[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Staying Happy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
How do you keep yourself happy? No matter what hobbies I try to get into I'm just generally tired of everything and I feel like I'm waiting for something to happen to me to change things up, but I know it won't happen.

I don't have a girlfriend so I spend most days by myself just going to work or class, doing whatever, and all the holidays and birthdays that pass by just shine more light on how lonely / bored I am. I wouldn't say I'm depressed but I just feel stagnant and I don't know what to do with myself.
>>
Find a hobby
Meditate
>>
>>16968845
I've even noticed that my sex drive is kind of decreasing, despite being young (I'm 21). I don't even really want to masturbate anymore and I don't get super horny very often.
>>
>>16968845

Do more stuff and get out more.

Being happy is directly related to your comparison of yourself and everything else in the world.
>>
>>16968859
That's the thing, though. I do look for more hobbies. Right now I'm teaching myself how to draw with books and guides and stuff. I've been trying to go out hiking more. I've been doing martial arts for a year and a few months now, And like I guess I have fun with it but it's very fleeting. I have no idea what I'm looking for but everything just seems so mundane
>>
is impossible all humans needs to be happy and unhappy. Its the balance
>>
>>16968845

what hobbies have you tried?
>>
>>16968889
I know it's not possible to be happy 24/7. But I'm not happy even a fraction of the time that I feel like I should be. I'm just meh. I feel like I don't get excited over much of anything anymore.
>>
>>16968870

instead of just learning how to draw, consider writing / drawing a limited comic book series.

>BUT ANON IM NOT GOOD AT DRAWING YET

neither is 99% of the people on deviantart or fanart or what have you. but do it anyways. it will give you a chance to REALLY learn how to draw by expanding what you do, and the endgame of releasing an issue is a rush that cant be beat.

creative hobbies that have releases, tangible rewards, etc. are all good.

promise yourself that if you finish all six issues, you'll go to createspace.com and order yourself a physical bound copy of all six issues.
>>
>>16968845
>>16968850
>>16968870
Could be early schizoid features (sounds a lot like me, years ago).
No idea what to tell you other than look it up and see if it sounds right (it's fairly striking, if that's you then you'll know as soon as you read the wikipedia article).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizoid_personality_disorder

As for what you can do about it: try asking a therapist. They might have some ideas.
The general self-help advice doesn't work if it really is schizoid: you will be able to improve your life in the eyes of other people, but will still be miserable, and on top of that you'll probably end up with depersonalization (lose touch with your real self).
In general, try to resist the temptation to do shit because it's "supposed" to make you feel good/happy/satisfied/etc. Find things you actually, genuinely enjoy and do them.

>I've even noticed that my sex drive is kind of decreasing, despite being young (I'm 21). I don't even really want to masturbate anymore and I don't get super horny very often.
It's normal for it to decrease at the end of your teenage years (body settling down into stable hormone levels), but if it gets to the point where you lose interest in sex, no longer get pleasure from sex/masturbation, can't orgasm, etc, then that's usually a sign that the problem is getting serious (schizoids frequently suffer from anhedonia).

Side note: it's pretty rare compared to shit like depression and social anxiety, but you're the 3rd possible case i've read today. Probably a coincidence, but interesting.
>>
>>16968993
That sounds like garbage to me sorry (Not OP)

When a bunch of people say dude we all feel like this it usually goes like dude we have a disorder! So they can feel better knowing a bunch of people feels the same way

You just need a gf anon, something to live for dude.
>>
Lift dude.
>>
>>16969205

Go on trips and find group hobbies to meet someone special for you man

I recently met a girl on a trip and after talking a lot on the bus we are together.

If you don't step forward you will never make a path
>>
>>16969214

This either. Spend your money on meeting people if you are still young because you won't be able to do it later man.
>>
>>16969205
>>16969221
>>16969229

Fucking listen to me i have been through your shit mate
>>
Drawing, reading, shitposting, just do anything to keep yourself busy and from thinking too much! Hell, maybe learn how to cook. Learn how to do something productive that is also a fun hobby!
>>
>>16969205
Read a book, anon. Or a wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personality_disorder
>When a bunch of people say dude we all feel like this it usually goes like dude we have a disorder! So they can feel better knowing a bunch of people feels the same way
That's not the main point, these disorders are defined by psychologists in order to establish and share knowledge on how to diagnose and treat these problems.
I'm not saying I'm sure OP has such a problem, not even 50% sure. Just noticed that OP doesn't seem like he has a routine everyday case of apathy/detachment, and it doesn't seem like common depression either.

You could be right, OP could be totally fine. Never hurts to see a therapist though, and could save them a lot of pain if it turns out otherwise.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.