[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm 20 years old, and still don't feel like an adult.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: 1454813466437.gif (1010 KB, 500x269) Image search: [Google]
1454813466437.gif
1010 KB, 500x269
I'm 20 years old, and still don't feel like an adult. Nor do I feel like I understand how the world works. Is this normal?
>>
Yep. I'm 23 and I still have no idea what the fuck is going on sometimes.
>>
>>16958328
I'm 26 and still feel that way.
Yeah, it's normal.
do you have a job?
what about responsibilities?
>>
Age is but a number until you're caught with your cock in a loli. Just enjoy your naivette and avoid urban areas after dark.
>>
>>16958337

No

Currently in Uni for Computer Science
>>
>>16958344

>stick cock in loli

But I'm not 2D I'm 3D
>>
>>16958335

Not sure if I should be glad I'm not the only one
>>
>>16958352
take it easy man, focus in getting good grades.
If i were you I'd try to land an apprenticeship in your field before getting your diploma, get some experience so when you are out in the market at least you'll have something to put in your CV.
>>
Honestly at this point the only way I ever think I'll end up considering myself an adult is to have a child of my own. Maybe that'll smack something into me instinctively.

Nearly no one knows how the world works. If they did, they'd be able to rule it.
Advise: Read the 48 Laws of Power. It can be somewhat brutal, but looking at the world through realpolitik understanding has made sense so far.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u50HgccIqGA
People either talk lots of bullshit, or believe the load of bullshit that others talk. Thinking "what do they think their goal is?" helps quite a bit.
>>
>>16958328
Yeah. Your personality will always feel the same as it does now. I'm in my 40's and I still feel like highschool was a month ago.
>>
>>16958328
For many people, yes. My mom's in her 40s, has her own place and a job. She always talks about how she feels like a giant kid that never really grew up. When things pop up, she doesn't have an adult there to help her with the situation. She kind of just figures things out for herself, just like she did when she was a kid.

I'm married, in my mid to late 20s, no kids. Still feel like a giant kid most of the time. I have more responsibilities than I did previously, but I never really changed. I still love doing kid things. There should be an adult playground with mandatory tag and hide-and-seek on the weekends.
>>
File: PerfectBlue.png (811 KB, 1280x688) Image search: [Google]
PerfectBlue.png
811 KB, 1280x688
>>16958328

Op will be like this soon.
>>
>>16958328
lol ... I'm 40 and I still don't feel like an adult. Get used to it!
>>
adults are just children who have learned how to handle some degree of responsibility

everyone's just making it up as they go along

your progress through life doesn't feel so much like a steady linear movement so much as it does a series of static intervals through which you move so imperceptibly that you don't even understand you've gotten as far as you have until you realize you're somewhere else entirely
>>
>>16958387
That's all well and good. Focus on school and land a good job to make sure you don't get fucked later in life but you can't be afraid to fuck up just cause you're afraid to step out of line. Nothing educates you faster about the "Reality" of life then going through your load of hardships. Trial by fire, as i always say. Fire hurts, and also cleanses. Burn proudly my friend.
>>
>>16958328
I'm nearly 23 and I have no idea and will never have any idea what the world is and what everything this means, but at least I can admit that. I know that even though everything is ultimately insignificant, that I am less insignificant in the grand picture. Nothing makes sense, but everything will always "work" they way it is. There is a little beauty in being lost.

Things will "make sense" when you find what you love to do, but if you're an indecisive person, then maybe you'll never understand "how the world works". Everyone in life is going through the same thing as you, every one has a crisis, everyone gets lost.

You are in a very normal situation.
>>
File: aestheticc.gif (968 KB, 500x268) Image search: [Google]
aestheticc.gif
968 KB, 500x268
>>16958427

I only watched for the aesthetic desu, didn't expect it to actually be good

>>16958396
>>16958423
>>16958428

Wow even at 40? I mean it does make sense, this world is fucking big lol.
>>
>>16958391

I'll definitely check this out I've been interested in it for awhile.

>>16958387
>>16958448

Yea school is the only thing I'm focused on right now. I've managed to not succumb into peer pressure now which is also good. Was leaning towards an internship in my senior year.
>>
>>16958441

Wow that's actually true, I notice I do make changes in my life. Some good and others bad but they're very subtle, and I don't really notice them until someone points them out to me
>>
It changes when you move out.
I learned more in my first six months out of the house than I probably ever had before.
>>
>>16958328

I'm sort of nihilist, but I don't think anyone is an adult until they're in their 50s+. Simply because what we see as being an adult is really just making sound, rational decisions that takes different perspectives and experiences in mind and sets us up for situations that have low probability of failure. Which in essense anyone can make these kinds of decisions, no matter what age(except for babies, I guess).

When you put this definition to the test, you notice that not every "adult" makes the best decisions. Emotions guide us and can cloud up our perspectives and hence makes us have illogical quirks. I guarentee you, you can find at least one fault in every parent.

To go back to why I you can only truly be an adult at age 50+ is because by then you have experienced a range of emotions and have made a large amount of decisions that can help guide you towards the better decisions. However, we know that this is not always the case, that every one magically starts making the best decisions at age 50, I'm just saying that it's when I think you'll start finding people who truly are an adult rather than act like one.
>>
>>16958504
So to summarize my arm chair philosophy ramble, just go live. Don't always do the safe things, do something that you aren't comfortable with. Just live and learn. Try to find a set of beliefs that you feel helps you achieve the pursuit of happiness. You are at an age where you can make shitty decisions and still fix it down the road. Unless you do heroin...then you're kind of fucked.
>>
>>16958515

Also, when I mean I'm a nihilist, I don't believe everything is black and white. I don't think we have any purpose in life other than the values projected onto us by our parents and culture. This sounds depressing at first glance, but in my mind it makes me realize I don't have a long time on Earth so I should try to make the most of it and not fear about always fitting into a mold society expects of me. This sounds like I'm trying to sound like an edgy philosophy major cuck, but what I'm trying to say is that I find myself open to experiencing more , only restricted by decisions that will ultimately fuck up my life.
>>
I'm almost 30 and I feel like an adult only in the sense that I can take care of myself if you drop me in the middle of nowhere and I can make my own decisions. And I have a big important job with an office and paperwork and decisions.

Otherwise, I feel like a kid. I still just wanna party, play vidya, post on 4chan... that kind of thing.
>>
No. Get out more
>>
baby boomers messed everything up. its all their fault. thats all you need to know really
>>
>>16958328
>>16958352
I'm in the same boat as you, buddy

We're gonna make it
>>
>>16958328
Yep. I'm almost thirty and am completely different from when I was 20. I feel so grown up now (but not almighty).

This IS the reason why age gaps are frowned upon and should still be. People who date significantly younger people are shit only wanting to take advantage of the younger ones. Shit people do this because it's easier to manipulate people than to give effort into a relationship where you want to keep an equal partner.
>>
Turn 24 in 2 weeks,the only thing That needs to make sense to to me or work to me is the thing I do well everyday that so happens to make this currency I can exchange for resources and how I can manipulate those resources to my advantage,everything else politics,religion etc all can fuck off.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.