[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Engineering Grad.Worked Abroad. Now what?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: index.jpg (12 KB, 343x147) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
12 KB, 343x147
Need Advice.Badly!

TLDR: Finished School.4 to 5 Months Unemployed.Worked Abroad.Didn't Like the Job.Stayed for the Money. Left for GF & other. Now, back home , & lost on what to do Next.

Possible options: Army Reserve, Masters, More Job Hunting?Anything else?
-------------------------------
Finished School, Took ''Quite'' a while to find first job. Got a highly Lucrative Job Abroad...that just wasn't the right ''Fit''.

I liked the people(some), I liked the product, I liked the side work I did (Similar to what I studied in). I liked the perks. But man...oh MAN...I hated (was BORED out of my MIND) the main part of my job.

Job was supposed to be short term, I was planing to start a Masters after that....But they offered me to stay and I stayed for the **Money** ....Well...it was a great decision, because in a short while after I was debt FREE. I mean...No more student loans,
within less than a year after graduation....So that's good.

But, I left that cloud in came back to the motherland....for many reasons. Boredom, Girlfriend back home, No visible career advancement and others....

But now...I can't seem to find anything else(Been looking for 2 Weeks). Frankly Speaking, I'm not sure what I want to do.

My options:
1)-Go into the reserve(I Applied before going abroad and did all necessary steps, except interview, recruiter told me that it was still a possibility when I come back).
Deadline: Before Summer.(Because theirs the mandatory 2-3 months train only during summer time).
2) Masters. I Still have my acceptance letter and even if I didn't go last semester it still valid to start during summer or spring semesters.
Deadlines:Either this summer or august.
3)Keep Looking for a Job.

Other important details:
-Since coming back, I've been studying for a foreign language for an exam in the summer.(it Conflict with the military thing).
-Ok financial situation.
Context:
Goal after graduation:Work 1 or 2 year , pay debt,start a masters+(army reserve-New skill set)
>>
>Shameless Bump. Career Adv not popular on 4chan?
>>
>>16954887
What country are you located ?
>>
Canada.
>>
>>16954975
Canada.
>>
>>16954984
Dont know much about canada but why would you go reserve instead of full time commitment ?

Surely with your engineering degree you can apply to be an officer or an engineer ?
>>
>>16954994
I like continuous learning. So I wanted to go into the reserve to learn other skill sets on the sides. Like leadership,Self-control(I have some bad habits, that I want to lose) and probable some technical know-how from a officer job.

But, I wanted the flexibility to pursue my career path.Full time military is great, but I don't think I'll find great challenge, because, as I understand,the military invest more in other companies to makes new and interesting thing, but don't do them themselves?

Also, I'm prepare to invest 5 or more years in reserve, but I don't want to not be able to anything else than the army after?

Also the reserve is nice, because they pay a certain amount for school (Even masters) without having to give back twice the time in forced service.

I may not have all the information.I did just some rudimentary research on all of this. I may be wrong.
>>
Sorry for my bad English. It's not my first language. it's late,I'm tired, and I just don't try as much as I should when I'm online.

But I'll try to write better.
>>
>>16955014
Again I don't know the Canadian military so I may be wrong.

Not even sure what type of engineer you are ?
Most have careers for electrical and mechanical engineers.

Something like an Air Force engineer could work. You'll end up leading a team of technicians, work on aircraft, have solid job prospects when you leave.
Unfortunately it will probably be a 8 year (or more) commitment. Maybe less since they wont be paying for your degree but might be worth looking into it just to see your options.

If you want to reserve, just do that. I wish I was younger as I'd full time army or chairforce.
>>
>>16955042
>>16955042
I applied for an electro-mechanical engineering job in the reserve.2 Days a Week.

I'm a Mechanical Engineer, specialized in Mechatronics.

I would love to find a career path that could help me get more skills in electrical design (or manual electrician stuff) and programming. Because I feel, I don't know enough of those compared to mechanics.Also, Like I said earlier, core communication, leadership,management(I guess) are wanted too.:)

>Air Force? What do you mean by ''Work on aircraft''?

Why a 8 Year commitment?

Here in Canada. you have 1 summer of military training, then 1 other summer of technical training(To have normal engineers get the same additional education as those graduating from a military school). During the rest of the year, you work as a officer/normal recruit and work on the base from time to time learning basic military stuff. After all that, you can work as a official "Reserve Engineer". But that process is a minimum of 3 years?

>Or do you mean, you need to work at least 8 years in the military to have any relevant work experience or having it look good on the CV?
>>
I didn't do the summer training last year, because I applied too late. But here, we have these mandatory stepping stones, than we can work normally I guess.

But for Full time military, they can take their summer training whenever. the process is smoother.

But ya, Air force (or Aircraft Engineer, would be nice). Didn't think about that.

Another thing.

I'm started to feel insecure compare to my other alumni. I mean. 1 year after graduation, I tough i would be somewhere else in my career.
Some(Not all, we had a bad employment year here) of them, have 10 months work experience in stuff they like.

I feel that if I take a full time military job, I would ,maybe have lost, compared to them, because, I would not have made enough relevant experience in the industry or taken the easy road?Not saying at all that full time military is easy, it is a challenge in itself, and I do respect anyone who takes it.
>>
>>16955098
Full time military jobs here (aus) usually have a minimum commitment.
Just to be a rifleman (infantry) full-time is a 4 year commitment.
Full-time officer jobs usually have longer commitment periods.

The only way to get out of a commitment (as far as I know) is to either AWOL or injury (or fake depression, etc). Wouldn't look too good on a CV.
They have commitment periods so they dont waste time on someone who will change their mind after they spend time and money training you.

Reserve is different and they just expect you to commit at least X days per year.

Probably different in Canada.

>Air Force? What do you mean by ''Work on aircraft''?
The specific job I was referring to was for electrical engineers although Im sure they have similar mech. roles.
Aircraft need maintenance/repairs. Engineers are usually the leaders in this department and manage a bunch of technicians.

>I applied for an electro-mechanical engineering job in the reserve.2 Days a Week.
Sounds good. I don't think we have reserve engineers unless they are ex-full time.
>>
>>16955124
>I'm started to feel insecure compare to my other alumni

Don't compare yourself to others. There will always be someone doing better in life.
Focus on yourself and what you want to do.
>>
>>16955135
Thx. I Needed that!.:)
>>
Well, it's getting pretty late here.I'll sleep. Wish I did the post earlier and gotten more feedback (I'll check tomorrow morning,if it's not archived).

But ya. Thx a lot everyone.I'm still confuse, but I think I got from you guyz, good army ideas(Different way of viewing it).

Goodnight.:)
>>
>Bump.Tread Not dead Yet?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.