort of scheme I was concocting, because he grew up poor and people don't give things freely unless it's food or supplies or whatever. I just like to give him things, try to help him relax from working all day, and I try to encourage him to go to school but he refuses to take out student loans.

Two and a half weeks ago my parents agreed to pay for him and I to go to Europe for a toured vacation. He flat-out refused because it would mean losing a whole paycheck, but I finally coaxed him into going with pokes and prods. This is where my problem is.

See, when we first landed in Germany, he started speaking German. Fluently. I'm not talking him and I being two Americans stumbling over a thesaurus, I mean people thought he was a native. When I asked him how he knew German, he said he studies in his spare time. And as we kept touring Europe, more skills he had I didn't know about kept appearing. He's also fluent in French and Italian, he help the captain of a ship by tying knots or whatever and working in lieu of one of the workers not showing up for work, he debated philosophy with a bunch of French friars while we went through France (they liked him so much we got a free tour of their church grounds), he even milked a freaking cow without batting an eye AND THEN DRANK IT.

I should be impressed, but instead I'm very startled... How is it that he doesn't have a university education, and yet he's somehow smarter than me? At first I wouldn't let him help me with homework, but I let him take a glance at it last night and he started explaining things to me that I couldn't get despite being in class. What is going on? Why does he intimidate me?

Pic related is his favorite book, if it helps explain his behavior.
>>
Pretty good book, anyway what was your question? How do you get over the fact that he's smart? Well idk, but the fact that you think that's a bad thing says quite a bit about you.
>>
>>16974888
I'm not sure what your problem is, OP. You have a boyfriend who you seem to get along with greatly, and he's also smart and educated.
Enjoy it.
Maybe you feel like you should be "better" because you had a more formal education and/or are wealthy? I'd take it for what it is, a nice surprise, and be excited.
>>
Are you more intimidated by his intelligence than he is by your wealth? Why is that?

Why are you even with him? What do you see in him? Do you, on some level, think you're better than him? And now find that being challenged because you've been brought up to think money buys intelligence and education, while he has it in abundance through effort and ability?

None of your post makes any sense unless there are many insecurities underlying your person.
>>
>>16974888
A persons lack of qualifications does not always reflect their intelligence. He has clearly studied a variety of subjects in his in his own time. You could learn more from reading books than from attending university. I go to university but i learn more from reading. Awfully strange that he never mentioned any of these skills to you. Sound like there is a lack of communication in the relationship.
>>
It does seem odd that someone with no formal education would know multiple languages. Is your family important as well as wealthy? Perhaps he is a spy of some sort.
>>
>>16974888

>How is it that he doesn't have a university education, and yet he's somehow smarter than me?

Because you can't buy intelligence.

You're intimidated because you thought you had the upper hand in this relationship, and it's quickly become clear that isn't the case. You have your parents' fortune to fall back on; he's the type of guy who can earn his own.
>>
>>16974932
not really. you do realise that there is are so resources available that can be uased to learn a language. im from a poor household and all of my friends are poor, a few of them are currently learning a language.
>>
>>16974940
It's easy to say you'll learn a language but becoming fluent in multiple languages is an entirely different beast. You don't just become fluent sitting at home on the computer.
>>
>>16974932

>It does seem odd that someone with no formal education would know multiple languages.

Is everyone in this thread American? You all REALLY fell for the "college is necessary" advertising campaign, didn't you? People are capable of reading books without being compelled to do so by a school curriculum. Of course it can be beneficial to study under a knowledgable professor, alongside smart classmates, but it's hardly necessary.

Especially when it comes to learning foreign languages, a classroom is really not an ideal environment. You learn MUCH faster and more effectively by just spending time around people who speak the language, learning just like you learned your first language when you were a baby.
>>
>>16974945
No, but if you learn a language early and have the opportunity to practice it becomes easier to learn more languages. At the point, fluency can come quickly, especially if you're reading.
>>
>>16974945
obviously. but regardless of a persons background, people can have a desire to learn languages. Ops bf is probably ambitious and spends his time studying in his spare time. I study philosphy and history in my own time. I have a friend that works for a physics research team and he earns over £45k a year, he taught him self most of his study, he also didnt go to university. You can become incredibly smart with out going to university, in fact, self study is probably better than university.
>>
>>16974888

Intelligence is patriarchy. Tell him that he's being a sexist asshole by showing off like this. He has NO right to make you feel stupid.
>>
>>16974966
not sure if you're being intentionally being funny or this is bait
>>
>>16974967

Can't it be both? It's a joke that becomes funnier if someone takes it seriously and gets angry
>>
>>16974967
>>16974972

No it is NOT a joke. Just look at what she said in her first post:

>At first I wouldn't let him help me with homework, but I let him take a glance at it last night and he started explaining things to me that I couldn't get despite being in class

Like, come on. Is that really how you think a good boyfriend should behave? At a certain point here, he's just being a dick, and he should stop
>>
>>16974976
Yeah, like, ugh.
I can't even.
>>
>>16974902
>>16974903
>>16974916
>>16974920
>>16974934
>>16974955
It's rare I agree with so many posts in a thread, there are usually more varying opinions. \

>>16974976
kek
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.