[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This summer I will graduate with a masters degree in a science.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: cfw.jpg (9 KB, 297x236) Image search: [Google]
cfw.jpg
9 KB, 297x236
This summer I will graduate with a masters degree in a science. My plan for several years has been to do a PhD and then probably go into research, but I'm starting to question that. I do enjoy the subject, but I have a lot of other interests. I've been feeling less and less happy about my plan because I don't expect committing to a PhD would leave me with much time for other things.

I'm lucky enough to have a bit of money and I lead an inexpensive lifestyle, so I could afford to be unemployed or work part-time and focus on my interests from home for several years. I'm a fairly motivated person, capable of getting things done when I put my mind to them, but I don't know if to do this would be a bad idea because I don't have a clear goal. I like the idea of taking some time to try things out, but I'm suspicious that it's just the appeal of an easy option. Another worry of mine is that if I were to drop out of my current path towards a research job, I wouldn't be able to get back on it. Maybe people would be suspicious of the gap on my CV .

I realise that having a choice means I'm in a very privileged position, so I don't want to waste it.

tl;dr: should I risk following a vague dream or stay on the path towards a career I'd probably be content with?
>>
It's not necessarily bad to have a gap that shows you went out and experienced life.

Cons: it fucking sucks to get back into the groove of school. Your classmates tend to be younger (sucks in a number of ways, annoying shits).
Pros: I'm glad I took a long break. I'm more confident, more comfortable.

Make sure you have relationships with people who will write recommendations. Let them know what you are thinking and that you'll hit them up later for letters. They will need examples of your work and a resume to be able to recommend you a few years from now.
>>
>>16960088
As I was writing my post I began to feel pretty confident that the gap is the way to go.

I already have 3 or 4 contacts at university and a lab I worked at who I'm sure would be willing to provide recommendations. I'll talk to them.

Thanks for the reply. How long did you take out and what did you do?
>>
>>16960123
I was ill and then started at the bottom. By the time I was ready to go forward, it had been 7 years. If I can explain that...you'll be good. And having good mentors made it easy--on my own, I wrote a paper and presented at a conference, then sent my updated resume and work to my mentors and started moving forward. The hard part after all these years is motivation. I work, I have a family, and writing falls to the side.
>>
>>16960145
That's pretty inspiring. I was thinking of taking an absolute maximum of 5 years for my own gap, probably more like 2-3. Best of luck with everything.
>>
>>16960158
Definitely put a shorter time frame on it! I couldn't help being ill, but given the option, 2-5 years would look way better.

Thanks. GL to you, too.
>>
>>16960088
>Your classmates tend to be younger (sucks in a number of ways, annoying shits).
Online education is the future. Tons of state universities offer all kinds of online programs, and the students tend to be older.
>>
I agree with >>16960088
I took a year off to just get myself together and figure out things. I caught up on my hobbies, made some money, and genuinely started to feel better about myself and my future. Headed back to school this fall, actually. A gap can actually do you some good, the only time it's bad is if you're not motivated with school in general but you seem like you are.
>>
>>16960226
Online PhDs?
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.