[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I was born into a bilingual household, and I grew up learning
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 18GRAY-articleLarge-v2.jpg (90 KB, 600x440) Image search: [Google]
18GRAY-articleLarge-v2.jpg
90 KB, 600x440
I was born into a bilingual household, and I grew up learning Spanish and English. However, I quit actually using Spanish in late elementary school, and my study of the language became limited to middle/high school classes.

I still have the grammatical/basic terminological skeleton of the language. How can I go about becoming fully fluent in Spanish, with my current knowledge base? I want to become a freelance interpreter.
>>
>>16959073

take spanish classes
>>
Just learn orthogrophy and read novels a lot with a thesaurus on hand.
>>
Speak spanish. Talk to spanish speakers. Do this every single day of your life. Oh, and learn phrases, not words - you'll learn nothing if you decide to learn the word "querer" instead of the phrase "yo quiero <noun>", for example.

I just had a similar issue with japanese and learning how to say phrases was more helpful than the words themselves.
>>
>>16959073
Take Spanish classes like the other anon said. Also, find someone you can practise with. Your family is Hispanic so that will be easy.

It's VERY possible to become fluent in a language even if you learned it during adulthood so it's even more possible for you to become fluent in language you started to learn since you were a baby. I know many people who are fluent in a language that they started to learn after the age of 18.

I am from Hong Kong. Almost nobody here is Hispanic and I dropped Spanish this semester as I have other stuff to do. I only took a beginner course in Spanish last semester and it only covers really basic stuff (numbers, simple sentences, family members, occupations, etc). I picked up a lot of Spanish just by using Duolingo, texting my Spanish online friend, and snooping around the Spanish Wikipedia. Now I can text my friend in crappy, Google Translate-tier messages for 80% of the time and I've only been learning Spanish for 7 months. It took me 6 months to learn to roll my Rs but I still managed to do it.

If it is possible for a la china like me, it is certainly possible for you.

When there is a will, there is a way.
>>
Empieza a practicarlo! Si lo aprendiste desde edad temprana no debes tener problema poniƩndote al corriente. Aunque no esperes hablarlo como un nativo a los dos meses, ni siquiera algunos nativos lo hablan bien despuƩs de saberlo toda su vida.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.