[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
There is a strange dog in my house, and I don't know how
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
There is a strange dog in my house, and I don't know how it got here.

...what do I do about this? All I can imagine is that it walked in while I was getting the mail and I didn't notice. I've been home for 4 hours and didn't hear her at all. She seems nice but has no collar or anything. She's just kinda sniffing around.
>>
>>16958547
who the fuck buys a book about Wikipedia?
>>
Dude. Wikipedia is free online. Come on bro
>>
Idk yo. Do you want him?
>>
>>16958579

Those are my roommate's shitty boardgames. I don't even know what the fuck that shit is about but he can't fit the shelf into his room.

I gave the dog a bowl of water. It is a female dog. She is enjoying the water and is sitting peacefully on a rug. I patted her on the head and talked nice to her and she rolled over on her back. I scratched her belly. Next steps?
>>
>>16958594

Nah, I don't want a dog.
>>
Call the wardrobe it'll detach the sphincter
>>
>>16958600
I mean if you don't want a dog and it doesn't have a tag, you could try taking it to a good shelter. The only open ones usually seem to be miles away from everything for some fucking reason, and if that's too much of a hassle and you don't really give a shit about the dog, you could just drop it off at a pound. Kind of a dick move, but honestly sometimes its all you can do.
>>
might be a missing dog, a stray, etc. you might have to call animal control or a shelter.
>>
>>16958547
where do you live? im in Tennessee atm, but im a truck driver and I go all over the place. Id take her if you could hold onto her for a week or so
>>
>>16958611

I wouldn't take her to the pound, maybe a shelter. She's so docile and friendly that I don't think she's a stray.

>>16958615
I'm in Vegas but I don't know if I want to give her to a truck driver if she turns out to be someone's dog.
>>
>>16958624

>starts thread about stray dog
>wont give it away
>wont take it to the shelter

I don't get it. Whats the purpose of this thread? Do you not know how to take care of a dog?
>>
>>16958626

I said I'd maybe take her to the shelter. Just not the pound, I don't want a dead dog on my conscience. I also don't want to give some trucker on 4chan my address to come over and pick up a dog that might belong to some family or someone that really loves it.

I was more looking for advice on finding its owner, keeping it comfortable, what to feed it or if I should feed it at all, and what I should do about keeping it from pissing and shitting in my house because I'm not a dog owner, I don't own a leash, and I don't want to try to put one on a pitbull I don't know.

I'd ask /an/ but they're slow.
>>
Call local dog shelter, to notify them of the dog. Get her scanned because they sometimes have tags in the back of their necks in case they lose their collar. Mine has one of those.

After that... well you either choose to keep her, or to leave her in their care. In the case that she ran away, or lost her way, someone will ring them if they are concerned, and you can look after her in the mean time. Otherwise you keep her.
>>
>>16958635
>I was more looking for advice on finding its owner, keeping it comfortable, what to feed it or if I should feed it at all, and what I should do about keeping it from pissing and shitting in my house because I'm not a dog owner, I don't own a leash, and I don't want to try to put one on a pitbull I don't know.

Oh, that's different. This guy >>16958636 has the right idea. If you're trying to look for it's owners and hold onto it for a bit, dogs aren't usually picky about food and sleeping. Most people would say go out and buy dog food but some meaty table scraps wouldn't hurt if you can't get it. Other than that just try to stay chill. You probably don't have to act skittish if it already surrendered for pets, but cautions always good until you figure out what it's like.
>>
>>16958651

Right on. I knocked on some doors and mostly didn't get any answers, but talked to a few neighbors and no leads on the dog. I have some chicken breasts... If I grilled up one or two and chopped them up for her, would that be okay?

Would it be cruel of me to keep her in the backyard all night? It's not freezing out, but it's going to get into the 50s.
>>
>>16958663

Dude. Keep the dog inside for a night and yes chicken will be fine. Secondly, take her to a shelter to check to see if she's been chipped. Thirdly, just go take her to a good shelter. Take ten minutes out of your day to make such a good dog a little more happy.
>>
>>16958547

This happened for a reason. Keep the dog.
>>
>>16958674

I really don't want her to get on my furniture and get it dirty - or worse, shit/piss on it and ruin it permanently. I don't really have a space I can block her into.

I'll definitely try find a good, no-kill shelter. I didn't know that was where the chip thing is (I genuinely thought it was like doggy GPS). Do the no-kill people generally have a service that can pick up the dog? Or do I have to figure out a ride? I also don't want her in my car... That's something I'm sure I can figure out, but for the sake of convenience.
>>
File: 1456406044001.jpg (50 KB, 640x421) Image search: [Google]
1456406044001.jpg
50 KB, 640x421
>>16958547
That's a cute doggo. I'd keep the doggo.
>>
I'd probably call before taking the dog to a shelter (or a vet). Make sure they have chip readers (there are two different popular types iirc) and will have the time to check.

If you think it's a neighborhood dog, post up some "found dog" fliers around the neighborhood.

You can also post a picture on the craigslist lost&found since a lot of pet owners will check there.

Hope you're able to return the dog.
>>
have you ever shot a dog in the eye with a bb gun? its fucking hilarious
>>
>>16958696

She is a sweetheart thus far, very nice dog. I sat down on the floor with her and she more or less sat in my lap.

>>16958698
Thanks for the advice on the shelters. Knowing that there's two chips is good. I'm going to get a better picture and post some flyers when it's not dark out depending on how soon I can get her to the shelter.

I'll try craigslist if all else fails too.
>>
>>16958712

No, that would not be funny for the dog or for me.
>>
>>16958547
keep her. she has come to you seeking asylum. take her to the vet asap and become best friends
>>
>>16958715
More pics of dogu pls
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>16958775

Here's one.
>>
I suggest slicing the breast meat into thick slices about 12cm across and making a nice marinade out of garlic, nutmeg, cinnamon, sriracha, and a little orange juice. Let it soak in them juices for about two hours, and pop those babies in the oven for 35 mins. Put in between a couple slices or rye, or sourdough, or texas toast, or even french bread and you got a delicious canine sammich.
>>
Put up signs around your neighborhood saying you found a dog. Do not give details about the dog except size and gender. Provide a phone number and anyone who calls, ask them to provide details about the dog before you hand her over.

You can also call local shelters, humane societies, and pounds, animal control. Ask if anyone has reported a missing dog. Give them a good amount of info on the dog so they can place the dog to the owner if the owner calls.

You can also see if any shelters can scan the dog for a microchip. Particular if the dog looks healthy, well groomed, nail trimmed, etc. A dog is more likely to be microchipped if their owners take care of them properly.

Also, is there any sign of there being a collar on her earlier? fur a little messed up, fur impressions, dust in a ring around the neck? anything?
>>
>>16958823

what if i'm out of nutmeg
>>
>>16958791
Adorable. If she turns out not to have an owner would you even consider keeping her? She's beautiful and looks harmless.
>>
>>16958831

I mean, take a look for yourselves... this is her pretty close up: >>16958791

She's not smelly more than a normal dog would be, her fur seems clean, but yeah, nothing collar-ish. And as you can see, not timid or scared. She's got a permanent tail wag going on at the moment after I gave her a piece of cheese.
>>
>>16958823
This shit is toxic. Nice try.
>>
>>16958833

Maybe, but not optimally. I'm traditionally unlucky with pets. Maybe I could rehome her since she does seem very friendly.
>>
>>16958841
I thought he meant cooking the dog.
>>
What kind of dog is this? She is so pretty.
>>
>>16958862
She's a pit bull of some sort. The name pit bull encompasses a pretty wide range of breeds and appearances.
>>
>>16958840
Don't give her too much cheese. Dogs go crazy for that shit and then they refuse to eat anything else, unless you give them cheese first.

Canines are generally lactose intolerant. Too much cheese can cause digestive problems.

t. doggo expert
>>
>>16958868
Mr dogu expert now that you are here
How much would it cost me to keep a German Shepherd annually in euro(Ireland fag)?
Should I keep the dog in the garden with a nice kennel and how do I teach him not to bark at night as in my past experiences with neighbours they seem to do a lot?
>>
>>16958868
>>16958881
Monthly costs too since I'm poor fag student earning 200 a month.
>>
>>16958547

You could go door knocking around your area and see if anyone has lost a dog, knows who it is, whilst you take it for a walk? If you want to and are prepared, and also have the proper knowledge and patience for a dog, I'd keep her. Don't take her to a pound, ultimately never ends well for the dog. A shelter is your final option if you can be bothered traveling to one.

Looks like you have kinda a bond with her already. I don't know, man, you seem like a chilled dude and most people in your situation would not handle it like you are...... Props to you my friend.
>>
>>16958840
She was probably dumped off. That's how I've ended up with most of my pets. She's clean and it doesn't look like she's fixed--probably used for breeding, until they decided to toss her.
>>
>>16959394
She doesn't look like she's been bred, though. Her nipple tissue is still flat. If they've been bred, the tissue hangs down.
>>
>>16958547

Take a picture of her, put up some flyers around the neighborhood. If she's somebody's pet, she got away, and they want her back, it's probably someone who lives pretty close to you.

Hang onto her as long as you've got the time/patience to do so, and then take her to a local shelter. If someone calls in response to the flyers, re-direct them to the shelter.

Also, if you're living in the US, it's pretty common for pet dogs to have microchips implanted these days. They can scan these chips at animal shelters and get in touch with the dog's owner directly

In the meantime - you can feed her meat, grains, bread, etc - don't go too crazy with fruits/veggies as some can be toxic for dogs, you should check online before giving her anything like that. similarly, don't go too crazy with seasonings on the meat. Plain is better. Pick up a bag of dog chow if she's gonna be with you for more than a day or two
>>
Good news /adv/! She spent a comfy night here and I went out to put up some signs. Turns out, while I put up signs, her owner was looking for her. Good dude, my age. I guess someone opened his gate and she got out.

She lives in my neighborhood and he's gonna buy me a beer for keeping her overnight.

Yay for happy endings!
>>
>>16958547
Feed her or at least give her some water and go door knocking to see if one of your neighbors is missing a dog.
>>
>>16960470
Sorry it's late here just saw you did everything you could to look after her/help her get home, awesome you found her owner.
>>
is the dogs name tara/terry/teradactyl by any chance?
>>
>>16960470
Awesome! A lot of pets don't manage to find their way home. Happy endings all around.
>>
>>16958791
That shouldn't be a stray dog, it looks well kept.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.