[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best Career? I was considering going for finance
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: college mahjor.jpg (275 KB, 857x721) Image search: [Google]
college mahjor.jpg
275 KB, 857x721
What is the best Career? I was considering going for finance and getting in banking/investment banking but considering most bankers are heartless jews I'm not so sure anymore. Maybe i'll do engineering or something and actually do something useful. What do you guys think?
>>
>>16974003
>best Career
>best
That's subjective. The biggest question is: what matters most to you, liking it, having good prospects (can easily find a job), or eventually being able to make as much money as possible (even if getting a job like this is INSANELY competitive and difficult)?
>>
>>16974003
>I was considering going for finance and getting in banking/investment banking but considering most bankers are heartless jews

>I realized I'm too fucking stupid to handle spreadsheets

FTFY
>>
File: 21a.jpg (40 KB, 550x512) Image search: [Google]
21a.jpg
40 KB, 550x512
Hijacking this thread because OP can't be helped.

Is aerospace engineering a good major to xhoose? I'm interested in it and all, but from the bureau of labor statistics jobs there's a 2% decline for them. When I graduate will I still be able to find a aerospace engineering job?
>>
When finding the best job for you consider a lot of factors
Such as how long you are willing to be in school for, cost of training, competitiveness of that market
No one can promise you that your major will land you a job
Finding a job comes down to marketing yourself and networking with people
Labor stats are a okay benchmark of field value but they are no the end all be all
>>
>>16974057
Probably not. It's pretty niche so you're kind of fucked if you can't get a job in the field
>>
has this pic changed? could have sworn unbelievable tier had chem eng. and astrophys.
>>
>>16974003
Is Biology still a good subject to major in or no?

I love studying the processes of life and whatever, but I also wish to make decent money for the future.
>>
Plumbing.
Great money, can be a bit smelly, choose your own hours if your self employed.
>>
File: 1353973738555.jpg (86 KB, 480x600) Image search: [Google]
1353973738555.jpg
86 KB, 480x600
>>16974072
But if I major in something like mechanical engineering or something similar, will I still be able to get those jobs, or do I need to dedicate my major to that specific niche?
>>
>>16974162
No Biology is not a good area.

My friend has a degree in Biology and he is a customer service worker at a pizza place. Then again, I don't think he was involved in many labs, etc.

I'm in Computer Science and all of my friends in it found jobs after graduation. Some were more picky, so it took them a few weeks to secure a job. Others had offers upon graduation. You don't need to be involved in labs at school, and no need for a kickass portfolio to get a job after graduation. But if you want a lot of options after graduation then you should have some good projects under your belt, as well as some lab experience.
>>
>>16974177
What anon said doesn'y really seem to make any sense when companies like spacex and blue origin are blowing up right now.
>>
>>16974188
yeah but unless we know that OP has a 4.0+ GPA and has stellar extra curriculars and volunteers at the soup kitchen and goes to an incredible school known for its research in aerospace, he's probably not going to get in.
>>
>>16974003
>AUTISM the chart
Bunch of biased STEM memers making this shit. Your field is a MEME deal with it losers.
>>
>>16974188
you just proved his point of how niche it is.

can an aerospace eng. work for an oil company? maybe not but an electrical eng can work for both..
>>
>>16974162
It depends. Here in Italy it's not, but we find jobs in all Europe and US so the market isn't saturated.
Obviously you need to graduate in molecular biology, genetics, microbiology.
The problem is that everyone hate us.
Engineers hate us because we use less maths, and they even reject all biological solution to the greenhouse effect. They are literally endangering the human race for pride.
Doctors hate us because "we play", but without biology they would still bloodlet people.
General public and politicians hate us because much of the ethic problems of science comes from biology: OGM, artificial insemination, cloning.
It's useful? More useful for human race than aerospace engineering.
It pays? Not so much.
>>
I just want to make a lot of money doesn't really matter what I do I want to be financially secure
>>
>>16974162

Biology is a bad idea. Lots of people graduate with it and the market is saturated with biology degrees.

Go biochemistry - that's what you're more interested in studying anyway.
>>
>>16974003
>maths
>god tier

>tfw B.S. in maths
>tfw end up working low-level IT jobs with people who barely graduated high school

I fell for the meme.
>>
>>16974057
>>16974177
I'm a Mechanical Engineer so I'm pretty biased, but I can tell that if you do any of the three major engineerings (Mechanical, Electrical or Chemical), with further specialization you can work pretty much anywhere (as an engineer), while something like aerospace is much more focused on specific subjects.

If you're sure that aerospace is what you want, then by all means do it, but otherwise do consider what I said.
>>
>>16974656

>adjunct, teaching math
>student asks me what good a math degree is
>tell them that it is worthless -unless- you have additional non-math skills or experience, in which case it can actually look pretty good
>my boss finds out i said this
>gets mad
>>
you guys realize that in 20 years robots will be doing most of the work, right? We're all going to be unemployed, pretty quickly, even in professional fields like medicine, finance, law, etc. Even if you think it's just truck drivers, dock workers and fast food employees that are fucked, think of the repercussions that forty million suddenly unemployed people are going to have on the job market.

We're all fucked desu. Better start learning how to subsistence farm innawoods now, unless you're already wealthy you're not going to be living in the robotic utopia.
>>
This thread is a whole pile of fucking cringe, do what you want faggot some anonymous excited high schoolers aren't great at giving advice
>>
>>16974003
Is geology really that good? I'm 19 and in highschool (held back + late birthday, at least I'm taller than everyone) and I've been seriously thinking about majoring in it.

Is it worth it?
>>
File: Kek.jpg (37 KB, 389x597) Image search: [Google]
Kek.jpg
37 KB, 389x597
>unbelievable tier
>aerospace engineer
TOP FUCKING KEK!
>>
>>16974852
If it interests you then yes.
>>
>>16974057
Move to Georgia. Lockheed is here and hires and pays well into 6 figures. It's part of Dobbins Airforce Base.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.