[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can boss fire you for depression?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: images.jpg (8 KB, 183x275) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8 KB, 183x275
Is it wrong of your employer to fire you for depression? I work fast food and my manager says I always look upset, even when I just have an idle face. I've had depression since I was 15, and am now 21.
>>
>>16968209
If it affects their business then yes, of course they can. If however you're managing it and your performance is average or better then they probably won't.

My experience with employing people with depression is at some point their productivity will decline because they are usually very unreliable. I get rid of them ASAP after finding out.... and I always find out because of their high absentee rate and inability to meet performance targets on time and within budget.
>>
>>16968230
Well, it's a little different with my manager. She goes around telling people and making fun of me for it. She gets a cloud of bubbles from the back sink and holds her over her head, telling everyone that she's me. She has made my depression worse.
>>
>>16968247
I would find a new job and quit if she's doing that then, that's abusive and unprofessional
>>
>>16968247
What a fucking cunt. Can't you report her to her higher-ups for interfering with your work ethic or harrassment?
>>
>>16968247
Do fast food places have hr departments? You could get her fired or demoted for that
>>
>>16968209
Not in my country if you are permanent employee,

They cannot even kick you out of alcoholism, drug abuse, you go to rehab and make a comeback to the workplace.

During my "trial" time I faked a lot, I went to social gatherings, tried to generally seem like a good, easy-going guy.

Not all of my coworkers believed this since I am nothing like that in my private life and generally always disliked me, but it worked for my boss.
>>
>>16968308
>>16968323
The higher ups and HR wouldn't do anything. They didn't do anything when the manager had been clocking people out early to steal pay or prevent people from getting overtime. The only reason she hasn't fired me is because she doesn't want me to get unemployment. It's like she's trying to bully me into quitting.
>>
>>16968209
No, but he can fire you for "depression".
Get a medical report from your doctor and you'll probably be protected under disability discrimination, otherwise get the fuck out.
>>
>>16968376
Assuming you are in the US, clinical depression that is under treatment is indeed a protected class--so if your depression is being treated by professionals and it still impacts your ability to do your job, you are probably covered by the ADA. That doesn't mean that she can't fire you, but it does mean that you can sue for wrongful termination if she does. If you can afford a lawyer (hard to imagine given that you work fast food) and stand the hassle to go to court you will probably win.

In any case, I hope you can find a better job. Your boss sounds like an asshole, and fast food is in general a pretty degrading job.
>>
Why should not he be allowed to?
It's his private business, he should be allowed to fire whoever he wants for whatever reason, this should not be a problem for competent employees since a smart business owner is not going to fire a valuable employee for a dumb reason.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.